Reply 1040 of 2072, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2020-05-16, 06:04:

4k needs at least 55" to have visible pixels
This way pixels are same size as on a 20" 1600x1200

I can see individual pixels just fine at 27", then again "visible pixels" might be some obscure criteria of yours for the appearance of pixels.

Reply 1042 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Z10lVb6m.jpg

i mean, judge for yourself. The gold bar at the top is roughly 1/4 of an inch tall on the screen. I have no issue reading anything.

Getting roughly 50fps, and I do have a mild overclock on the card. I think this monitor has freesync. The image doesn't tear at all. Scrolls smooth, even on my 480.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1044 of 2072, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a few new HDDs, because well:

aaa.png
Filename
aaa.png
File size
24.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This thing is obviously not reliable. Despite showing no other signs of failure. Not sure what I want to do with it. It would be a shame to throw away a working drive but I can't think of anything I want to rely on it for.

In addition my WD20SPZX failed me (entirely, it just died). I've had two WD20SPZX drives fail both within a year (one was a warranty replacement), so I'm not exactly going to trust the new warranty replacement to survive much use either. That one I'll just store some static backup files on.

I ordered a WD My Passport 4TB to replace the WD20SPZX. I'm guessing it's just a two platter variant of the unreliable WDS20SPZX, but it's got a three year warranty so I can use if for moving stuff around. Options for 2.5" HDDs seem terrible, there's three manufacturers, but Toshiba/WD doesn't want to sell SATA variants and Seagate reliability is from my experience even worse than WD.

I ordered a WD40EZRZ to replace the failing desktop drive. Might reduce noise some too to replace a black with a blue (which is actually a rebranded green) and I don't need speed anyway.

I also bought a WD40EZRZ last week. It seems to be working well though I admit I'm too lazy to do a extended s.m.a.r.t test for new drives even though I know I should. At least I have... 2 years to do it. HDD manufacturers really are slashing warranty lengths (yes I know reds would have 3 year warranties, still bad).

Reply 1045 of 2072, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wirerogue wrote on 2020-04-05, 03:58:
nos dell dimension xps gen 4. it has pcie so we'll call this one modern. not sure of the exact specs yet. it was way too shiny f […]
Show full quote

nos dell dimension xps gen 4.
it has pcie so we'll call this one modern.
not sure of the exact specs yet.
it was way too shiny for me to pass up.
can't wait to peel the plastic.
dell.xps.gen.4.jpg
fresh bloatware
fresh.bloat.jpg

Dude you got a dell!
Where did you find that old NOS dell?

Reply 1046 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-19, 13:18:
Bought a few new HDDs, because well: aaa.png This thing is obviously not reliable. Despite showing no other signs of failure. No […]
Show full quote

aaa.png
This thing is obviously not reliable. Despite showing no other signs of failure. Not sure what I want to do with it. It would be a shame to throw away a working drive but I can't think of anything I want to rely on it for.

In addition my WD20SPZX failed me (entirely, it just died). I've had two WD20SPZX drives fail both within a year (one was a warranty replacement), so I'm not exactly going to trust the new warranty replacement to survive much use either. That one I'll just store some static backup files on.

I ordered a WD My Passport 4TB to replace the WD20SPZX. I'm guessing it's just a two platter variant of the unreliable WDS20SPZX, but it's got a three year warranty so I can use if for moving stuff around. Options for 2.5" HDDs seem terrible, there's three manufacturers, but Toshiba/WD doesn't want to sell SATA variants and Seagate reliability is from my experience even worse than WD.

I ordered a WD40EZRZ to replace the failing desktop drive. Might reduce noise some too to replace a black with a blue (which is actually a rebranded green) and I don't need speed anyway.

I also bought a WD40EZRZ last week. It seems to be working well though I admit I'm too lazy to do a extended s.m.a.r.t test for new drives even though I know I should. At least I have... 2 years to do it. HDD manufacturers really are slashing warranty lengths (yes I know reds would have 3 year warranties, still bad).

Had a 20GB HDD in my ThinkPad R40 laptop that had no fitness and very low performance. Surprised the drive worked, but took minutes to load. Switched to a 40GB (cloned the 20GB to the 40GB) HDD that works with good fitness and performance, then to a 500GB SSD and loads faster than before. Kept the 40GB and installed it in my T42.

Heck, my 11 year old Seagate 1TB still runs and a 25+ year old Seagate 428.1MB still runs great.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1047 of 2072, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-05-20, 02:37:
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-19, 13:18:
Bought a few new HDDs, because well: aaa.png This thing is obviously not reliable. Despite showing no other signs of failure. No […]
Show full quote

aaa.png

Had a 20GB HDD in my ThinkPad R40 laptop that had no fitness and very low performance. Surprised the drive worked, but took minutes to load. Switched to a 40GB (cloned the 20GB to the 40GB) HDD that works with good fitness and performance, then to a 500GB SSD and loads faster than before. Kept the 40GB and installed it in my T42.

Heck, my 11 year old Seagate 1TB still runs and a 25+ year old Seagate 428.1MB still runs great.

I have two Seagate ST4000DM000 in RAID-1 at 54000 power-on hours (over 6 years non-stop) in a NAS . Probably should replace them to be safe, but I have backups anyway so no real hurry. Still, impressive .

Reply 1048 of 2072, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-19, 13:57:
nos dell dimension xps gen 4. it has pcie so we'll call this one modern. not sure of the exact specs yet. it was way too shiny f […]
Show full quote

dell.xps.gen.4.jpg
fresh bloatware
fresh.bloat.jpg

Dude you got a dell!

found it on ebay.

just picked up this case from the same seller
cooler master war machine.
comes in a plain white box with no markings other than the product label.
appears to be a modified version of the stacker 832.
i'm planning a 9800gtx sli build for this case which will also include 85 fans and 39 hard drives by the looks of the case 8-P.

cooler.master.war.machine.label.jpg
Filename
File size
539.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
cooler.master.war.machine.iso.jpg
Filename
File size
793.81 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
cooler.master.war.machine.door.jpg
Filename
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
cooler.master.war.machine.interior.jpg
Filename
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
cooler.master.war.machine.skull.jpg
Filename
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1050 of 2072, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wirerogue wrote on 2020-05-21, 01:50:
found it on ebay. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

dell.xps.gen.4.jpg
fresh bloatware
fresh.bloat.jpg

Dude you got a dell!

found it on ebay.

i'm planning a 9800gtx sli build for this case which will also include 85 fans and 39 hard drives by the looks of the case 8-P.

link to seller ?

Reply 1051 of 2072, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-21, 02:23:
found it on ebay. […]
Show full quote

Dude you got a dell!

found it on ebay.

link to seller ?

they don't really like us to link to stuff on ebay but, if you just google "cooler master war machine" it will link you to the only seller.

Reply 1052 of 2072, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wirerogue wrote on 2020-05-21, 02:47:
found it on ebay. […]
Show full quote

found it on ebay.

link to seller ?

they don't really like us to link to stuff on ebay but, if you just google "cooler master war machine" it will link you to the only seller.

sorry for asking mr stingy... blocked

Reply 1053 of 2072, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-21, 02:52:
wirerogue wrote on 2020-05-21, 02:47:

link to seller ?

sorry for asking mr stingy... blocked

did you just block me for telling you exactly how to find the ebay seller without violating the forum rules? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reply 1054 of 2072, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's what I thought too... 😆

But, he might be from a different country or something ?, and perhaps tried searching only within ebay itself, and not google - as when I first tried on ebay, _nothing_ appeared, until I changed to the (american) ebay.com site AND also had to put 'ship-to' location as the USA.
Then the sole hit magically appeared...

-- BUT.... a google search, as was your actual suggestion (!), works fine of course, very first hit you get.... 👍

PS: only 13 such cases left now.

Reply 1056 of 2072, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nos cooler master centurion 534.
i'm going to try and fit an 8800 ultra into this one.
wish me luck.

cooler.master.534.box.jpg
Filename
cooler.master.534.box.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
cooler.master.534.iso.jpg
Filename
cooler.master.534.iso.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1057 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are a BUNCH of these motherboards (in and out of 1u chassis) on ePay. Other sellers are selling just the motherboard, some have fully turnkey systems.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124178077234

While I generally dismiss single socket systems, this micro atx board comes standard with SIX 10Gb copper ethernet ports (and 2x 1Gb) And for the price, I just found my new pfsense box. ^.^ for the record, I'll be using the 10g ports to interconnect my two workstations and my nas, thus removing the need for a switch. Plus its copper!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1058 of 2072, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2020-05-23, 01:29:

There are a BUNCH of these motherboards (in and out of 1u chassis) on ePay. Other sellers are selling just the motherboard, some have fully turnkey systems.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124178077234

While I generally dismiss single socket systems, this micro atx board comes standard with SIX 10Gb copper ethernet ports (and 2x 1Gb) And for the price, I just found my new pfsense box. ^.^ for the record, I'll be using the 10g ports to interconnect my two workstations and my nas, thus removing the need for a switch. Plus its copper!

DOH, where were these when I was re-building my NAS ?