VOGONS

Reply 120 of 218, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I was at it, I created a "containerized" version of WebOne, using the official Ubuntu Focal Docker image as base.
Although the process of creating the image was pretty straightforward, it turned out to be not exactly lightweight (almost 500 MB in size), probably because I had to install imagemagick and ffmpeg (and all of their dependencies) because the .deb package depends on them. I think it should be possible to create a much more lightweight version by using an Alpine Linux image as base (and omitting ffmpeg and imagemagick) but since I couldn't find any generic Linux amd64 binaries, it would mean that I would have to build it from source first, which is something I haven't looked into (when it comes to Docker) yet.

Tested the resulting WebOne service it with FF 1.5, IE 5.5 and Opera 10 and it seems to work well. 😀

My retro computers

Reply 121 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any deb or rpm package can be unpacked as archive to get binaries: dpkg --unpack. Or GUI tools like File Roller, XArchiver, or even 7-zip on Windows can be used too. This is why I am not providing binaries in tar.gz format.

Much megabytes of depends are need for full functionality like png/webp->gif conversion and YouTube playback. I know not all need this, but seems to be better if the package will have these packages in list of depends. In .deb they can be moved from depend to recommend list, but dotnet-packaging tool (which I've using to build packages) seems to don't know about recommendations. So the only way is to use the depends list.

What about Alpnine build? .NET Core knows about it, and probably a build can be made:

$ sudo apt-get install dotnet-sdk-3.1
$ git clone https://github.com/atauenis/webone.git
$ cd webone
$ dotnet restore
$ dotnet publish -c Release -r linux-musl-x64 --self-contained false
// binaries will be in ./bin/Release/netcoreapp31/linux-musl-x64/publish/

Or set "--self-contained true" to bundle .NET Core Runtime inside (the build will no longer require the Runtime, but will weight much).

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 122 of 218, by James Gryphon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a Raspberry Pi 4, with the hope of using it as a WebOne helper for my G4. The Raspberry-specific section of the guide, unfortunately, didn't work out. dotnet-runtime-3.1 is apparently not included in Raspbian/"Raspberry Pi OS"'s repositories, and it's a prerequisite for the .deb, so.

However, I tried the process described for 'Manual Installations'. You have to use the newest ARM version of dotnet-runtime, swapping in 'arm' instead of the x64, of course, like so: "dotnet-runtime-3.1.5-linux-arm.tar.gz". I stumbled over steps 4 and 5, but figured out that the 'WebOne.0.10.2.win-arm.zip' package works for this. The rest of the steps work without much incident, and I was able to get it up and running.

Reply 123 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your feedback. Found that Microsoft forgotten about debs/rpms for non-x64 Runtimes for Linux. I will rebuild packages for ARM32 (they will contain the Runtime inside) soon, when be free of work.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 124 of 218, by shafferpsu1313

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I had this all ready and working. I have a Windows 10 laptop that I installed the .Net core runtime and the latest WebOne version on.

Webone runs correctly (as administrator), and listens on port 100 (80 was already in use).

I am able to connect from Windows 95/98 and several other machines on the network. However, the web sites i bring up are pretty much all text and empty pictures (with the little red x like they don't exist).

In the WebOne log windows, i get ALOT of 403 Forbidden (seemingly right after it does a GET on an image file). Guessing this is the issue, so trying to debug. Just wanted to see if anybody else had run into this.

Reply 125 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shafferpsu1313 wrote on 2020-07-02, 19:05:

I am able to connect from Windows 95/98 and several other machines on the network. However, the web sites i bring up are pretty much all text and empty pictures (with the little red x like they don't exist).

In the WebOne log windows, i get ALOT of 403 Forbidden (seemingly right after it does a GET on an image file). Guessing this is the issue, so trying to debug. Just wanted to see if anybody else had run into this.

Try to add these lines in webone.conf, then attempt to open such sites:

; HTTP request&response header saving (dumping)
[Edit]
AddHeaderDumping=dump-%Url%.log

What is in the log files (dump-http*.log)?
Seems that these sites are detecting WebOne as a bot. I haven't seen this bug on sites which I am using (however they have no bot protection).

Reply 126 of 218, by ckweb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ATauenis, I just had to pop in the forum to thank you again for all of your continuing efforts to actively improve, bug fix and add more features to WebOne and assist all of its users like myself here—you're one in a million, man! 😀

Reply 127 of 218, by McDaddyMark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are a wizard my friend and motivated me create an account just so I could comment on this awesome program. I'm currently playing around with a Compaq Deskpro 6000 running Windows 98SE. I was relegated to using an RDP client to browse for things on a separate server. I began wondering if there was a proxy server solution and I found your project. I'm currently running it and it's working flawlessly. I love how I can watch console and see it actively downloading and converting content. If there is anything specific you would like me to test for you I would be happy to help.

Reply 128 of 218, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying out WebOne for the first time on my Windows 10 laptop to test it on my Windows 98 machine . I have downloaded the 32-bit zip file as well as the 32-bit version of .NET Runtime 3.1.4. I added the IP of my w98 machine in the .conf file. Here's what I get so far, as shown in the attachment. This is normal, or do I need to add more stuff in the conf? (Note: I had to run WebOne as an administrator since just clicking it would get me the Access Denied error.)

Attachments

• WebOne.jpg
    Filename
    WebOne.jpg
    File size
    73.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 129 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All is good. Set 192.168.0.88, port 80 as HTTP proxy server IP/port in Windows 98 browser settings. WebOne is ready for incoming requests.
If Win98PC will non recognize proxy (and there will be no messages in log window), disable Windows 10's Firewall (or open TCP port 80 in it).

Reply 130 of 218, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So here's what I have so far after using webone on my w98 machine, as shown in the attachments. Youtube doesn't seem to load correctly, and there are issues accessing Vogons using the proxy. I am still trying to familiarize myself with this proxy.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to make the best of webone?

An off topic question: Firefox does not appear in the taskbar when its open. This happens with every version I install. Any idea why?

Attachments

• Webone_Youtube_FF.jpg
    Filename
    Webone_Youtube_FF.jpg
    File size
    44.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Webone_Wikipedia_IE.jpg
    Filename
    Webone_Wikipedia_IE.jpg
    File size
    206.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Webone_Vogons_FF.jpg
    Filename
    Webone_Vogons_FF.jpg
    File size
    61.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Webone_Geocities_IE.jpg
    Filename
    Webone_Geocities_IE.jpg
    File size
    122.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 131 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Braca862 wrote on 2020-08-07, 19:29:

Youtube doesn't seem to load correctly.

Try m.youtube.com. In June, it worked with Firefox 3.6 + "ViewTube with WebOne support". How it now, I don't know - have no time to discover.

Or, if there are any HTML+JS developers reading this topic, please help community, make replacements for YouTube scripts and/or styles for older browsers. 😀 WebOne can easily spoof any content of web pages on fly (like jQuery downgrade, included in default webone.conf).

Another task is that my fork of ViewTube user-script is now semi-obsolete, as it working only with Classic design (however, in June it worked after some dancing with a shaman tambourine which enabled the old design 😀 ). Need to apply all recent changes of source branch to my fork. But even the next update after fork time is requiring full rewrite of my patch, as sebaro rewrited Settings page from scratch then.

Currently I cannot find a few weeks of 24/7 time to made large edits. Less time (2-3 hours per week) is not enough, but it is all I have.

and there are issues accessing Vogons using the proxy

It may be due to two things:
1. Try to remove vogons.org from ForceHttps.
2. Try to remove:

[Edit:^http://vogons.org]
; fix for Vogons, a site that is working only at WWW.vogons.org
AddRedirect=http://www.vogons.org/%UrlNoDomain%

The first is not actually need, AFAIR. It was forgotten since debug time.
The second is to allow use IE 5.5 with Vogons (huh, in 2019 and with old design).

Probably these edits should help.
Also WebOne rely on Windows updates on server machine, so if the system have disabled updates, some sites may don't open. Especially this is related to Windows 7, however TLS is updating too frequently to guarantee any backward compatibility even for software, released yesterevening.

Firefox does not appear in the taskbar when its open. This happens with every version I install. Any idea why?

Try to remove KernelEx and install Firefox 2.0/1.0. Few years ago I've seen this bug after installing of KernelEx.

Reply 132 of 218, by barana24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

G'day all!
Im very impressed by the idea of webone and am wanting to intoduce my apple II and Amiga user community to it. (the IIGS has a NS 2.0 level browser)
im having difficulty maybe someone can pinpoint?
Using stable webone 0.10.2 with .net core 3.1.7 64 bit + virtualbox Version 5.2.44 r139111 (Qt5.6.2) (non pae) win 10.
switched off windows firewall, running webone as admin, no errors, have set its ip to 169.254.32.138 as also the proxy settings in ie 4.72.210.08 on win95C
Am I doing something incorrect? I cant get ie4 to fetch from webone, but i can get my latest ff to bring up the localhost page ff browses without the proxy
Can anyone fault me > TIA

update. I got it working with basilisk and slirp.

Reply 133 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Re-released updated DEB/RPM packages of WebOne 0.10.2 for ARM architecture.
They are no longer require dotnet-runtime-3.1 package (it is bundled inside), so should not have problems with installing in Raspbian and Fedora Pi.

Also they contain updated default webone.conf with recent fix for opening VOGONS through WebOne ([ForceHttps] section no longer requires a vogons.org line since this summer).

https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/d … 2.linux-arm.deb
https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/d … 2.linux-arm.rpm

Reply 135 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GitHub has introduced Discussions. https://github.com/atauenis/webone/discussions
So I'll post FAQs, Sets of Edits for buggy sites and similar content there.

Reply 136 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Version 0.10.3 is ready.

• No longer needs Administrator rights to run on Windows.
  • AddRedirect/AddInternalRedirect edit rules now can utilize RegEx capture groups.
  • Fixed broken DEB/RPM packages for Linux ARM.
  • Local file server (http://localhost/!file?name=test.txt) feature has been removed. Probably it will be rewritten and enabled in future versions if need.
  • Possibility to view webone.conf contents by clients (e.g. when the proxy server is public and user want to choose if he/she can trust the proxy) now can be enabled or disabled via AllowConfigFileDisplay option in the configuration file.

Download links: https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/tag/v0.10.3

Reply 137 of 218, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ATauenis, I do have a small bug I've been meaning to report.

On certain (no clear pattern) websites, CSS files hang the browser causing it to take forever to load. Try it with Internet Explorer 3.

I'm fairly certain this is due to something happening with WebOne and not IE 3, but I could be wrong. Give it a shot and see if you can replicate it.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 138 of 218, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-12-23, 19:48:

Give it a shot and see if you can replicate it.

I haven't seen this, so this is a very strange bug. Do you're using a virtual machine or real PC? I've seen similar with Virtual PC 2007 and Netscape 4.51 when the proxy is running on the host OS, but if I run the proxy on another real machine, Netscape is working correctly. Probably this is a VM or Windows bug.

Version 0.10.4 is ready!

• Added systemd service (Linux only).
  • Added --daemon argument to run WebOne in silent mode.
  • Now using Port 8080 by default (instead of 80). Port 80 still can be used if manually set in configuration file.
  • Fixed crash of apt-get/dpkg on attempt to uninstall in Linux when killall utility is not installed.
  • Fixed broken content editing with local-mode URLs.
  • Fixed work with incorrect local-mode URLs like "http://127.0.0.1:8080/http:/example.com".
  • Fixed 99,9% CPU utilization in some cases.
  • Fixed "Cannot start server: Address already in use" error in some cases after WebOne manual exit and then restart.
  • Fixed parsing of --log (-l) argument, so it should work correctly.
  • Added edit set to make some CSS3 styles in Firefox 3.5+ to -moz-prefixed, so they should be understanded by the browser.

Download links: https://github.com/atauenis/webone/releases/tag/v0.10.4

Reply 139 of 218, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ATauenis wrote on 2021-01-28, 20:57:
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-12-23, 19:48:

Give it a shot and see if you can replicate it.

I haven't seen this, so this is a very strange bug. Do you're using a virtual machine or real PC? I've seen similar with Virtual PC 2007 and Netscape 4.51 when the proxy is running on the host OS, but if I run the proxy on another real machine, Netscape is working correctly. Probably this is a VM or Windows bug.

I run the proxy on Linux machines, and open webpages on real hardware using Windows 3.1 or 9x and Netscape 3, 4, or IE 3 or 5. It mostly happens with IE 3.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.