VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for such a n00bish question, but is it even possible to use custom (ripped from EPROMs) BIOS in the PCem/86box? I believe I tried in the past, but didn't succeeded...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to say yes but has to be same generations new stuff won't work due to patent restrictions.
Once upon a time I renamed a server BIOS as a desktop board BIOS supported by the emulator to push the ram limit boundary for the generation emulation.
Just filename not bios internal modification.
It is now supported after i submitted my findings as mu BIOS's original filename.
If your BIOS is unique and similar to a generation supported perhaps you could do as i done and submit it to the devs to distribute if successful.
If it has anything contribution or better than already offered of course as per my example.
Choose the closest specs in the list find its files rename your files to replace emulators run and cross your fingers.

good luck!

Reply 2 of 2, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, that's exactly what I did and it didn't worked even if the emulated chipset was virtually the same as the one supported by the EPROM contents I ripped. I guess I will need to play around with it some more... Thanks.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg