VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2020/05/ … ion-tp20h2.html

DirectX 11 Support Provides support for DirectX 11 (Direct3D v11) and OpenGL 4.1 graphics capabilities in the guest operating sy […]
Show full quote

DirectX 11 Support
Provides support for DirectX 11 (Direct3D v11) and OpenGL 4.1 graphics capabilities in the guest operating systems! Obviously DX11 is Windows guest only, but OpenGL 4.1 applies to Linux guests as well.
Hundreds of new games and applications can now run in Fusion and Workstation!
Increased Hardware Maximums: MONSTER VMS
Both Fusion and Workstation Tech Preview 20H2 support up to 32 processors and up to 128GB of RAM per virtual machine, as well as 4GB of shared graphics memory
Sandboxed Graphics Processes
We’ve dramatically enhanced virtual machine security by using a special non-root “sandbox” process for rendering 3d hardware assisted graphics. This further isolates the Guest VM operations from the Host, significantly reducing the viability of privilege escalation to the host.
To get started with DX11, VMware Tools needs to be upgraded, and the Virtual Hardware Compatibility version must be set to v18. Existing VMs can be upgraded by adjusting the virtual hardware compatibility while the VM is powered off. After power-on, you can then upgrade VMware tools as you normally would. With new VMs you may need to manually set the virtual hardware version to v18 before installing, so double check.

Committed to our users, we’ve been working hard on this feature for many years, and so we welcome your feedback!

Let us know your experience! Does your favourite game work? Glitchy? Looks perfect? Help us improve by sharing in our Workstation Tech Preview Community Forum!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2020-05-24, 07:49:

if anyone is bored:
vista 32bit + dgvoodoo2 😀

On VMware? Any surprises when you try that?

It's been a while, but at some point, VMware Tools update broke OpenGL on VMware on Windows Vista because the DLL implementing OpenGL started depending on a function that only exists in Windows 7+.

Unless someone reported it and was fixed by now.

Yeah, it wasn't a DX issue, but since it's Vista that almost nobody cares about...

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vmware is getting better, now there is preview with:

Provides support for DirectX 11 (Direct3D v11) and OpenGL 4.1 graphics capabilities in the guest operating systems! Obviously DX11 is Windows guest only, but OpenGL 4.1 applies to Linux guests as well.
Hundreds of new games and applications can now run in Fusion and Workstation! + as well as 4GB of shared graphics memory

So its now theoretically only one step from to be up to date (DX12), OpenGL 4.1 also very good, only very few Windows games are using newer version. So in theory it should be Win7 gaming ready, DX12 is Win10 only thing with connection to W10 store and usually from MS itself..
List of DX12 games is not long and DX12 is with us for long time:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_DirectX_12_games
and lots of them arent DX12 only..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 4 of 8, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DX12 is also available in W7 as of the last year, and it never had any link whatsoever with UWP.

If any, it's a shame that this requires the latest and greatest version of Workstation (on top of the latest tools), thus leaving out <2010 hardware.
I can just hope VirGL will work one day in windows.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 5 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read something about that WoW and on Guru3D, but i never saw any details. Which games are actually using it?

i dont thing that < 2010 would be fast enough to play WIndows 7 DX11 games. For me problem is quite opossite, i would like new Vmware WinXP 32 bit support.. it would be nice if could run on my beefy WinXP machine (i now have WinXP on Z390 chipset:) newer windows in ram space above 4GB - i have free 28G just to waste to ramdisk or nothing.. I guess that i can still can run some Linux with max 2G ram to use modern SW, but its not nice like modern Windows.

Unless will someone hack and backport UWP games to Windows 7 its not big dead.. in theory its possible because Wine / Proton seems to be able to run some one them.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 6 of 8, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lolwat, a Core 2 Quad can still play all but the very latest games (and usually not even for "strict performance" reasons, but just because some smartass thought it was smart to optimize for SSE4.2).
And vice versa, if XP can even still run on baremetal.. With GPT and straight from UEFI, I don't see why a VM would have problems.

Then https://microsoft.github.io/DirectX-Specs/d3d … 3D12onWin7.html
WoW and the latest CoD for the moment, likely more in the future.

And wine just handles win32.. If any, the change seems to be coming from microsoft itself.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 7 of 8, by tk421

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DX11 support for VMWare would be great. If I could use dgvoodoo2 in VMWare then I could potentially run old Win98 games in VMWare like Star Trek Armada. This game is notoriously difficult to run on a modern computer, and even harder to run in VMWare. Using the unofficial Armada Patch 1.3 and dgVoodoo2 I was able to run Armada fairly well on a Win 10 PC. I was even able to use mods with the game like the Star Trek vs Star Wars mod, the Sands of Time mod, and the Empire and Federation mod.

The game used to crash on me frequently way back in the day, but using the above-mentioned method, I was able to run Armada on a modern Win 10 PC with good stability and performance.

Perhaps I will be able to run Dominion Wars on VMWare in the not so distant future?

With developments in PC emulation software and modern CPU technology, this is not a bad time to be a PC game fan.

Reply 8 of 8, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure what you are thinking to.
If you want to run W98, then you sure aren't going to get newer directx (or any kind of acceleration that is).
If you want to run dgvoodoo2 with normal new windowses.. Then what's even the point with respect to bare metal?

As for star trek games, there are already all the native fixes that you may need.

pcgamingwiki.com