Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was thinking of picking one of these up to use as a monitor:
https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxpub-oled-4k-tv

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Currently using the following which I'll keep:
Acer XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 "Acer Predator XB1" Purchased 2016
Dell U2410f 24" 1920X1200 Warranty replacement for an earlier Dell monitor that I purchased in 2007. Got this one just before the warranty expired in 2012. Still going strong.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, AFAIK the longevity issue isn't a solved problem yet.

Personally I'm wary of using TVs as computer monitors, mostly because the internal setup options are limited, and not geared towards precision. E.g. scaling/aspect choices, annoyances that often can't be disabled (permanent underscan, artificial lossy "sharpening" filters), etc. And in practice, "smart" translates to "cloud-y with a chance of spyware", which doesn't make it any more appealing.

Things might've changed for the better since I last looked into these things, but I'd be surprised if they have. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 14, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a 40" Samsung 4K LED backlit monitor as my primary display. It does 3840x2160 @ 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma, and it has a square pixel arrangement so text is razor sharp. It works really well, besides for about 36ms of input lag which is just tolerable enough for modern FPS gaming.. not ideal, but not terrible. If you disable 4:4:4 which is fine if you're just gaming, you can get input lag down to 20ms. I minimized input lag by turning off all the smart features like Samsung Hub and auto-update server, disabled 120Hz frame doubling, disabled all filtering and image processing options, set it to game mode, etc. Color and contrast @ 4:4:4 is just about as good as most dedicated computer monitors. Overall, I think it is the perfect size for immersive gaming when sitting 3 feet away since it takes up some peripheral vision. It does take a little getting used to, being so large, but it is essentially like having 4 seemless 20" 1080p monitors stuck together. At 100% normal desktop scaling, everything is clearly legible and the perfect size for my eyesight.

Model: Samsung UN40KU6300
Review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

My pic:
MIVmjRb.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 14, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i can't vouch for my monitor enough - it might not be the greatest in terms of what it tries to be, but it's usability and compatibility is great for all this retro stuff.

it's an AOC Agon Freesync 240hz 24.5" 1080p screen.

1x Display port input capable of (you guessed it) 240hz
2x HDMI inputs (dont ask me what version, i dont have any hdmi only stuff)
1x DVI-D input for 120hz 1080p (or higher at lower res)
1x VGA port that i've had working at 160hz @ 800x600 on a voodoo 3 3000 agp.

i dont see many new monitors that have all 4 types of inputs with this kind of performance...

apologies if it's not big enough - you know what they say tho. its not the size of the boat, it's how many super fast legacy ports it has.

Reply 6 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My 25" Acer VW257 is 1920x1200, IPS , VGA/HDMI and 70Hz capable (max 75Hz) at up to native resolution with no frame-skip . It also supports VESA adaptive sync over HDMI . I did not measure input lag, but did not notice issues . Monitor has no issue displaying oddball resolutions over HDMI using OSSC . Monitor is very inexpensive. I got mine at less than 200 CAN$ with shipping and 15% sales tax included.

Main (potential)issues/caveats:
- 6-bit + FRC (not an issue for me so far)
- 640x400, 720x400 and 1280x800 are stretched horizontally to monitor width, even when preserve aspect ratio mode is set (obviously 4:3 resolutions like 1600x1200 or 640x480 are displayed at correcy aspect ratio).

There is also an Acer BW257 which seems quite similar with added Displayport and possibly other differences .

EDIT: I did not try calibrating the monitor as it seems accurate enough for retro gaming (passes eyeball test compared to Dell 2007FPB which did need significant adjustments ).

Reply 9 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2020-06-24, 18:45:

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

It is important to decide what you expect from the monitor. For example, I really like my PD3200U (32" UHD IPS 60Hz), but it is not a very good monitor for accurate retro gaming, nor for 120Hz+ modern gaming. It is just a rather good all-round monitor. However, if I was into competitive gaming, or graphical accuracy of retro games - it would not do.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 12 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About done researching which took many hours and found this LG 38WN95C-W.

A 43+" TV isn't going to work for desk usage and how I like to work and play games so Ultrawide seems to be it.

Looks great specwise (still stuck with IPS arggh) but way too expensive and not liking the warranty but mabye can extend that via wherever I buy it. Price should drop by a couple hundred in a few months though.

38” Curved UltraWide QHD+ (3840 x 1600)
Nano IPS Display
DCI-P3 98% Color Gamut and VESA DisplayHDR 600
Thunderbolt 3 Connectivity
IPS 1ms (GtG) Response Time and 144Hz Refresh Rate
NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible
Tilt/Height/Swivel Adjustable Stand

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline