Doom Eternal Released

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 37, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-03, 16:50:
If you care so much about artist intent, why aren't you complaining there's no 320x240 support? composite video emulation? N64 b […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote on 2020-04-03, 12:56:

I think they just wanted visuals accurate to the original intention, as the textures were made around the N64's 3-point filtering.

If you care so much about artist intent, why aren't you complaining there's no 320x240 support? composite video emulation? N64 blur emulation? CRT filters? Also what's your source on textures being made around 3-point filtering?

The art is already far removed from how it was intended. I don't buy that as the reasoning for why they haven't implemented better texture filtering, especially since they have an option to disable the 3-point filtering.

It's really pretty simple. It's a bare minimum cash grab port. Extras cost money, so we're not getting them.

No, the dude who made the engine made the 3-point filtering in Kex specifically for this release.

Reply 22 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote on 2020-04-04, 15:27:
If you care so much about artist intent, why aren't you complaining there's no 320x240 support? composite video emulation? N64 b […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote on 2020-04-03, 12:56:

I think they just wanted visuals accurate to the original intention, as the textures were made around the N64's 3-point filtering.

If you care so much about artist intent, why aren't you complaining there's no 320x240 support? composite video emulation? N64 blur emulation? CRT filters? Also what's your source on textures being made around 3-point filtering?

The art is already far removed from how it was intended. I don't buy that as the reasoning for why they haven't implemented better texture filtering, especially since they have an option to disable the 3-point filtering.

It's really pretty simple. It's a bare minimum cash grab port. Extras cost money, so we're not getting them.

No, the dude who made the engine made the 3-point filtering in Kex specifically for this release.

Not sure how that's a reply to anything I wrote?

Unless you meant that was an extra. I didn't write there weren't any, just that they're very minimal and likely to stay so. Not because of authenticity, but because of money.

Reply 23 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the other hand, it's good that the Doom64 rerelease isn't this.

Dp9fHL2UwAAUYDL?format=jpg&name=small

Dunno if kaiser will go back and backport the 3point implementation to the Turok rereleases... it's definitely a thing N64 had and gives a distinctive sheary look to textures.

I expected this from Doom64EX years ago but the new maintainers went to chase some internal modernizaiton red herring...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 24 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gosh darnit leilei, there's actually was a gzdoom mod that was essentially that image...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 25 of 37, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-04, 19:04:

Unless you meant that was an extra. I didn't write there weren't any, just that they're very minimal and likely to stay so. Not because of authenticity, but because of money.

I meant that in reply to your "I don't buy that as the reasoning for why they haven't implemented better texture filtering, especially since they have an option to disable the 3-point filtering."

Reply 26 of 37, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-02, 08:38:

With GZDoom mods, I hope you mean Doom 64 Retribution. I also hope you do not mean Brutal Doom.

What's wrong with Brutal Doom?

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 27 of 37, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-04, 19:04:

Digital Foundry put out a pretty good video of the port and they talk about how the texture filtering is made to look like the original.
https://youtu.be/7WUbyZaPRm0?t=577

Reply 28 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still not seeing why you're quoting me. You're not disagreeing with me, you're just repeating that they added three point filtering.

That doesn't mean their reason for not adding more modern features (including good texture filtering) is based on authenticity. That's just fanboys and company PR speaking.

UCyborg wrote on 2020-04-05, 11:12:
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-02, 08:38:

With GZDoom mods, I hope you mean Doom 64 Retribution. I also hope you do not mean Brutal Doom.

Everything, but nothing you're unaware of.

Reply 29 of 37, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-06, 08:56:

Let me guess, it's not 'tEh oRiG1nAl' and it's 'tOo viOlEnT', despite the fact Doom is meant to be violent. And for the record, I LOVE Brutal Doom. Sure, it's not authentic, but it's more hardcore, and I think it inspired some features of Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal eg. Glory Kills

Reply 30 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-20, 12:20:
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-06, 08:56:

Let me guess, it's not 'tEh oRiG1nAl' and it's 'tOo viOlEnT', despite the fact Doom is meant to be violent. And for the record, I LOVE Brutal Doom. Sure, it's not authentic, but it's more hardcore, and I think it inspired some features of Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal eg. Glory Kills

You're terrible at guessing. It's not that it's not the original and it's not that it's too violent. It's just shit.

Reply 32 of 37, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find Brutal Doom terribily boring. I don't know excatly why. I wanted so much to love it.

Maybe because killing demons becomes too easy with it. Or maybe because it makes too much changes to the gameplay. Also the gore and the glory kills become old real fast.

The original doesn't need Brutal Doom to be challenging and fun. The old dance with the daemons is still fun to me. Some new maps and textures are all I need.

I guess I'm set in my old ways, sometimes.

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2020-05-20, 20:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 37, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-20, 12:20:

I LOVE Brutal Doom. Sure, it's not authentic, but it's more hardcore, and I think it inspired some features of Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal eg. Glory Kills

When I saw the Glory Kills in Doom (2016) I also thought at first they were inspired by Brutal Doom; however, turns out the concept already existed in the unreleased "Doom 4" project as early as 2008, way before Brutal Doom had it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 34 of 37, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-05-20, 20:32:

When I saw the Glory Kills in Doom (2016) I also thought at first they were inspired by Brutal Doom; however, turns out the concept already existed in the unreleased "Doom 4" project as early as 2008, way before Brutal Doom had it.

Unreleased Doom 4? 2008? I didn't know THAT was a thing.

Reply 35 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there's also asset theft/no credits/no permission/terrible bigot creator reasons, as well as author displacement misattributing zdoom's 20-year-old base features as newly invented BD features. On smaller less doom focused places, there's always at least one trying to "enlighten" about it.... it's nothing new to me like seeing Postal 2 / Dubya-era Duke3d bootlegs/ JFK Reloaded pushed around before like edgy forbidden stuff.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 36 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-20, 20:17:

Shit? How is that so? Not offended at all, just curious.

Not sure I believe you. Why are you curious about my opinion specifically? You can just Google and find plenty of reasons people dislike Brutal Doom. Just assume it's some of them.

Reply 37 of 37, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-21, 09:50:

Not sure I believe you. Why are you curious about my opinion specifically? You can just Google and find plenty of reasons people dislike Brutal Doom. Just assume it's some of them.

*googles to see just what the fuss is about* 😳

Oooookaaay, I actually had no idea SgtMarkIV was THAT much of a douchebag. Even encouraged suicide... Wow, that's too freaking much. Welp, off to the shit list he goes.