VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mark_81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys
I'm struggling with DosBox because i Cant'set correctly in order to obtain GB sound
My DosBox version is 0.74-3

I've tried with this:

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

i tried even this but NOTHING

sbtype=gb
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=cms
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

What am I doing wrong?
The Videogame is The Secret of Monkey Island VGA Floppy VGA
At the Moment I've Only AdLib sound
Thanks to All

Reply 1 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Use a setting of sbtype=gb and run the game with a "g" command line parameter: monkey g

You can get a list of other command line parameters with an unknown parameter: monkey blah

With sbtype=gb and running the game with no command line parameter you will get PC speaker sound.

Note that with sbtype=sb1 and sbtype=sb2 you can also use GameBlaster sound with the "g" command line parameter, but with those sbtype settings you will get AdLib sound if no command line parameter is used.

Reply 5 of 14, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For MT-32 you can either use the External MUNT (MT-32) emulator, and configure DOSBox to use "external" MIDI, or you can use a DOSBox with integrated MUNT emulator such as DOSBox ECE or DOSBox-X.

For Amiga, you need an Amiga emulator, not DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 14, by Mark_81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ROB
Hi,thanks a lot
Is Dosbox able to reproduce TANDY and PC-SPEAKER sound?
I waana also ask you if There's something else other than AdLib and Game Blaster sound,emulating with DosBox
For Game Blaster I used command "G" and I used "R" but i don't know what Soundcard is (maybe Roland?)

Reply 7 of 14, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Sound

There are 3 editions of Monkey Island for DOS.

The original EGA version and the later VGA version, both on diskettes, and then the VGA CD-ROM version, with digital audio. The supported sound cards are different for each. But normally "R" would be Roland MT-32.

And then finally, more recently (2009) there has been a "Special edition" for Windows.

Reply 8 of 14, by Mark_81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rob
Thanks Rob
I know basically all the versions of The Game..EGA (16 colors) supported PC speaker and Tandy (I guess but I'm not sure)..VGA Floppy (my favorite) with Adlib/Soundblaster cards+ a patch for Roland MT-32..
I've to install Mount and Try to emulate Roland MT-32...I'Ve ripped digital audio tracks in .WAV from the Original CD version...

Reply 9 of 14, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Secret_ … f_Monkey_Island

The digital audio track is a recording of an MT-32, so with the CD-ROM edition there is no advantage to having an MT-32.

Last edited by _Rob on 2020-06-26, 15:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The digital audio track on the CD-ROM, to my understanding, is a digital recording they made from a Roland MT-32.

Therefore there is no need for Roland MT-32 emulation with the CD-ROM version as it will sound exactly the same.

Reply 12 of 14, by Mark_81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rob Cd audio track on the Cd rom and MT-Roland 32 are not not exactly the same (very similar)

I Can show you

ROLAND MT-32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdd2CNlcqn0

CD VERSION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILV2Xr5XzPM

Reply 13 of 14, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did not look at the videos, but according to posts on the scummvm forum, the CD sound was sampled from a MT-32. But the CD-ROM edition would have some additional "ambient" audio tracks that the MT-32 lacks, and also with a Sound Blaster you get some additional sound effects. So the CD-ROM version would give you the "richest" audio experience in combination with a Sound Blaster.

Reply 14 of 14, by Mark_81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rob

Is DosBox a good way to recording Audio?
At the moment,I'm capturing Audio with DosBox..
I get .WAV file at 1411 kbs 44. khz sample rate
I heard about OBS, but is too complicated for me compared to Dosbox
here's a scan of the audio spectrometer

scans.jpg