VOGONS

Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So it was just a bad PAL all along. I'm up and running!

Dreamblaster was nice enough to send a replacement free of charge, and he also threw in 2 more PALs and an awesome little MT-32 music box with the monkey island theme!! What a guy!

IMG_20200208_105244.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200208_105244.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 507 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-02-14, 21:41:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-02-14, 19:53:

Yeah after giving Masterpiece a try I think I'm sold

Good for you! What game(s) did you try it on?

Descent and Duke3D

Reply 508 of 549, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-02-14, 22:32:
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-02-14, 21:41:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-02-14, 19:53:

Yeah after giving Masterpiece a try I think I'm sold

Good for you! What game(s) did you try it on?

Descent and Duke3D

Nice!

Reply 509 of 549, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to buy one! Is it around €49 I just home my country doesn't go full retard and close the borders to imports.

I'm specially interested because I heard an AWE64 with good soundfonts, and it doesn't sound that far off from the Roland-55! Which is a good thing, if I'm on a budget!

Reply 510 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CapitanOdessa wrote on 2020-02-18, 23:24:

I'd like to buy one! Is it around €49 I just home my country doesn't go full retard and close the borders to imports.

I'm specially interested because I heard an AWE64 with good soundfonts, and it doesn't sound that far off from the Roland-55! Which is a good thing, if I'm on a budget!

There is a very decent 4mb SCC-1 soundfont that really mimics the Sound Canvas well, if you have a Gold AWE64. You dont need the SIMMCON for that. The 25mb (?) SC-55 soundfont is also very good but the upgrade is marginal. Other <28mb SC-55 soundfonts are garbage.

Masterpiece.sf2 is where the SIMMCONN magic is at.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 511 of 549, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-19, 04:55:

There is a very decent 4mb SCC-1 soundfont that really mimics the Sound Canvas well, if you have a Gold AWE64. You dont need the SIMMCON for that. The 25mb (?) SC-55 soundfont is also very good but the upgrade is marginal. Other <28mb SC-55 soundfonts are garbage.

Masterpiece.sf2 is where the SIMMCONN magic is at.

Oh, I wish I could get my hands on one of those! But it would cost me half of my montly payment. So simmconn it is! I mean, a normal Value with Simconn would get the same quality as the Gold one, right? I really want to power up my Socket 7 and Slot 1 Pentium 3 machines... I want to get them completed by the end of the year, with the colourful connectors and everything! I really love how Awe64 sounds with soundfonts.

Reply 512 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Gold card has better stereo separation and slightly lower SNR but yeah it would be more or less the same.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 513 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have received the first 20 assembled simmconns. PM me if interested, I give priority to vogons people...
But please note I cannot ship outside Europe for the moment.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 514 of 549, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote on 2020-04-07, 10:42:

But please note I cannot ship outside Europe for the moment.

Ah, as a north american I guess I'm going to have to be patient for a bit longer. That said, the rest of my build isn't ready yet anyways 😀
Please keep us updated on the situation!

Reply 515 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kepstin wrote on 2020-04-07, 17:13:

Ah, as a north american I guess I'm going to have to be patient for a bit longer. That said, the rest of my build isn't ready yet anyways 😀

Hey I can ship again to USA 😉

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 516 of 549, by Modelist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-01-04, 15:47:

Thanks, I was just curious because I thought they looked slightly smaller than the standard 2.54mm (0.1") connector. I'm currently reworking the schematic in KiCAD with a PCB design. Also, making everything through-hole would be much easier for a DIY kit (instead of the PLCC socket for the programmable logic). It is available in a DIP package as well.

Did you manage to create a project in KICAD?

Reply 517 of 549, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Modelist wrote on 2020-06-30, 17:24:

Thanks, I was just curious because I thought they looked slightly smaller than the standard 2.54mm (0.1") connector. I'm currently reworking the schematic in KiCAD with a PCB design. Also, making everything through-hole would be much easier for a DIY kit (instead of the PLCC socket for the programmable logic). It is available in a DIP package as well.

I got everything except the trace routing and network done. Then since January, I've been working 84hrs per week and have not had the time to finish it due to the little time I've had because other projects took priority.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 518 of 549, by Modelist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-30, 20:06:
Modelist wrote on 2020-06-30, 17:24:

I got everything except the trace routing and network done. Then since January, I've been working 84hrs per week and have not had the time to finish it due to the little time I've had because other projects took priority.

I understand very well the lack of free time. Work comes first.
I created my project in KiСAD, but I'm not completely sure of the correctness to the end. I need to check everything again ...

Reply 519 of 549, by Asmodeusbell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote on 2020-05-16, 08:41:
kepstin wrote on 2020-04-07, 17:13:

Hey I can ship again to USA 😉

Wondering if you are still able to ship the USA? I was wanting to get one of the SIMMConn for a SB AWE64 CT4380 and thinking of a S2 for a SB16?