Common searches

PC Case supply drying up?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are noticeable shipping delays going on right now.
My Amazon orders that I placed last week still have not shipped.
And shipped items are taking longer than usual to arrive because of delays in the carriers fleet.

Reply 21 of 32, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote on 2020-05-14, 13:21:

An optical drive is not a necessity with GOG/Steam available, but I may get a weird "fetish" and decide to install Crysis off a disc or watch a dvd.
Guess I'm just "oldschool" at heart!

Yeah, I mean, that is case clearly aimed at retro system in brand new case. For my main modern rig, I have a case without even 5.25" bay, and I'm fine with that.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22 of 32, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the much coveted 5.25 bay has been a vital requirement in my latest searches as well.

After randomly* buying quality cases cheaply on sale (*:when there were really large discounts to be had) over the past decade, and now wanted to try to build something with them, I discovered that many were not quite suited for what I wanted, albeit very cheap (relatively) when I bought them, so no big loss.

But having gained a more specific knowlegde of what I actually would want to see in a computer case, I now suddenly found that the much 'needed' 5.25 bay was almost nowhere to be found, at least not if I wanted a full spacious tower with minimum 3x such bays.

After some research, I found a few models I liked, and that were not too costly, but finding them for sale proved nigh impossible.

So currently there seems to be 3 candidates that still are somewhat available.
In no particular order;
- the Fractal R2 XL has had good reviews
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fractal-Design-Cas … Y1c18p/23261992
($166, strangely cheaper than the black one)
- then there is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro
https://www.phanteksusa.com/collections/cases … =31733951529015 (available in the US! at $89)
- and Corsair Obsidian 750D

I also really like the Cooler Master Storm Trooper, or even better the white version, but of course these are long gone from any retail channels by now.
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cas … se/stryker.html

Of course, these are my very personal choices, and heavily influenced by the high number of external bays I want, while still enjoying a modern array of space and cooling options, so....

- Regardless, trying to be OT, I have sadly no idea where there might be some less known shops(online or otherwise) that sell old stock of the apparantly obsolete /EOL models in the US... 😐

Myself being located in Europe, it is hard to find anything older even here.

Seems like there was a 'golden age' of the big bays, starting to decline some 5-6 years ago, at least that is from when all the ('good') models I've looked at reviews for seem to hail, 2011-2014 or so.
Hence I've resorted to scouring local 'craigslist' for boxed/semi-new older models, which occationally actully pop up there.

Reply 23 of 32, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah been checking Craiglist and Facebook marketplace, but so far the only cases I've seen are beat up and over priced.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 24 of 32, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, that Craigslist of yours is a sorry sight indeed.. heh.

Even combining the state of Alabama, we're talking a mere few hundreds items in the computer category (or I am not searching correctly?).

Here, in my country, which strangely happens to have almost exactly the same number of citizens as Alabama (!), I get almost 22.000 hits on our local/national version of 'craigslist'.

- In the computer/parts category ALONE. I might add... 😁
Hence it is somewhat easier to find stuff, even boxed & nearly unused cases of my preferred models occationally.

craigslistsortof.JPG
Filename
craigslistsortof.JPG
File size
9.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Weird.

Reply 27 of 32, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope they get rid of all these cheap cases and just build good quality cases.
It’s just as easy to build something of good quality as it is to build a bad design.

Reply 28 of 32, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-05-19, 18:25:

It’s just as easy to build something of good quality as it is to build a bad design.

Now I've heard everything 🤨

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 29 of 32, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, patience always seems to pay off in the end. Found a Corsair Spec-01 on Ebay for less than 70 bucks shipping included.

Attachments

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 30 of 32, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CMB75 wrote on 2020-05-14, 13:40:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-05-14, 08:38:
I am done using cheap computer cases. They just aren’t worth it and they look cheap. Not satisfying to the mind. So I try to use […]
Show full quote

I am done using cheap computer cases. They just aren’t worth it and they look cheap. Not satisfying to the mind.
So I try to use only computer cases that will satisfy me. I really don’t care if it costs $200
For $200 you can get a nice quality case. ( Lian Li , or Fractal, or Cooler master ).
Define R5 R6, NZXT, Cooler Master Masterbox , etc ).
Personally, i like all black cases or aluminum. No RGB or glass side panels. I like it for business performance and not for show

What about the DUNE case ?
Standard edition is only $199 thru $299
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dune-pro-pc-case#/

I agree - this looks like a legit computer case. I just ordered one and payed with ApplePay - didn't get a confirmation email though.
Kind of makes me nervous with this amount of money...

Sorry to resurrect this zombie, but I'd like to let you know that this Indigogo campaign seems to be fraud after all. It set me back 314 USD and two years of waiting. Fool me once, shame on me... lessons learned.

Reply 31 of 32, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CMB75 wrote on 2022-05-20, 05:51:

Sorry to resurrect this zombie, but I'd like to let you know that this Indigogo campaign seems to be fraud after all. It set me back 314 USD and two years of waiting. Fool me once, shame on me... lessons learned.

that's a shame, whether intentional fraud or not it does look like a failed project and i hope people will get their money back - but even if so it'll be a long wait and probably involve some loss, i dont know what assurances if any apply for these kinds of projects

to be honest, i just wouldn't invest/buy anything via indigogo or similar sites - i know most of them do work out ok but if a business can't get their stuff made and sold via shops/amazon etc that means it's likely in a vulnerable financial position and might just collapse, there seems to be a greater gamble about it

Reply 32 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw this problem coming some years ago and decided to stock up on a small number of brand new cases and have been scooping up any nice case I happen to come across locally or cheaply (it's how I got my HAF 932, 2 Chieftec Dragon cases and a couple Centurion 5 cases, just to name a few).
I already got a ton of cases but from experience I know it's better to start getting what I think I'll need before it becomes practically unavailable.

Keep in mind that something like a PC case is huge compared to other stuff that people tend to not throw away or sell for cheap, so I don't expect these to be as easy to find sometime down the road compared to smaller items like perhaps old optical or harddrives or especially very small things like memory and CPUs.

The PC case you may want 5 or 10 years from now might be as difficult to have shipped your way as CRTs are these days (and then you'd better hope it comes with its original drive rails and harddrive cages etc).

So I wanted to step in early and get what I want now...or so I told myself some years ago.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!