VOGONS

First post, by Lt904

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I should start this post by saying that I am not very experienced with setting up a DOS system, I’m of an age where I spent a lot of time gaming on a DOS system back in the day but I was young enough at the time that my dad set the system up and usually all I had to do was just cd to the game directory and run the exe in order to play my games.

I am absolutely at my wit’s end and was wondering if anyone has any advice. I have a Toshiba satellite pro 4600 laptop with a Yamaha ac-xg soundcard built in. I know Yamaha cards have been discussed on this forum and many other sites online before and I hesitate to duplicate posts, but I can’t get the card to work under a pure DOS 6.22 environment, DOS mode under Win98SE, freeDOS... I have searched high and low and tried every setting and utility I can find online, I just can’t get the card to work. When using any DOS game setup program the card isn’t detected and there’s, of course, no sound in game. I’ve tried the various utilities out there to initialise the card but it’s not detected, I’ve tried every combination of SET BLASTER settings in autoexec.bat and still nothing. The card works fine under 98SE but I just can’t get it to be detected in DOS.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lt904 wrote on 2020-05-24, 01:24:
Hello all, […]
Show full quote

Hello all,

I should start this post by saying that I am not very experienced with setting up a DOS system, I’m of an age where I spent a lot of time gaming on a DOS system back in the day but I was young enough at the time that my dad set the system up and usually all I had to do was just cd to the game directory and run the exe in order to play my games.

I am absolutely at my wit’s end and was wondering if anyone has any advice. I have a Toshiba satellite pro 4600 laptop with a Yamaha ac-xg soundcard built in. I know Yamaha cards have been discussed on this forum and many other sites online before and I hesitate to duplicate posts, but I can’t get the card to work under a pure DOS 6.22 environment, DOS mode under Win98SE, freeDOS... I have searched high and low and tried every setting and utility I can find online, I just can’t get the card to work. When using any DOS game setup program the card isn’t detected and there’s, of course, no sound in game. I’ve tried the various utilities out there to initialise the card but it’s not detected, I’ve tried every combination of SET BLASTER settings in autoexec.bat and still nothing. The card works fine under 98SE but I just can’t get it to be detected in DOS.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news .
The AC-XG series has no DOS functionality . The datasheet makes no mention of it. There is no software for it .
The DS-XG series is the one with DOS functionality .

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the description of this forum: "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware." Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers