VOGONS

First post, by fargo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install Windows 1.01 on DSOBox 0.74-3 for macOS, but the setup program hangs and outputs garbage letters before displaying the screen with mouse options.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.10.38 AM.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.10.38 AM.png
File size
16.19 KiB
Views
File comment
Windows 1.01 Setup Program
File license
Public domain

I set the dos version to 3.00 as per windows 1.01 requirements.

A forked version of DOSBox for macOS, named Boxer, can install and run Windows 1.01 without problems by the way.

Reply 7 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

mount a c:\win1setp -t floppy

Only put files for one disk at a time in the folder that acts like a floppy. Start with files for disk 1, when the setup asks for disk 2 then use the host OS to delete all files in the folder and copy in files for disk 2, and so forth. The general idea is to simulate conditions the setup program was designed to work in.

Reply 8 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might need to add the label flag. I remember that some versions of DOS installers looking for a certain disk label as a primitive disk check.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 12, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried it with Windows 1.01 and it works fine. I used disk images and used the disk-swap hotkey method to do the installation.

This method requires dosbox-svn, or one of the forks that extends dosbox-svn (dosbox ece, dosbox-x, dosbox staging).

Here is my config file:

[serial]
serial1=serialmouse

[autoexec]
mount c .
PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS
ver set 3 20
imgmount a DISK1-SETUP.IMG DISK2-BUILD.IMG DISK3-UTILITY.IMG DISK4-APPS.IMG DISK5-WRITE.IMG
C:

Note: the serial1=serialmouse will not work unless your using DOSBox-X, in which case you can select the MS Serial mouse during setup.

Reply 10 of 12, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As an additional exercise, to see if I can speed up the install without having to worry about disk swaps. I copied the contents of all 5 disks into a directory and mounted that directory as A: and ran setup from it. This worked fine. So the disk LABEL is not used by the setup program.

mount c winroot
mount a winroot/install -t floppy
ver set 3 20
A:
SETUP

And with dosbox-x I can even print (tested with paint and word) from Windows 1.01, if I select the Epson MX-80 during setup.

For this I had to add the following lines to my config.

[parallel]
parallel1=printer

[printer]
multipage=true
timeout=5000

When printing this will cause a "page1.png" file to be created in the current directory.

Last edited by _Rob on 2020-06-04, 17:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

An install program working with files from all floppies dumped into a folder is a case-by-case kind of thing. Even though it works in this case, where it obviously won't work is files of the same name on different disks and the content is not the same in all of them. In regards to the Win1 setup program, it can kind of "freak out" if the "-t floppy" switch is not used with the source drive, I think because of the amount of total/free space reported, which is apparently what the OP encountered.

FYI, the mouse works in DOSBox 0.74 or SVN if you substitute the MOUSE.DRV from Win2, which supports the PS/2 interface.

Reply 12 of 12, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I was not sure if dumping the contents of all the disks into one directory would work, for the same reasons you mentioned. In fact, because it requires -t floppy, I was expecting it to fail. But instead it works fine, and this way you don't even need to use DOSBox SVN for the disk-swap support.

Regarding the mouse, another way would be to use the special IBM OEM version of Windows 1.04 (or it's mouse driver). As it has support for PS/2 mouse (and VGA, although the option is called "IBM Personal System/2 Model 50, 60, 80" during setup).