VOGONS

First post, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Deskpro EN SFF system has an internal speaker hooked up to the motherboard. It's got an on-board ESS 1869. I've got two issues:
-No PC speaker audio, no matter if I've got external speakers plugged in or not
-No digital audio from the internal speaker either - from what I understand, this should work when no speakers are plugged in to play digital audio.

In Windows I do have a 'PC Speaker' volume slider, but even with speakers plugged in I don't hear PC speaker sound, so it doesn't seem to be the case that PC speaker audio is routed through the ESS, but perhaps it should be.

I've tested the speaker by flicking the leads against a battery, it seems to work. I've also hooked a voltmeter up to the speaker while it's attached to the motherboard and it in both PC speaker and Soundblaster games it doesn't get a signal.

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with one of these systems before and if it's maybe a case of installing Compaq-specific drivers. I tried a Softpaq package meant for Presario systems, and it installed fine, but still no internal speaker.
I'd like to find some way of playing games with PC speaker sound on this, even though it seems it might be impossible with a discrete sound card installed.

Reply 1 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As your missing digital sound I'd bet those drivers are the issue.
Which is the exact Deskpro you have?

Reply 2 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-29, 11:04:

As your missing digital sound I'd bet those drivers are the issue.
Which is the exact Deskpro you have?

I can't find a clear model number, but it takes BIOS updates that say

Compaq Deskpro EN Series SFF models 6300, 6300A, 6300C, 6333, 6333C, 6350, 6400, 6450, 6450+, 6500.

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try sp9517.exe It's dated Feb 99 but couldn't find a later version fro Win9x
http://cwcyrix.nsupdate.info/ftp-archives/ftp … q/sp9501-10000/

Reply 4 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-29, 12:53:

Awesome, I'll give it at try.

Reply 5 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-29, 12:53:

Unfortunately no change, there's a PC Speaker volume slider but there's still no sound at all from the internal speaker and also no redirected PC Speaker sounds from separate speakers when I plug those in.

Still, thanks for finding this driver set, I hadn't found it.

Reply 6 of 8, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an older Compaq Presario 7170 lying around with a ESS in it.

I think you should just be able to use generic ESS drivers to initilize the card. Atleast in DOS. That's all I remember doing to get it working last time I used it anyway.

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So your not getting any sound at all, including midi? Perhaps onboard sound is faulty?

You could try a test install of WinXP, you should get the music playing during setup.

I remember upgrading a similar (if not same) EN series many years ago in a manages office.
Kicked off the install and thought I'll come back later. Get a phone call bit later on from the secretary "can you come and stop that noise"
Was the XP setup music, didn't even know this was a thing!

Reply 8 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-30, 09:30:
So your not getting any sound at all, including midi? Perhaps onboard sound is faulty? […]
Show full quote

So your not getting any sound at all, including midi? Perhaps onboard sound is faulty?

You could try a test install of WinXP, you should get the music playing during setup.

I remember upgrading a similar (if not same) EN series many years ago in a manages office.
Kicked off the install and thought I'll come back later. Get a phone call bit later on from the secretary "can you come and stop that noise"
Was the XP setup music, didn't even know this was a thing!

With external speakers, digital audio and OPL works fine, I just don't hear PC beeper sounds.
With no external speakers attached, there's no sound at all from the internal speaker.