VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr Jake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I was trying to track down an file which would upgrade 95 RTM to osr2.1 without having to do an full upgrade e.g RTM to osr1/service pack 1 is this possible or do I just have to full upgrade?

Reply 1 of 8, by Mr Jake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mr Jake wrote on 2020-06-18, 11:59:

So I was trying to track down an file which would upgrade 95 RTM to osr2.1 without having to do an full upgrade e.g RTM to osr1/service pack 1 is this possible or do I just have to full upgrade? I'm an newbie to vogons 😅

Reply 2 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't believe service pack kind of upgrades were a thing in the day. I don't recall such a thing except for Plus and USB Supplements.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know, OSR2.1 (OEM service release 2.1) was

a) only made available to OEM manufacturers (maybe unbranded OEM copies made it to stores)

b) was never officially sold as retail

c) was never offered as an upgrade path to Windows 95 RTM

EDIT : Same was true of OSR2.5

Last edited by darry on 2020-06-18, 18:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That was so annoying at the time.
Was the logic that FAT32 was too complicated to be in the hands of retail users? e.g. that users would use FAT32 and then get mad that other OSes/systems couldn't read the disk?

Reply 5 of 8, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just install the OSR2.5 OEM version. Don't mess with upgrades. It's a very reliable Windows 95 version. Or if you don't need USB support just install the OSR2...

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 6 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JSO wrote on 2020-06-25, 08:00:

Just install the OSR2.5 OEM version. Don't mess with upgrades. It's a very reliable Windows 95 version. Or if you don't need USB support just install the OSR2...

OSR2.5 + Unofficial USB Mass Storage drivers is what I go with every time for Socket 3/5 PCs.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tricky bit on an existing system would be upgrading dos 7.0 that came with RTM to 7.1 without effecting rest of the system. MS probably figured wasn't worth the trouble to figure out a hot fix for like they did with USB.
These would have been 486's and early Pentiums with 4GB drive max anyway. They probably figured later PC's included a OEM copy anyway.

Still does seem strange though as plenty of people would have been buying box copies for home built PC's and no easy way to get an update copy.
I know some places would sell a bit of hardware with the hard drive as a kind of loophole solution.

But yeh in this day and age I'd just install your version of choice right from the start.