VOGONS

First post, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not getting any sound at all in Sierra's Fun Seeker's Guide to Eastern Madera County.

Note: I am primarily testing in Scali's FB-01 build, but running the same tests in 0.74-3 and the results are the same.

• Selecting Adlib in the game's setup (ADL.DRV) returns an "0x89/3 not found" error on launch (and I've tried all the various SB options in dosbox.conf).
  • With PC Speaker (STD.DRV) it runs fine, but is silent.
  • I have a real Yamaha FB-01 attached. Using either IMF.DRV or FB01.DRV, I see the MIDI transmit but then the game runs silently.

The problem is unique to this title. If I didn't know better I'd assume it just didn't have sound, but I've seen references to the fact that it does. Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 2, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asked and answered 😀

There are versions floating around with a full set of PATCH.00x files, which I guess may have been messed with (I see the version on sierrahelp.com contains none). There's even a mention of it having IMFC support in this blog post, although that may have just been the author's assumption based on the presence of IMF.DRV.

[edit] It's interesting that you do see the MIDI attempt to transmit on launch if you're using an applicable driver. I wonder if this is just something the driver tries to do, even if the support isn't actually there.