Gameport device not connected

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-05-20, 20:16:
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-20, 18:42:

Ah, wait. But you did install the Sidewinder Software 3.x, didn't you? It will not work without it, as it has no fallback mode to work as an ordinary analog joystick/-pad (unlike the Sidewinder 3D and the Gamepad). It will also not work in DOS because of this.

The Sidewinder Freestyle works perfectly in DOS, been using it for years.

I thought I remember using it in DOS, although at the moment I am trying to get it working in Windows 98. I know it is at least getting power as the light comes on and even toggles the motion/dpad control...

Reply 21 of 28, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will need to try out the Freestyle pro in DOS, that'd be cool, It does need the correct drivers to work in windows though before it'll show up, might need to remove any other sidewinder devices and refresh to get it showing.

Reply 23 of 28, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-20, 21:35:

thanks will give it a try.

Edit:
generic game pad shows not connected as well... tried 3 game port cables...

Reply 24 of 28, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-05-20, 21:27:

In plain DOS, yes, with the Freestyle in analog mode, games just go through the usual joystick calibration routine.
I played old flight sims with it, like Wings of Glory, Xwing and Tie Fighter Dos collectors editions, racing games like Indycar, stuff like that.

I think there was only one version, mine has the usb adapter too, and i pretty much bought it soon after it was released.

Only one version, but they don't to my knowledge and testing work under DOS as they can't communicate even in analogue mode, unless you're thinking of the 3D pro and not the freestyle pro(freestyle pro is the gamepad with motion control 3D pro is the joystick) The 3D pro does have limited dos support, the later controllers don't have that.

Reply 27 of 28, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-20, 22:14:

Only one version, but they don't to my knowledge and testing work under DOS as they can't communicate even in analogue mode, unless you're thinking of the 3D pro and not the freestyle pro(freestyle pro is the gamepad with motion control 3D pro is the joystick) The 3D pro does have limited dos support, the later controllers don't have that.

The Freestyle Pro with the bad dpad that came bundled with the first Motocross Madness game, i'm not mistaken.
I only had Logitech joysticks before buying the Freestyle, and I only used that one since both joysticks had issues.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 28 of 28, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-05-21, 09:13:
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-20, 22:14:

The Freestyle Pro with the bad dpad that came bundled with the first Motocross Madness game, i'm not mistaken.
I only had Logitech joysticks before buying the Freestyle, and I only used that one since both joysticks had issues.

That's interesting, what way is it connected? to a specific sound card? Mine isn't even detected, I got excited there for a bit that it might work would be cool to play some games with, the original sidewinder gamepad gets detected but isn't usable .

Might be worth breaking into another topic for this as it deviates from the main post 🤣 I don't want to hijack