First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I found today the following:

Matrox Millennium II
S3 Savage 4 GT

PowerVR(The 3d only accelerator type)

What would be the best of these, or the best to combo with the PowerVR and so on ?

Reply 2 of 15, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote on 2020-05-16, 20:16:

Only the PowerVR board has noteworthy library. So I would pair it with the Savage 4.

Would the PVR be better then the Savage 4 ? 3d wise, becuse I think the Millennium may be better then the Savage 4 2d wise but not better then it 3d wise ?

Reply 3 of 15, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PowerVR was a piece of crap during its time, sold at cheap price of $99. Since it was a crap, not many people actually bought it and so not many are available now for after-market sale. Today, it is a piece of collection due to the curve of supply vs demand. Many people wanted one but not many were available for sale, so the value ballooned. This has nothing to do with the hardware capability and usability per se, simply because it is a rare piece of hardware for collection, particularly for the VOGONS community.

Reply 4 of 15, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-05-16, 22:50:

PowerVR was a piece of crap during its time, sold at cheap price of $99. Since it was a crap, not many people actually bought it and so not many are available now for after-market sale. Today, it is a piece of collection due to the curve of supply vs demand. Many people wanted one but not many were available for sale, so the value ballooned. This has nothing to do with the hardware capability and usability per se, simply because it is a rare piece of hardware for collection, particularly for the VOGONS community.

I bought mine when it came out, the one I have here is the same one infact.

Reply 5 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same. Many have it. They were 3dfx's strongest rival for a while for a reason. No way were they a rarity no one wanted then, given the alternatives of what were available at the time for much higher/slower/notworkingwithGLQuakeatthetimewhichwasveryrelevant (Rendition, Rage, Mystique, ViRGE) .

Xs1nX wrote on 2020-05-16, 20:19:

Would the PVR be better then the Savage 4 ? 3d wise, becuse I think the Millennium may be better then the Savage 4 2d wise but not better then it 3d wise ?

Millenium II's an improved Mystique, and Savage4 is definitely leagues ahead of Mystique and PowerVR 3d-wise in that it supports blending functions which is a total game changer 😜

The most NOT fitting with the PowerVR card would be a nVidia Geforce of any kind. Stability issues abound then... and probably Cyrix6x86 systems that use bad PCI clocks.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 15, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xs1nX wrote on 2020-05-17, 00:30:

Good for you. If you ever decide to trade it, it can sell for more value than you had paid (without considering inflation) 😁.

Reply 11 of 15, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xs1nX wrote on 2020-05-23, 16:17:
Putas wrote on 2020-05-23, 15:21:

What is your criteria?

The relative 3d performance and features, or lack thereof.

Then the Savage4 is all you need.

Reply 13 of 15, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attempting to install the Savage 4 GT results in a lock up on restart ? the drivers I have (from the Vogons driver site) seem to be for AGP Savage 4 GT cards but mine is a PCI card.. The PCI Savage 4's get very very little mention at all on any site that I can see which is a bit off putting.

Anyone have a link to other drivers I could try ?

This is on the Socket 7 System, not the Super Socket 7(its dead) or the Slot 1 system(its dead but replacement CPU is in progress)

Reply 14 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2020-05-17, 06:58:
Xs1nX wrote on 2020-05-17, 00:30:

Good for you. If you ever decide to trade it, it can sell for more value than you had paid (without considering inflation) 😁.

You sure accounting for inflation $99 in 1996 is $161 today

Reply 15 of 15, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like my PowerVR cards. They're a great add-on for those SGL API games I play .

Attachments

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP