VOGONS

First post, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again and sorry for all the questions but you guys have helped me a ton already. I have installed a soundblaster card to my 486 computer that is running DOS 6.22. I have found drivers where the user that I got them from says that they work specifically for my card and for DOS 6.22. I started installing the drivers when it said I needed EMM. I typed the EMM command on the main prompt and it said I needed EMM drivers. So now I'm asking where do I find these drivers? Are they already on the computer somewhere and I need to load them or do I need to find them online and put them on a disk and put it on my computer? Thanks for the help yet again.

Reply 1 of 3, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha I don't mind answering as you are giving me a lot of nostalgia for around 10-14 years old.
My guess is you need to add in config.sys:

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe noems

and reboot.
I'll leave it up to you to research the meaning behind this and the other things/tweakage it lets you do. But boiling it down, emm386 adds the ability to take advantage of some of the memory capabilities in 386 and later processors. Remember plain DOS is compatible all the way back to the original 8086.
If you haven't looked at the HELP command in DOS 6.22 it's really good, I'd say better than documentation today for conciseness...
If you can find a second hand copy of DOS for Dummies, that should be informative too.

Reply 2 of 3, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-05-23, 03:33:
Haha I don't mind answering as you are giving me a lot of nostalgia for around 10-14 years old. My guess is you need to add in c […]
Show full quote

Haha I don't mind answering as you are giving me a lot of nostalgia for around 10-14 years old.
My guess is you need to add in config.sys:

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe noems

and reboot.
I'll leave it up to you to research the meaning behind this and the other things/tweakage it lets you do. But boiling it down, emm386 adds the ability to take advantage of some of the memory capabilities in 386 and later processors. Remember plain DOS is compatible all the way back to the original 8086.
If you haven't looked at the HELP command in DOS 6.22 it's really good, I'd say better than documentation today for conciseness...
If you can find a second hand copy of DOS for Dummies, that should be informative too.

Thanks again you are the man. I do know a bit about computers (I like to think so anyways) so I should be able to run with this. I'll try anyways.