VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I collected a lot of Lives expecting to use them in a bunch of builds...until I found out just how incompatible with Via chipsets of the era they were. Now I have a big box of definitely non-live Lives waiting for nothing.

Reply 1 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-01, 19:36:

I collected a lot of Lives expecting to use them in a bunch of builds...until I found out just how incompatible with Via chipsets of the era they were. Now I have a big box of definitely non-live Lives waiting for nothing.

If they are non-live as in not installed but functional, they may be worth hanging on to . If nothing else, you've got spares. I seem to recall reading somewhere (a long time ago) that they were particularly sensitive to ESD . I don't know how much truth there is to that .

Reply 2 of 12, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's weird. I haven't had any issues with my SB Live! cards on VIA Apollo Pro 100 and 133T chipsets. What exactly is that incompatibility? Also, Live! Drives look awesome, despite not being necessary for gaming. They appear to be much rarer, though, like, I only saw one once, but it belonged to someone else...

Last edited by TechieDude on 2020-06-01, 22:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-06-01, 22:35:
So that explains it […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-06-01, 18:35:

They are "live" after all . Maybe they're reproducing behind our backs 😀

So that explains it

That's weird. I haven't had any issues with my SB Live! cards on VIA Apollo Pro 100 and 133T chipsets. What exactly is that incompatibility?

PCI bus protocol implementation, Creative crapped it and Via was a bit too strict. It's quite a well known issue. You must have got lucky.

Reply 6 of 12, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-01, 22:45:

I thought Apollo Pro was widely affected, and I believe all Live cardsm in fact Audigy was affected too, and only until Audigy2 was it fixed to my knowledge.

...Which surprises me even more that I haven't had issues... Since my Google-fu is kinda failing me, what exactly did that incompatibility entail? Did it garble sound, make the card invisible to the system, crash the entire OS or something else..? Yes, I'm completely oblivious to that bug.

Reply 7 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-06-01, 23:14:
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-01, 22:45:

I thought Apollo Pro was widely affected, and I believe all Live cardsm in fact Audigy was affected too, and only until Audigy2 was it fixed to my knowledge.

...Which surprises me even more that I haven't had issues... Since my Google-fu is kinda failing me, what exactly did that incompatibility entail? Did it garble sound, make the card invisible to the system, crash the entire OS or something else..? Yes, I'm completely oblivious to that bug.

Likely card won't be detected. This has plenty of results https://www.google.com/search?q=sb+live+via+c … hipset+problems

Reply 8 of 12, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-01, 23:36:

Likely card won't be detected. This has plenty of results https://www.google.com/search?q=sb+live+via+c … hipset+problems

And that explains it all. It just can't share IRQ's without crapping itself and in my configurations they just didn't have to share IRQ's anyway. I wasn't lucky, I was just using the workaround without even knowing. Thanks for the info. I think I got a little wiser today. 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have my VIA chipset detail handy, but it's a low end Acer Aspire mobo that I found in trash and turned into a PIII Win98 build. I had watched Phil's vid on the SB Live which mentioned possible VIA issues. Then I found an SB0100 for cheap, and yep, issues.

Some games had partial sound, and some had none at all. Eventually I saw in dxdiag that there was no dxsound device recognised. I went back to onboard sound, and the SB0100 now awaits an Intel-based build.

Reply 11 of 12, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-06-03, 21:53:

I don't have my VIA chipset detail handy, but it's a low end Acer Aspire mobo that I found in trash and turned into a PIII Win98 build. I had watched Phil's vid on the SB Live which mentioned possible VIA issues. Then I found an SB0100 for cheap, and yep, issues.

Some games had partial sound, and some had none at all. Eventually I saw in dxdiag that there was no dxsound device recognised. I went back to onboard sound, and the SB0100 now awaits an Intel-based build.

Do you recall what drivers you used and if the card shared IRQs with anything? From what I saw, the card had issues with WDM drivers and IRQ sharing.

Reply 12 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2020-06-03, 22:00:

Do you recall what drivers you used and if the card shared IRQs with anything? From what I saw, the card had issues with WDM drivers and IRQ sharing.

I will have to gather all this info, and will report back to the thread 😀