VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 301 of 547, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-01, 11:42:

I can't take anyone who says "A computer without touch is broken" seriously.

Well, back in the 1980s we had light pens on real computers so. .

The French TO7-70 had one by default, for example.

Thomson-TO7-70-Lichtgriffel.jpg
Filename
File size
172.4 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Digitizers like light pens, drawing boards or special touch grids (addons for CRTs) were always around, even before a little rodent got popular.

hqdefault.jpg
Filename
hqdefault.jpg
File size
13.49 KiB
Views
File license

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHIknNa6Eg

Nowadays, I wouldn't even bother buying a new laptop without touch screen.

Edit : LCARS from Star Trek or Andromeda is also touch-capable. 😉

px(1).jpg
Filename
px(1).jpg
File size
21.44 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: Some cars from the 1980s had touch, too.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cyberpunk/comments/7 … al_information/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 302 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-07-01, 12:01:
Well, back in the 1980s we had light pens on real computers so. . […]
Show full quote

Digitizers like light pens, drawing boards or special touch grids (addons for CRTs) were always around, even before a little rodent got popular.

hqdefault.jpg

px(1).jpg

I have nothing against having a touch capable peripheral attached to a computer . However, I do not like putting fingerprints on my primary screen, so no touch for me on that . To bring back the Star Trek analogy, the LCARS terminals may be touch, but I doubt the main viewer is .

The day somebody comes up with an oleophobic coating that actually works and can easily be cleaned, I might change my mind .

Reply 303 of 547, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed. I could say a computer without Vulkan is broken but I'd be just as wrong. It's just clickbait. I'd trust what someone on these forums (well some people 😉 ) says versus those guys any day of the week.
If there is only xxx in x years then it wouldn't be for the better. Unless we are talking no diseases or somesuch but even that likely wouldn't be a great idea either.

If touch ever becomes mandatory across all screens then I have no problem with it as long as it can be disabled, the price doesn't increase which won't happen, the software isn't crippled for non-touch because the developers are shit, the screens aren't glossy and the screen doesn't become grubby without having to clean it all the time. None of that will never happen or if does it'll be far down the line so it'll be comprimises as always.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-07-01, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 304 of 547, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-07-01, 12:45:
Jo22 wrote on 2020-07-01, 12:01:
Well, back in the 1980s we had light pens on real computers so. . […]
Show full quote

hqdefault.jpg

px(1).jpg

I have nothing against having a touch capable peripheral attached to a computer . However, I do not like putting fingerprints on my primary screen, so no touch for me on that . To bring back the Star Trek analogy, the LCARS terminals may be touch, but I doubt the main viewer is .

Well, you could also wear gloves (remember data gloves, they were a hit in the 80s) or use a touch pen (stylus), just like a typical Palmtop or Handheld PC user did since the 90s. 😉
I use a smartphone pen with my 10" tablet, for example, because it is much more precise and civilized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Glove
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylus_(computing)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_(PDA)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_PC

Edit: Because of the main screen.. Yes, I think that holds true.
Though if the screen on a desktop was slightly tilted, like in a modern pinball game, I'd go with a touch screen.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 306 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Touch screens on a desktop/laptop formfactor PC inevitably results in gorilla arm syndrome. Anyone who thinks it is an essential feature to PCs is deluding themselves.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 307 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

On a desktop/laptop it's not supposed to replace the keyboard and mouse but to complement it... same as the mouse was never supposed to replace the keyboard (and I guess if you search you will find the same comment about mice back then).

Probably people are finding new ways to make use of devices that *you* don't.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 308 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-01, 14:44:

On a desktop/laptop it's not supposed to replace the keyboard and mouse but to complement it... same as the mouse was never supposed to replace the keyboard (and I guess if you search you will find the same comment about mice back then).

There was neve an argument about mice not being ergonomic, as far as I can remember. Their ability to replace keyboards was another argument altogether. And as you may check I did not argue against touch screens on the basis of their inability to replace keyboard and mouse. The problem I pointed out is that they don't even complement them. They can be used on their own in a mobile/tablet form factor, but on a desktop/laptop they are near completely useless to me and people I know.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 309 of 547, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you're actually agreeing with appiah4, since "complementary" ~= "not essential", and that's pretty much what he wrote. 😉 I'm not even sure if that clickbaity ex-technologist on twitter meant his "broken" statement seriously, or as a form of sarcasm.

TBH I don't see the parallel with the mouse, because the adoption of mice was 100% related to the introduction of the GUI: you can't really use one effectively without a pointing device. There's no new paradigm-shift in desktop/laptop usage that calls for touch capability in a similar way.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 310 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO the use of touch screens varies according to who is using. We obviously don't need every screen to be touch screen.

For example, designers and artists would love it, especially with a pen. I for one like it for my UI/UX designs. And having a screen this big with touch instead of buying a bulky WACOM tablet to carry with my MBP? I'd rather get the touch screen. Precision may not be good enough, but it's a complaint I leave for the artists. UI/UX designs don't need that high level of precision which translates later to code.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 311 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
VileR wrote on 2020-07-01, 15:32:

So you're actually agreeing with appiah4, since "complementary" ~= "not essential", and that's pretty much what he wrote. 😉 I'm not even sure if that clickbaity ex-technologist on twitter meant his "broken" statement seriously, or as a form of sarcasm.

TBH I don't see the parallel with the mouse, because the adoption of mice was 100% related to the introduction of the GUI: you can't really use one effectively without a pointing device. There's no new paradigm-shift in desktop/laptop usage that calls for touch capability in a similar way.

sure, same as mobile phones without a physical keyboard were laughed at... see how that turned out...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 312 of 547, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seconded. I am quite happy with the touchscreen on my Thinkpad 25. I use it from time to time for specific things, but never enough to develop the "gorilla arm syndrome", and most of the usage is still keyboard/mouse.

Now, if it has *only* touch (like an iPad), then I can't treat it as a computer at all, because regardless of form factor, just a touchsceen is simply insufficient for any kind of serious content production (as opposed to content consumption, which these devices are often ideal for). Casually type an email / message - sure. Do any serious creative work - no.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 313 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-01, 16:10:

sure, same as mobile phones without a physical keyboard were laughed at... see how that turned out...

Exactly... Who is talking about Blackberry now?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 314 of 547, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On a desktop/laptop it's not supposed to replace the keyboard and mouse but to complement it...

anything that makes me take my hands away from my input devices is not complementing but distracting
combined with the absolute lack of haptic feedback (no vibration is not haptic feedback) with touch inputs I don't see the end of keyboards or mice anytime soon, certainly not in my lifetime.

yes, and I still absolutely hate typing on my phone :p there's nothing enjoyable about that.
sure for general browsing and swiping through pictures on a tablet/phone touch is just fine, but while typing "works" it is far from ideal.

Last edited by imi on 2020-07-01, 16:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 315 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-07-01, 16:12:

Casually type an email / message - sure. Do any serious creative work - no.

Refer to my post above about serious creatives/designers/artists. They (myself included) clearly need it.

For all other things we have keyboard and mice...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 316 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-01, 15:24:

There was neve an argument about mice not being ergonomic, as far as I can remember. Their ability to replace keyboards was another argument altogether. And as you may check I did not argue against touch screens on the basis of their inability to replace keyboard and mouse. The problem I pointed out is that they don't even complement them. They can be used on their own in a mobile/tablet form factor, but on a desktop/laptop they are near completely useless to me and people I know.

There *IS* still talk about mice not being ergonomic (carpal tunnel syndrome?). And there are still people that frown upon gui and say they can do things much faster and efficient with the keyboard. And as pointed out, *you* and the people you know don't think a touch screen complements a desktop/laptop, but apparently there *are* people that think so (including me, so now you know someone 😀), e.g. Microsoft, Lenovo, etc...

Reply 317 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
imi wrote on 2020-07-01, 16:14:

yes, and I still absolutely hate typing on my phone :p there's nothing enjoyable about that.
sure for general browsing and swiping through pictures on a tablet/phone touch is just fine, but while typing "works" it is far from ideal.

people are different, but in general it seems the laughed at touchscreen sweepingly conquered the keyboard on mobiles. Personally I love the touchscreens for what I do on a mobile or tablet. It's there when I need it but disappears and gives me a lot of screen estate when it isn't needed.
I do use and need a keyboard for lengthy stuff. For example short answers on vogons with a touch screen is good. For lengthy answers, I prefer a keyboard.
Similar to how I do quick research on the tablet but for lengthy one, I rather use my imac.

Reply 318 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about mice vs touchpads? I'd rather use a touchpad, but for things like Photoshop I need a mice because of some level of precision (Yes, I am that picky with each pixel I design). Unless I have a touch screen with a pen, then I don't need a mice anymore. All I need is a keyboard, a touch screen, and a touchpad. Alternating between the last two is enough not to have that so called "gorilla arm syndrome". This setup is actually same as the 2020 iPad Pro with a keyboard/touchpad cover, which is why I am saving money for this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but hey, that's just me and my 2 cents.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2020-07-01, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 319 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-01, 16:27:

How about mice vs touchpads? I'd rather use a touchpad, but for things like Photoshop I need a mice because of some level of precision (Yes, I am that picky with each pixel I design). Unless I have a touch screen with a pen, then I don't need a mice anymore. All I need is a keyboard, a touch screen, and a touchpad. Alternating between the last two is enough not to have that so called "gorilla arm syndrome". This setup is actually same as the 2020 iPad Pro with a keyboard/touchpad cover, which is why I am saving money for this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but hey, that's just me and my 2 cents.

JOBS, Steve.