VOGONS

First post, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good morning all !

I have a problem with the game FLAME ZAPPER on NEC PC-9801. I tried this game with DOSBox-X & Neko Project 21 but I have no sound. On YouTube here there are videos of the game with perfectly functional sound !

How to proceed there is a manipulation to do ?

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 1 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! Your game seems to be using FM, the OPNA sound device (aka FM-86), more precisely.

Some links for other vogons users, so they can learn about this game (Flame Zapper Kotsujin).. 😀
https://www.zophar.net/music/pc-9801/flame-zapper-kotsujin
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/flame-zapper-kotsujin/
https://bitchinbits.foolproofdesigns.com/2020 … apper-kotsujin/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 13, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello & thank you for your reply !

I have two questions:

1. How to use this FM sound option with an emulator ?

2. I had a lot of trouble finding the Flame Zapper game. The only file I found was a disc image from other games. I would like to find the real installation files on floppy disks... know
you where can i find them ?

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 3 of 13, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
You should be able to find most of PC-98xx games and software in the existence in Neo Kobe archive https://archive.org/details/NeoKobe-NecPc-98012017-11-17
I can't find it myself, because they're grouped by developer/publisher, which you didn't specify.

It's strange though that the sound doesn't work out of box - that's the case with software using OPN(A) on default configuration in Neko Project 21/W or other forks of this emulator.

BTW I haven't tested it myself, but DOSBox-X's PC-9801 support is rather preliminary and lacking, so i wouldn't recommend it, Neko is generally said to be the most compatible one, you can even run the full PC-98 edition of Windows or newest versions of ReactOS in it.

EDIT: Could only find it there https://japanesepccompendium.blogspot.com/201 … ujin-pc-98.html
Audio synthesis works fine on my side

Last edited by Meowdori on 2020-06-25, 19:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 13, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Meowdori !

Thank you very much for the link to the Flame Zapper Kotsujin game ! It works very well with Anex86 & Neko Project 21 ! The sound also works it's great !

The developer & publisher of this game is CO2-Pro but on archive.org I can't find this publisher... in absolute terms I would like the original floppy disks for this game,
the file you sent me is a virtual HDD file (.hdi).

Is it possible to find these floppy disks ?

Greetings !

1573296399.gif

Reply 5 of 13, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're welcome!
As for the floppy version, I wasn't able to locate any such copy. This hard drive image is all there seems to be out in the wild, but maybe a deeper search would reveal something.

Reply 7 of 13, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really, you just have to understand how a pc98 works. Anyway this game was a doujin release, so original floppies are rather scarce.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 9 of 13, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Games made by small independent teams or individuals. Typically only sold at places like comiket, mail order, or a few specialty shops.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 11 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're generally interested in PC98, you also may want to have a look into these few other PC98 threads at vogons.. ^^

Re: Some PC-98 questions...
Re: Timeline of MS-DOS for NEC PC98

Re: PC98 system
A PC98 game's port for MS-DOS crashed when it runs at DOSBox.

[SOLVED] Making an image of a PC-98 hard drive?
Old Japanese Games for PC (DOS/Win9x)

NEC PC8801 / PC9801
Any differences between a DB50XG and a XR385?

Info about Music Driver P.M.D. for IBMPC/OPL
Dreamblaster X2 on Japanese Computers

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome. 😀

//My video channel//