VOGONS

First post, by jamesp15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was recently given this Voodoo2 with a very blown memory chip.

Outside of the very obvious chip that is blown, I do not see any other physical damage (but my very tired eyes may deceive me, so asking second opinions here.)

Should I replace all 4 chips in that bank? or would it be enough to replace just the blown chip?
I have sourced some "100mhz" EliteMT chips, I know its Mosel "90mhz" chips on there now, would that make any real difference? (I know it will run at whatever the card is set to, most likely 90mhz, was just thinking if there might be some timing issues or the like if I replaced just the one chip)

Also have to give the card a very thorough Isopropyl bath and toothbrush scrub, it has a layer of grime stuck to it.

Click on image for full res versions, if you need higher res I can scan the card in my scanner.)
IMG_0084sm.JPG
IMG_0085sm.JPG

Reply 1 of 3, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While you should be able to swap the ram chip without issues. I would give that card a really good check for bent legs and short circuits. Do you happen to know the history of that card or what caused that failure?

Reply 2 of 3, by jamesp15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately no history, it was given to me along with a bunch of other cards that pretty much are all functional.

It is a 12mb voodoo2 with 12 chips (only chips on one side, back of card is bare), instead of the more normal (in my experience) 24 chips. So the memory chips are 512kx16 instead of the 256kx16 used on all my other Voodoo2's and the spare chips I happen to have on hand. Ugh. Gotta source some 512x16 chips now. Datasheet for the chips confirm 512kx16.