VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 100, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for keeping this patch alive guys! 😀

Is there a way to get this to maximize on a vertically-rotated display? I don't care that it's going to be non-pixel-perfect scaling, I just want it to fill the screen:

CameraZOOM-20191025140815272.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20191025140815272.jpg
File size
318.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 61 of 100, by DeXteRrBDN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love your picture! 😁

Regarding the resolution, maybe you can try using the scaler option from "normal2x" to "normal3x". I'm using "ddraw" also, it is the one that best fits to me rearding screen resolution and aspect ratios.

Anyway I did not try playing in vertical, I always play at the TV 😁

Reply 63 of 100, by sonninnos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fills the screen just fine here (Lenovo L220x is 16:10):

pinhack-partyland.jpg
Filename
pinhack-partyland.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I use "opengl" and resolutions on "desktop" and the vertical screen as the primary screen for best results. With "ddraw" the screen cuts at the middle and the scaling is all blocky.

Last edited by sonninnos on 2019-12-10, 06:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 64 of 100, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks guys. I forget what scaler I have it set up for but I'll tweak the settings and play around some more.

@sonninnos: nice! It's a bit of a back-burner project for me, but I set this up to build a tabletop pinball "arcade cab" with some suitably chunky buttons for the flippers, etc. 😉 I'll post pics when it's done.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 65 of 100, by sirlee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all - THANK YOU all for contributing to this.

Today I tried the precompiled DOSBox from DeXteRrBDN with the gog.com version of pinball illusions and found that it would not work. After debugging for some time I found that the the dosboxallpinballs.exe was compiled without support for CD images. Unfortunately the GOG Version uses the CD version of this game. As the CD version comes with an additional table called "The Vikings", i felt it was time to compile a new version! 😀

Here is the compiled version. Again use at your own risk 😁

As I did not remember on how I applied the patch last time and had problems finding info on how to use the .patch file I provide a quick summary on how to do your own Windows version below (I am sure you Linux guys out there can handle yourselves 😉 )

1. Follow all steps of the official Dosbox compilation tutorial: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Building_DOSBox_with_MinGW EXCEPT for the last "make" command.
2. mark and copy the content of https://github.com/DeXteRrBDN/dosbox-pinhack/ … h/pinhack.patch (only the code part of course!)
3. create a new text file under <location of mingw>\msys\1.0\home\<yourusername>\dosbox called pinhack.patch. Open it with notepad++ (or your favorite editor). Paste the above content into the file and save it.
4. in your MinGW window run the following command from within the directory containing the patch:

patch -p0 < pinhack.patch

5. Execute the final "make" command from the DOSBox tutorial.
6. You should now have a patched version.

Enjoy!

btw. I tried above procedure with downloading pinhack.patch instead of copy&paste. I used right-click save-as from chrome this saved the whole webpage under the file name instead of just the code. How do I download a patch file from Github properly?

Attachments

Reply 66 of 100, by sirlee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pinball Mania Settings (from GOG Version of Pinball Fantasies Deluxe which contains Pinball Mania) are a bit different from Pinball Fantasies (playfield is cut with 608 height)

I am using this now:

pinhack = true
pinhacktriggerwidth = 320
pinhacktriggerheight = 350
pinhackexpandwidth = 0
pinhackexpandheight = 630
pinhackpd = false
pinhackpsycho = true
pinhackdoublewidth = normal

Reply 67 of 100, by sirlee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could not get fullscreen without black borders to work, so I took the liberty and fiddled around with the sourcecode of DOSBox with DeXteRrBDN (Thank you man!) patch and modified it a bit.

My changes can be found as description in DeXteRrBDN GITHub Page: https://github.com/DeXteRrBDN/dosbox-pinhack/issues/1

With the new version attached below, I have introduced a new parameter in the .conf file under the section

[pinhack]
pinhackaspectratio = 187

This allows you to set a custom aspect ratio for pinhack in your config. This value is internally divided by 100 so it is actually 1.87 in this case. The default is 100 if you set nothing, which will render without any stretching.

Values I found so far working great:

Pinball Fantasies: 187
Pinball Dreams: 214

As this uses the aspect feature of dosbox, you also HAVE TO SET

[render]
aspect=true

SDL should include these (of course you can set windowresolution to 2160x3840 as well), but stick to "desktop" for fullscreen. it also works with other outputs like opengl.

[sdl]
fullresolution = desktop
windowresolution = 1080x1920
output = overlay

Attachments

Reply 68 of 100, by DeXteRrBDN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sirlee wrote on 2020-04-19, 11:00:
I could not get fullscreen without black borders to work, so I took the liberty and fiddled around with the sourcecode of DOSBox […]
Show full quote

I could not get fullscreen without black borders to work, so I took the liberty and fiddled around with the sourcecode of DOSBox with DeXteRrBDN (Thank you man!) patch and modified it a bit.

My changes can be found as description in DeXteRrBDN GITHub Page: https://github.com/DeXteRrBDN/dosbox-pinhack/issues/1

With the new version attached below, I have introduced a new parameter in the .conf file under the section

[pinhack]
pinhackaspectratio = 187

This allows you to set a custom aspect ratio for pinhack in your config. This value is internally divided by 100 so it is actually 1.87 in this case. The default is 100 if you set nothing, which will render without any stretching.

Values I found so far working great:

Pinball Fantasies: 187
Pinball Dreams: 214

As this uses the aspect feature of dosbox, you also HAVE TO SET

[render]
aspect=true

SDL should include these (of course you can set windowresolution to 2160x3840 as well), but stick to "desktop" for fullscreen. it also works with other outputs like opengl.

[sdl]
fullresolution = desktop
windowresolution = 1080x1920
output = overlay

Hi sirlee!! Seen your changes in the repo's issue. It's nice to see people collaborating 😁

If you want, you can create a Pull Request and I'll merge into the master branch, so your change would be in the patch for all. We could add the executable as a release also. If you cannot, I'll try to add them as a new commit and create a new release as soon as I have some free time.

I've seen your updates on the compilation process as well, sorry I missed the CD option (I understand now why I could not use the extra table in Pinball Illusions). You can create a PR also changing the Readme.md file with the compilation instructions if you want. I'll also try to do it if you cannot.

Thanks!!

Reply 69 of 100, by sirlee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your quick reply. I have answered on GITHub already and are only looking at your answer here now.

As I wrote I really don't know what a Pull Request is. Could you try to add it to the Master Branch?

For the moment we have a precompiled .exe here, so take your time 😀

Thanks for making this patch possible! I love it and play it quite a lot on my Virtual Pinball Cabinet.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Cheers

Reply 70 of 100, by BlackStar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I found Felipe's post ages ago, and since I recently built a vcab, I wanted to check if I could get Fantasies to work.
Usually, these kinds of topics are years old and are pretty much dead, so I re-implemented Felipe's changes in 0.74 and got the whole thing to work, after that, got Epic pinball to work (ish), but it's far too stretched.

My own repo is at https://github.com/BlackStar-EoP/dosbox, I don't think there's a lot that you guys haven't done yet, I still have to check the fork here and compile that 😀
But... I do have a little trick up my sleeve.

For my cabinet for Pinball FX3, I wrote my own widget that can send data to my dot matrix display, and in the past 2 days, I've been working on grabbing and parsing the memory for fantasies, it's working but has a few problems (160 px width and a real DMD is 128) but I have a couple of solutions for that.

https://github.com/BlackStar-EoP/dmdwidget/

Anyway, kudos on keeping this alive, these may be 'old' games, and not a simulation like FX3/VP, but they're part of my youth, got me into pinball and would definitely want to play them on a lifesize cab 😀

Reply 71 of 100, by felipe.sanches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! It took me a while to see your message here. I only saw this on my email inbox because I searched for "pinball fantasies" on my gmail account for some other funny reasons 🤣

I will reply on the public thread now

Cheers!!!
Felipe Sanches
https://www.youtube.com/c/HappyHackingVideoBlog

Reply 72 of 100, by felipe.sanches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh, wait! I did sent this on the public forum 🤣

I gotta say I am extremely happy to see an active community working on improvements to my patch after almost 15 years since my original posting here. Super awesome! 😁

Regarding controlling a real DMD... I would love to see a video of your setup, because I love this idea. I have done something similar 11 years ago. Take a look at these 2 youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlUbG-nseSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s5p6tqikIk

Happy Hacking,
Felipe Sanches
https://www.youtube.com/c/HappyHackingVideoBlog

PS: some of you may also be interested in checking out my youtube channel, the Happy Hacking Video Blog. I may post a Pinball Fantasies video in there as well in the near future.

Reply 73 of 100, by Draxter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

how can i use this patch to emulate the 100% feelings from Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies?
When i use High Resolution on Settings and want the original resolution on full hd 1920x1080 tfts?
I don't want the table fullscreen, i want the the original feeling with a High Resolution and a little bit more visible on the Table.
Like i use a CRT and have an vga-card that can display the High Resolution.

At the moment i use Low Resolution and Aspect Ratio false and became an square sphere without dosbox-patches.

thx

ps: i only want the calculations for an perfect sqhere with 360x350 resolution and no no-scroll patch.

Reply 74 of 100, by sirlee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Draxter wrote on 2020-06-21, 16:56:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

how can i use this patch to emulate the 100% feelings from Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies?
When i use High Resolution on Settings and want the original resolution on full hd 1920x1080 tfts?
I don't want the table fullscreen, i want the the original feeling with a High Resolution and a little bit more visible on the Table.
Like i use a CRT and have an vga-card that can display the High Resolution.

At the moment i use Low Resolution and Aspect Ratio false and became an square sphere without dosbox-patches.

thx

ps: i only want the calculations for an perfect sqhere with 360x350 resolution and no no-scroll patch.

Pinball Fantasies will not magically get a higher resolution somehow. If you try to put a 360x350 window on a 1920x1080 display, things are going to look blocky (that is if your do not want to play in a stamp-sized window). I think to get the original feeling you should try a CRT shader. This adds a lot of realism as the main problem with todays displays is, that they are too sharp. Pixels had no perfect square form back in the days, but were blurred by the CRT Screen. This effect can be simulated using shaders. Maybe this is what you want: https://mattiasgustavsson.itch.io/dosbox-crt

Additionally if you want to keep the aspect ratio and can live with black borders, just use the aspect=true option in the config. No hack required, works with the regular DOSBox.

You could, of course, also write your own patch based on this patch here. I guess using my "pinhack.aspectratio" but commenting out anything in the code that actually changes x/y resolution should do the trick. Then you could apply any aspect ratio you want, if that is your main interest.

Reply 75 of 100, by RazaXML

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow thank you guys so much for the work getting Pinball Fantasies working fullscreen. I am currently in the process of building a pinball cab and was hoping someday to be able to play PF on it with no scrolling. I looked it up and found you guys working on this, and with what you guys have posted I got it working in minutes. AMAZING. Thank you so much I've been a fan of these games since they were released (I still have my original PC CD).

I can't seem to post images, but here's a couple of links showing Party Land and Stones & Bones running portrait on the 42 inch tv that will be going in the cabinet.

http://www.razaland.com/images/pl.jpg
http://www.razaland.com/images/sab.jpg

As an additional bonus I found a program called UltraMon that can real time screen grab part of a screen and send it to another monitor. So I will be able to that the score at the top of the screen and display it on the second monitor I will have mounted above. Pretty sweet.

Thanks again for the work guys. Great job.

Reply 76 of 100, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RazaXML wrote on 2020-07-16, 00:53:
Wow thank you guys so much for the work getting Pinball Fantasies working fullscreen. I am currently in the process of building […]
Show full quote

Wow thank you guys so much for the work getting Pinball Fantasies working fullscreen. I am currently in the process of building a pinball cab and was hoping someday to be able to play PF on it with no scrolling. I looked it up and found you guys working on this, and with what you guys have posted I got it working in minutes. AMAZING. Thank you so much I've been a fan of these games since they were released (I still have my original PC CD).

I can't seem to post images, but here's a couple of links showing Party Land and Stones & Bones running portrait on the 42 inch tv that will be going in the cabinet.

http://www.razaland.com/images/pl.jpg
http://www.razaland.com/images/sab.jpg

As an additional bonus I found a program called UltraMon that can real time screen grab part of a screen and send it to another monitor. So I will be able to that the score at the top of the screen and display it on the second monitor I will have mounted above. Pretty sweet.

Thanks again for the work guys. Great job.

That's just beautiful. Keen to see the dual screen setup when you get it going!

Reply 77 of 100, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@RazaXML: Oh damn, that is seriously awesome. For my "mini" version, it turned out the TN monitor I was using just didn't look good viewing from the "bottom" in portrait mode. It still works as a vertical arcade-cab type setup, but I didn't end up finishing the project. Really cool to see someone take a stab at building one in full-scale. Please post further updates as you go along!

Reply 79 of 100, by RazaXML

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I will keep you guys posted. If you want I can post build images as I take them, but don't want to get off topic if that isn't relevant. At the least I'll post the final working shots.

Also quick question. Is there a way to have dosbox rotate the screen or will I just have to run the desktop in portrait mode? I'll probably end up running the desktop in portrait anyways, but I have to figure out how to get all the emulators to behave in whatever mode I end up with.

Thanks