Modern hardware prices ?

Topic actions

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Supply and demand ?
The Prices of modern computer components has gone threw the roof in the last month.
AMD B450 mother which once sold for $89 is now $200
AMD Radeon 7 graphics card which once sold for $500 are now $1000 if you can find one.

It seems that all the Hackintosh compatible hardware is being bought up quickly.
I don’t know why people build high end Hackintosh for professional services ( Movie and Audio editing ).

This computer is really unstable and flaky. And newer seems to run correctly.
It’s always a fight to keep a reliable Hackintosh working correctly.

It’s a Frankenstein computer for sure.

But it appears that all the Hackintosh compatible computer components are being bought up quickly.
So there must be allot of people building these computers.

Reply 1 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, Apple is going in-house for their new systems which means no more hackintosh going forward so this does not surprise me at all.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 26, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-16, 22:23:

Well, Apple is going in-house for their new systems which means no more hackintosh going forward so this does not surprise me at all.

I think it is a good thing for Apple and Microsoft to build there own closed computers.
No one wants to buy a used computer that has been hacked.

Apple used computers today are inexpensive.

Reply 4 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally don't really care. Been using other folks case offs since oh well 1994 or thereabouts.

Oh and closed systems suck dog balls.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 26, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

x570 mobo's are also priced into the stratosphere IF you can find one that's not out of stock!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 6 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-16, 23:25:
I think it is a good thing for Apple and Microsoft to build there own closed computers. No one wants to buy a used computer tha […]
Show full quote

I think it is a good thing for Apple and Microsoft to build there own closed computers.

Seriously dude? What are you smoking? Must be some pretty good stuff. Mind sharing?

Do you even know how a Hackintosh is set up? There is 0 hacking going on. If you want to return a Hackintosh back to a Windows PC all you do is wipe the drive and install from scratch.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If IBM had gotten their way for decades, the whole Marvin forum section here wouldn't exist.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-17, 16:50:
I think it is a good thing for Apple and Microsoft to build there own closed computers. No one wants to buy a used computer tha […]
Show full quote

Seriously dude? What are you smoking? Must be some pretty good stuff. Mind sharing?

I take it he has been on the stuff ,if not something harder, for the last few years or so...

Reply 9 of 26, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think right now is a bad time to build a new computer because of the lock down and shortages in computer components
Prices are at a high. Even used computers are expensive right now.

Reply 11 of 26, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The people building new machines for home offices have work. The prices for 450-500W power supplies are way up.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 12 of 26, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2020-06-18, 16:54:

After 4 months of unemployment for lots of folks, you would expect people to be running low on cash and prices to be falling.

Well I don't know where you live but I am in the U.S. and am one of those that made more on unemployment with the $600 weekly bonus than I did when working.
Glad to be back at work, even if it is less money.

Reply 13 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote on 2020-06-18, 17:36:

The people building new machines for home offices have work. The prices for 450-500W power supplies are way up.

I made my first visit to a Best Buy (in Canada) in months last week. I have never seen as many empty shelves . There were some PSUs in stock, but nothing I would have wanted (I am rather picky). Even online, the last PSU I bought from them, a Corsair RM850x, is no longer available (Amazon does have it). The Corsair TX850M that I bought from Amazon is no longer available there (no counting price-jacking resellers), but is available elsewhere at reasonable prices .

Reply 15 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why do you need a psu of that rating? I was always told modern systems are more energy efficient than older stuff.

Reply 16 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-18, 20:09:

Why do you need a psu of that rating? I was always told modern systems are more energy efficient than older stuff.

For the same reason city-dwellers buy SUVs and Jeeps and then use them to go to work and for shopping only .

More seriously, people have a tendency not to trust the lowest capacity units in a product line (made much more sense with older PSUs) . Better to get more, just in case and leave room for expansion (like a better video card or CPU) down the line.

Besides, there aren't that many sub-450W models available and they tend to not be cheaper than higher capacity models .

Reply 17 of 26, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-18, 20:09:

Most big brands don't make anything lower then 400-450W so you don't have a choice. I need supplies in the 500-650W range for older systems with gamer cards (or SLI) which is why I am looking.

Most of the OEM machines I have tend to have supplies in the 300W range because they use built in chip video (i3/i5/i7). If you want to put a PCIE gamer GPU into one of those you need a new PS.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 18 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-06-18, 20:20:

For the same reason city-dwellers buy SUVs and Jeeps and then use them to go to work and for shopping only .

what you saying? making up for size somewhere else 😉
(not that I can talk, got a big ol Volvo V70 and doubt I'll need the space more then once a year if that)

I've got no real problem with prices, the average user can easily get a decade out of PC and even power users get more years out of a system then they did 20 years ago.
and I should know, also been using work cast off's since 2000.

Am surprised all these new home office workers are building their own PC's though. Would have thought they get something pre assembled.
For places I work I would say
1% actually have a genuine interest in computers/gaming and desire to build something .
2% have an opinion on what they want, usually ill informed and based more on brand/marketing then actual need.
97% really don't care less as long as it does the job

Reply 19 of 26, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It really does suck right now as far as building a new system or upgrading the one I have. Even looked at a i7 3770k to replace
my i3 but the prices for those are about what you'd pay for a new Ryzen chip. Making a trip to Ohio shortly and the Microcenter
there has some x570 boards in stock, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W