VOGONS

First post, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone,

I am playing System Shock (CD version) on a Pentium 133 with an AWE32 (PNP), configured for AWE32 music.
If I increase the resolution in the game options, it runs decently but the music slows down whenever I move the mouse. This does not happen when running the game at the default res of 320x200.

I'm using CTMOUSE.EXE version 2.0, but have tried 1.9 as well; if I switch to MOUSE.COM, it resolves the problem... but I would really like to use CTMOUSE if possible due its much smaller memory footprint.

Has anyone encountered this? I have searched here and found that SOFTMPU has been reported to have a similar issue when using CTMOUSE, though CTMOUSE v.2.0 seems to solve the issue for SOFTMPU.

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-05-23, 17:25:

I'm using CTMOUSE.EXE version 2.0, but have tried 1.9 as well; if I switch to MOUSE.COM, it resolves the problem... but I would really like to use CTMOUSE if possible due its much smaller memory footprint.

Have you tried one of the CTMouse Beta 2.1 versions ? http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-05-23, 17:25:
Hello everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone,

I am playing System Shock (CD version) on a Pentium 133 with an AWE32 (PNP), configured for AWE32 music.
If I increase the resolution in the game options, it runs decently but the music slows down whenever I move the mouse. This does not happen when running the game at the default res of 320x200.

Has anyone encountered this? I have searched here and found that SOFTMPU has been reported to have a similar issue when using CTMOUSE, though CTMOUSE v.2.0 seems to solve the issue for SOFTMPU.

As a test try Microsoft mouse ver 9 or above (it's a resource hog at 25kb, but just run as a test to see if it fixes the slowdown). I find it the most compatible and stable mouse driver around if you have enough free upper mem.
Also when you said you tried cutemouse 2.0, did you try this version, 2.0A4 http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/download/cutemouse20a4.zip, it uses uses direct hardware access for PS/2 mice instead of the bios. V1.9 and V2.1 use the bios.

Reply 3 of 3, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the help guys!

I tried CTMouse 2.1 but no luck, still getting the slowdown.
I switched to mouse.com and it fixed the slowdown (and default sensitivity seems much higher/better than ctmouse), but used up a big chunk of my memory. I was able to go in and make some tweaks to bring me back up to just over 600k free, so now it's good to go!