VOGONS

Constructor

Topic actions

First post, by Hollowman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have had dosbox for a while now but not ever really used it. I remembered I still had a copy of my beloved Constructor: unplayable on Windows XP because Microsoft hate everybody over 20 who ever used DOS in their life, apparently.

Thats not the point, I have constructor running fine until I want to place a building where it suddenly slows right down and doesnt do... anything, really. I can increase the clock speed to 5500 and increase frame skip but nothing happens. My CPU usage in taskmanager is about 30% and my memory usage is about 20% so there are no problems there. Like I say, it works perfectly until then; sound, video, everything. Only when I try to place a building it slows to nothing. Any ideas on how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated, I just love this game.

Now I think about it, was X-COM:Enemy Unknown a DOS Game? I may have to try it, that used to be a great game too.

Reply 3 of 5, by zalp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

!!!!! cure for Constructor on Dosbox 😉

It is not a bug of DOSbox. You only need to dowload univbe for modern Video cards, for exapmple from here:
http://www.old-games.ru/utils/modified_univbe.zip. i've used ver53.a as from readme

I've tryed to run Constructor before - it hangs on place of house, after using this driver (place it into .\settings directory of Constructor) it works WELL!!!
😁

Attachments

• Filename
    modified_univbe.zip
    File size
    2.96 KiB
    Downloads
    224 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

very interresting.
Constructor didn't hang. it would continue if you waited long enough. So it's ncie to know that the problem is probably related to something with the video card. (I assumed it was related to audio)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by zalp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

heh, univbe don't play a role on Constructor hang (it is not a hang 😀), i don't know why it had helped me first (it was on a pc with win XP2 and all media integrated into mb, p4-2,6). But on another comp with non-integrated video Constructor normally played with new univbe until building of cement yard. It hang again! The cure for it is to set processor cycles=15000. But the sound is not quite good. By the way - on the first comp there was an illegal instructions, on the second (maybe i taked no notice of it) there was no.
CONSTRUCTOR - RULEZ! 😁