Generic Aureal Vortex 2 - Worth It?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 29, by CesarDRK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-18, 02:23:

Audigy SE has no DOS support .

Does it at least have SB emulation in Win98 command prompt?

---

Anyways, started to test SB16 + SB Pro 2.0 in the P3 system.
I´ve set the SB Pro 2.0 jumpers to IRQ 7, DMA 1, ADD 220h. After this, the SB16 PNP configured itself with: IRQ 10, DMA 3, ADD 240h, H5, P300.
Connected the speaker out of the SB Pro 2.0 to the Line In of the SB 16 and adjusted the mixer. After that, installed the SB Pro drivers (SB16 was already installed) and changed autoexec.bat to this:

SET SOUND=C:\DRIVERS\SBPRO
C:\DRIVERE\SBPRO\SBP-SET /M:12 /VOC:12 /CD:12 /FM:12

SET SOUND=C:\DRIVERS\SB16
SET BLASTER=A240 I10 D3 H5 P300 T6
C:\DRIVERS\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\DRIVERS\SB16\MIXERSET /P

I was able to get sound in Doom 1/2 from the SB Pro 2.0, and in Duke Nukem 3D (SB Pro 2.0 and also SB 16 - just changing settings in setup between each) just fine in Win98 command prompt.
But im having some issues with dos mode and other games:

- Some games didnt work, like Indiana Jones And the Fate of Atlantis and Day of Tentacle. I just receive some strange random noises and if i quit the game they wont stop playing until i reboot the system or start another game.
- Rebooting in Win98 MS-DOS mode i get a huge keyboard lag, like really huge. A few seconds of delay between commands, with every program i tried (even text editor)! Just terrible. (this didnt happened before with just the SB16).

Reply 22 of 29, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not believe the Audigy SE even has Windows 9x drivers . It is based on a completely different chip than otheri Audigy cardss and is an Audigy in name only .

As for the SB Pro , I would test it without the SB16 in the system first . I woulso disable the lpt port in BIOS and assign IRQ7 to legacy in plugnplay options in the BIOS as well .

Also, make sure your ISA bus speed is around 8MHz max .

Reply 23 of 29, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CesarDRK wrote on 2020-05-18, 01:49:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

It´s happening !!

https://imgur.com/3RX2i6E

Just installed both, W98SE detected the pro fine after i went through "Add New Device Wizard".
Now i will try to configure both in MS-DOS mode, i´m just not sure HOW... 🤣.

Simple: it's DOS, the two cards don't need to know anything about each other.

So:
CT1600: no driver or init needed, just use the jumpers. Set it to A220, I7, D1 (jumpers should be explained on PCB, otherwise look here https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … R-PRO-2-CT.html).
CT2950: PnP soundblaster. Needs initializing with CTCM/CTCU. Download the SB16 PnP drivers and run the DOS INSTALL.EXE. When it asks, set it to A240 I5 D3 H5 P330. It's the CTCMBBS file here: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/creative-labs-drivers.html

Finally, edit AUTOEXEC.BAT. The SB16 PnP installer will have given you a SET BLASTER variable that probably looks like this: SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D3 H5 P330 T6. Now, that SET BLASTER line is used by (older) games to "autodetect" your card. But for older games you want to use the CT1600. So, edit it to this: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4

That way old games will be referred to the CT1600, but the SB16 is still there. When playing newer stuff with SB16 support, just give the game the SB16 parameters (A240 I5 D3 H5) and it will use SB16 and not Pro2.

Edit:
Yes, darry is completely right. You need to set IRQ7 to legacy ISA and disable parallel for this setup. I'd forgotten this was such a new, integrated board.

I also found this crappy Audigy SE lying around.. Would it be worth it to replace the SB PCI with this one? I think i does not have DOS drivers, right?

https://imgur.com/B2k1csL

No, no DOS drivers. In Windows it's a perfectly acceptable card, although without hardware EAX support, it's no better than the SB128.

Reply 24 of 29, by CesarDRK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-18, 04:14:

I do not believe the Audigy SE even has Windows 9x drivers . It is based on a completely different chip than otheri Audigy cardss and is an Audigy in name only .

As for the SB Pro , I would test it without the SB16 in the system first . I woulso disable the lpt port in BIOS and assign IRQ7 to legacy in plugnplay options in the BIOS as well .

Also, make sure your ISA bus speed is around 8MHz max .

I have installed the Audigy SE in the AXP system, turns out it is a "fake" card?! It detects it as a ES1371/1373 SB PCI card (same as CT4810), but it wont work at all. I can't get any sound.
Garbage.

dionb wrote on 2020-05-18, 14:28:
Simple: it's DOS, the two cards don't need to know anything about each other. […]
Show full quote

Simple: it's DOS, the two cards don't need to know anything about each other.

So:
CT1600: no driver or init needed, just use the jumpers. Set it to A220, I7, D1 (jumpers should be explained on PCB, otherwise look here https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … R-PRO-2-CT.html).
CT2950: PnP soundblaster. Needs initializing with CTCM/CTCU. Download the SB16 PnP drivers and run the DOS INSTALL.EXE. When it asks, set it to A240 I5 D3 H5 P330. It's the CTCMBBS file here: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/creative-labs-drivers.html

Finally, edit AUTOEXEC.BAT. The SB16 PnP installer will have given you a SET BLASTER variable that probably looks like this: SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D3 H5 P330 T6. Now, that SET BLASTER line is used by (older) games to "autodetect" your card. But for older games you want to use the CT1600. So, edit it to this: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4

That way old games will be referred to the CT1600, but the SB16 is still there. When playing newer stuff with SB16 support, just give the game the SB16 parameters (A240 I5 D3 H5) and it will use SB16 and not Pro2.

Edit:
Yes, darry is completely right. You need to set IRQ7 to legacy ISA and disable parallel for this setup. I'd forgotten this was such a new, integrated board.

Turns out the DOS keyboard issue was with my PS/2 to USB adapter i recently added to the mix, directly to the PS/2 port the keyboard works fine in DOS (I'm using this adapter because i will connect the kb to the kvm switch when it arrives, it does only have USB ports).

But, back to the SB Pro i tried a bunch of things but it wouldn't work properly.

First of all, i removed the SB 16 and tried to use the SB Pro 2.0 alone.
I have tried different irq/address/dma setting trough the jumpers, and also reserved irq/dma to ISA in BIOS (that's the only option regarding the ISA slots).
But the card is faulty or there's some kinda of incompatibility with the P2B-F.

The test-sbp.exe utility from the SB Pro 2.0 disks i download here at vogons sometimes doesn't detected the card (like 2 ou of 10 tries), and close to never detects the DMA (9 out of 10 tries).
If i ran the utility with /m switch for manual mode i can force the DMA 1 like 3~4 times and eventually it will pick it up.
But when i try to play the sound demos, the 2-Operator FM Music produces garbage random noises, 4-Operator FM Music WORKS FINE and Digitized Sound doesn't do anything!
The same utility works fine and plays all tests using only the SB16.

By the way, the game situation:

Duke Nukem 3D -> Works perfectly, both music and sound effects.
Doom 1/2 -> Works perfectly, both music and sound effects.
Monkey Island LeChuck's Revenge -> Works perfectly, both music and sound effects.
Day of Tentacle / Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis -> Garbage random noises, sometimes crash.

Reply 25 of 29, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CesarDRK wrote on 2020-05-19, 14:46:

I have installed the Audigy SE in the AXP system, turns out it is a "fake" card?! It detects it as a ES1371/1373 SB PCI card (same as CT4810), but it wont work at all. I can't get any sound.
Garbage.

I just looked at the picture, that indeed doesn't look like a real Creative SB0570, what a curiousity, where did you get that? ^^

compare that to a real one, you can also see that the fonts and logos are off... who would go through the effort cloning faking an already budget card x3

1200px-Creative_Labs_Sound_Blaster_Audigy_SE.jpg

Reply 26 of 29, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-05-19, 15:00:
I just looked at the picture, that indeed doesn't look like a real Creative SB0570, what a curiousity, where did you get that? ^ […]
Show full quote
CesarDRK wrote on 2020-05-19, 14:46:

Garbage.

I just looked at the picture, that indeed doesn't look like a real Creative SB0570, what a curiousity, where did you get that? ^^

compare that to a real one, you can also see that the fonts and logos are off... who would go through the effort cloning faking an already budget card x3

1200px-Creative_Labs_Sound_Blaster_Audigy_SE.jpg

The CA0106 chip used on the real Audigy Value and Audigy SE is square not rectangular, but the board layout is surprisingly similar . We'll probably never know, but I am really curious as to this thing's background story .

Reply 27 of 29, by CesarDRK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-05-19, 15:00:

Welcome to the jungle, i mean south america!

darry wrote on 2020-05-19, 16:28:

The CA0106 chip used on the real Audigy Value and Audigy SE is square not rectangular, but the board layout is surprisingly similar . We'll probably never know, but I am really curious as to this thing's background story .

I'm not sure where i got it, if it was an online store or during a shopping trip to a nearby country (Paraguai, which is famous for stuff like this).
Probably from a local store in Paraguai, because i didn't return the card back then (if i had bought online i would have returned it for sure).
The "warranty" sticker is from January 2009.

Reply 28 of 29, by Vallenrod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Day of Tentacle / Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis -> Garbage random noises, sometimes crash."

Try the throttle tool to slow down the computer. Or disable cpu cache on bios. Some games wont work properly with sound when pc is too fast.

Reply 29 of 29, by CesarDRK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vallenrod wrote on 2020-06-05, 04:18:

"Day of Tentacle / Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis -> Garbage random noises, sometimes crash."

Try the throttle tool to slow down the computer. Or disable cpu cache on bios. Some games wont work properly with sound when pc is too fast.

Yeah, that was the issue.
I have created a new topic about it recently:

CT1600 (Sound Blaster Pro 2.0) - Issues