VOGONS

Dead CPU or Dead Motherboard, or both ?

Topic actions

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

So I got the Slot 1 CPU and Slot 1 Motherboard today.

Powered it up and CPU and PSU fan spin, Case Fan attached to the Motherboard does not. No video out.

Tried clearing CMOS, Tried a different video card, also tried everything disconnected but video card. And did try some different memory to but all i had was some 66mhz stuff, but again same results overall.

Any suggestions ?

Reply 2 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The motherboard was sold as tested/working.

The CPU was sold as "Worked when I last used it but put in storage for an unknown amount of time"

So I suspect the CPU ?

Reply 3 of 46, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

model /rand of the motherboard?
model of the CPU?
replaced the CMOS battery?
All the other components are known good and work in another system?

Reply 4 of 46, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is the cpu compatible with the motherboard ?

Reply 6 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:29:

is the cpu compatible with the motherboard ?

I assume so ? its not a Coppermine and as far as I am aware those are the only CPUs that may have issues on this board.

Reply 7 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The thing I think that tells me something is really really wrong is the fan plugged into the case fan header does not spin up, however the CPU and PSU fan do ?

Reply 8 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:05:

Get a Diagnostic Tester POST Card and check how far things get

Cant really wait on getting something like that from China due to any returns/refunds needed for ether the CPU or Mobo, normal China post takes a month at the best of times and these are not the best of times.

Reply 9 of 46, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see it came with one, you can be sure that is dead or dying (low voltage in-circuit) and can cause symptoms like this.

Reply 10 of 46, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any beep codes?

Reply 11 of 46, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another idea: Try changing JP8 (Power Failure Recovery) to 2-3 and try turning the PC on using the PSU switch.

Reply 12 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-22, 14:59:

I see it came with one, you can be sure that is dead or dying (low voltage in-circuit) and can cause symptoms like this.

Replaced it with a known good one from another motherboard(i.e it was keeping settings with no AC fine) and still nothing.

Reply 13 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-05-22, 15:20:

Another idea: Try changing JP8 (Power Failure Recovery) to 2-3 and try turning the PC on using the PSU switch.

This did not work ether, also I double checked the PC100 RAM in a Socket 7 system and it is fine.

So pretty much the only thing I have not tried is another CPU because I simply do not have another Slot 1 CPU here.

Reply 14 of 46, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cmos battery and jumper?

Reply 15 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-22, 15:45:

cmos battery and jumper?

Tried a different CMOS battery, checked all jumpers are correct.

I have I think done everything I can do and no luck, so given what I have said would my prime suspect be indeed the CPU ?

Reply 16 of 46, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

removed the CPU and see if you get any beeps. My money is on a bad board however.

Reply 17 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-22, 16:21:

removed the CPU and see if you get any beeps. My money is on a bad board however.

i dont have a PC speaker also the board was tested before shipping and the CPU was not so I am not sure.

Reply 18 of 46, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't you have a case from which you can borrow the PC speaker for a test? Trying to diagnose a motherboard/CPU problem without a speaker or POST card is an exercise in frustration...

Reply 19 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no source for a PC speaker at all no.