VOGONS

Fake painted Pentium CPUs

Topic actions

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i was checking this nice video regarding fake pentium CPUs and i remembered i had one of those.
the most common difference is the color of the cpu, they seem to be darker than the rest, and if you pass a cutter, the paint starts to fall off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKjX6UGYUQ&t=4s

Notice after i passed the cutter i was able to see the 120, (the 166 still barely visible in the pic)
there seems to be some weird things regarding the rest of my cpus, for example most of my pentium cpus the letters are completely flat, there is no height difference between the ceramic and the leters.
But on a pentium 166 i have that i think its real because of its color, the letters are carved into the ceramic.

pentium.jpg

Reply 1 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A fairly common one is the P200 in the ceramic package. Every single one is fake. They only made them as PPGA, not CPGA.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 31, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-06-02, 09:43:

A fairly common one is the P200 in the ceramic package. Every single one is fake. They only made them as PPGA, not CPGA.

Would this apply to P200MMX too? I have one in Ceramic

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 31, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-06-06, 07:27:

SL2RY is the real deal. I had (have?) one and it was the right colour all the way through, didn't scratch easily and generally didn't show any signs of a fake.👍
Edit: Looking up the S-Spec I also found SL2S9 which is the variant with attached HSF. Also completely legit.

Reply 5 of 31, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-06-06, 08:06:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-06-06, 07:27:

SL2RY is the real deal. I had (have?) one and it was the right colour all the way through, didn't scratch easily and generally didn't show any signs of a fake.👍
Edit: Looking up the S-Spec I also found SL2S9 which is the variant with attached HSF. Also completely legit.

Thanks, mine's an SL2RY too 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 6 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P200MMX came in CPGA. The MMX used split rail voltage and ran cooler, so CPGA was still suitable for that one. P233MMX was too hot for CPGA.

Reply 8 of 31, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, yes I also have a ceramic 200MMX SL2RY, another oddity to consider is that 166MMX came in both ceramic and plastic.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not really that odd.
The desktop P60, P66, P75, P90 and P100 were avaliable in more than one package as well...CPGA and CPGA with gold top.

Reply 10 of 31, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a remarked pentium as 166, but under it was 150. This one is better quality fake, thin layer of ceramic almost right color then laser etched. What gave it away was pentium print was slightly wrong and one who knows the pentium package well can tell it was not just right.

Had to edit as my facts was wrong.

Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2023-09-18, 19:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 12 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are a few CPU collectors that like them, but I don't think they're worth much...yet.

Reply 16 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-06-07, 19:05:

who is rebranding these cpu?

What do you mean?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 31, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-06-06, 15:29:

It's not really that odd.
The desktop P60, P66, P75, P90 and P100 were avaliable in more than one package as well...CPGA and CPGA with gold top.

I wonder, did they make gold top Socket 7 Pentiums or just Socket 5? I'm pretty sure Pentium 75 and 100 existed in both Socket 5 and Socket 7.

Reply 18 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P60, P66, P75, P90 and P100 were the only ones available as gold top. The P100 is relatively rare in that package though.