VOGONS

First post, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Im using a system with a 430VX chipset, the ps/2 mouse works perfectly fine under MSDOS using CuteMouse but when i enter windows 3.11 the system hangs.

Things i have tried:
* If i unplug the ps/2 mouse windows 3.11 does not hang;
* if i disable cutemouse driver the system hangs too;

I have not tried a serial mouse because i don't have one.

The mouse im using is a ps/2 trackball integrated in a Compaq MX11800 keyboard.

Does anyone know what could be the issue?

Edit: I could make it not hang but there is now way to make the mouse work in 3.11.
Is there any driver like cutemouse for 3.11?

Reply 3 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what happens if you use microsoft's mouse.com ? still issues?
I've had ctmouse not working with win3x in some systems in the past

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 11, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it seems that it was the ps/2 data signal, the rise time was slow and it caused the other drivers not to work properly, it seems that in the factory they added a diode between the data signal and 5 V which made the rise time slower.

I removed this diode and it started to work:

54PWQsnlORJTz7dbwVV_4U7u_MtYB4QOgadk1CNbHI87pwfQT0p-4ACB9VJ5Z2654YhzzU3_8Gc0JLsj3L1-ZZzbjG6RyWs7N-Y6DOZMBEHNN9ivc6hONWeHL4nI8gRTJ0KY_Z7A3_M=w600-h800-p-k

Last edited by CachoAlpuy on 2020-05-25, 18:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-20, 16:13:

I removed this diode and it started to work

BTW, your photo isn't showing up. Looks like you tried to use Google Photos?

You can attach the photo here just fine if you'd like (should be the easiest).

If you *really* want to use Google Photos, try my advice here:
Re: Televideo Telewave Audio 32 sound card, questions about its onboard wavetable ROM

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 11, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it seems that it was the ps/2 data signal, the rise time was slow and it caused the other drivers not to work properly, it seems that in the factory they added a diode between the data signal and 5 V which made the rise time slower.

This is interesting. Did this fix the hang in Windows 3.11 when cutemouse was loaded, or did this fix the other mouse drivers? I'll check my board for a diode when I have a minute.

I just assumed the hang was just a compatibility issue between cutemouse and Windos 3.1, so I automated unloading cutemouse before launching win.com on my system with a couple of *.bat files.

Reply 8 of 11, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-05-22, 03:55:
BTW, your photo isn't showing up. Looks like you tried to use Google Photos? […]
Show full quote

Re: Televideo Telewave Audio 32 sound card, questions about its onboard wavetable ROM

Can you see the photo now?

Reply 9 of 11, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
johnnycontrario wrote on 2020-05-23, 17:40:

This is interesting. Did this fix the hang in Windows 3.11 when cutemouse was loaded, or did this fix the other mouse drivers? I'll check my board for a diode when I have a minute.

I just assumed the hang was just a compatibility issue between cutemouse and Windos 3.1, so I automated unloading cutemouse before launching win.com on my system with a couple of *.bat files.

I dont know if it fixed other mouse driver, maybe yes, i didnt have to disable cutemouse to make it work in win 3.11.

Reply 10 of 11, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my system, loading Win 3.1 with cutemouse loaded does not cause the system to freeze, the mouse simply doesn't work in Windows. I haven't put much thought in to the issue until now. My only concern about removing the diode on your mouse is it may have been added for circuit protection; either to protect your motherboard or the mouse. I wonder if substituting a different spec diode would be possible.

Looking at the sourceforge bug page for cutemouse, there may be a compatibility issue with Win 3.1. According to this bug report, version 1.9 may work without modifying hardware, while the newer versions may not. The project doesn't look like it's in active development, and the Win 3.1 issue does not look like it has been addressed. I'll give version 1.9 a shot next time I have the 486 out.
https://sourceforge.net/p/cutemouse/bugs/1/

Reply 11 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CachoAlpuy wrote on 2020-05-25, 18:47:
Stiletto wrote on 2020-05-22, 03:55:
BTW, your photo isn't showing up. Looks like you tried to use Google Photos? […]
Show full quote

Can you see the photo now?

Yes! Good job 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto