VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 320 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-01, 16:27:

How about mice vs touchpads? I'd rather use a touchpad, but for things like Photoshop I need a mice because of some level of precision (Yes, I am that picky with each pixel I design).

same here

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 321 of 547, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-01, 15:49:

And having a screen this big with touch instead of buying a bulky WACOM tablet to carry with my MBP? I'd rather get the touch screen. Precision may not be good enough, but it's a complaint I leave for the artists. UI/UX designs don't need that high level of precision which translates later to code.

IIRC there are several gadgets now that have a touch screen with the sensitivity of a Wacom-type pen tablet, specifically for artists (I believe Wacom makes a few models themselves). That's definitely something I'd like to try for graphics / drawing / painting. My current Wacom is awesome, but let's face it, there's always something missing when you're drawing on one surface and seeing the results on another.
These things may even be a good fit for precision pixel art (given the right software). Probably not for ANSI art though, that's still keyboard-only for me. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 322 of 547, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah the wacom screens have been around for a while, I much prefer stylus input to actual touchscreens, I wish more phones had them (no not those chunky capacitive finger emulating ones).

I loved my Xperia Z Ultra for that reason, you could basically use anything conductive as a stylus, a simple pencil would work just fine, I don't get why they don't include that technology anymore.

Reply 323 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't use a pen on a phone - but on a tablet yes.

My mother is an architect and has a Lenovo Yoga with, uh, I believe it is, because I've tried it once, a touch screen. She never uses it (the touch screen). But yea, this model can flip around and turn into a tablet so you can touch it and even draw on it with a pen. It's really a very good concept. But she does not use because a) she is 50 yrs old so not used to new tech and b) she prefers to use mice and keyboard, it's her workflow anyway.

If the MacBook had that, I could design my sites on Adobe .X.D (the forums convert the name into an emoji so I have to put something different) a bit faster than I do today, it's just a matter of adapting to a new workflow. I am actually testing this idea with Vectornator on my iPad Pro to design the new version of my own site.

My previous post was talking about having to carry around a wacom tablet with the MBP for more design/art work than just web design. If I had the option to go with a touch screen MBP with similar usage like the previously mentioned Lenovo Yoga, then I'd go for it. Wacom tablets are definitely good but not having to carry around 2 big devices with me is just a win situation.

But for a desktop iMac, for sure you should get a wacom tablet for that kind of work; I don't think touch screen should go on iMacs, but MBPs sound reasonably good for certain professionals. I've seen on youtube several iMac concepts with a touch screen that would definitely work in certain situations but not my case. For example, I've seen one where an engineer was designing a car chassis.

EDIT: For POS (Point of Sale) I think it might be relevant to have a touch screen mac.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 324 of 547, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only reason why Apple hasn't put a Wacom touchscreen into their Macbooks is that they're afraid to kill the iPad sales. Why buy a tablet when you can get a notebook that is also a tablet?

I might even switch to Apple if they had a similar device to my ThinkPad L390 Yoga which is very versatile.
- I can use touch to read PDF's (print magazines, for example) and scroll through / zoom into them with my finger.
- I can also use the Wacom tablet with my Bamboo pen to draw and be creative. 4096 pressure points is a very high sensitivity to simulate all kinds of brushes.
- I can take quick notes in OneNote while speaking to a customer on a phone or sitting right next to them.

All of this in one device instead of two.

But: Apple can do marketing better than Lenovo. Their devices aren't nearly as capable in comparison, but they make really good ads.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 326 of 547, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

very curious to see how far Apple can push their SoCs, I've been very impressed by what they are doing for a while (at least since 2014), so without the form factor/TDP limitations of a phone/tablet things can get interesting,
also Apple can do all sorts of software and hardware (like specific accelerators) optimizations...

I can see them gaining more than losing with this move, but who knows.
perhaps the GPU is a bigger challenge than the CPU (if they are going to ditch AMD)?

is bootcamp really a big deal for mac users? my impression was that by far most Mac users didn't touch it,

Reply 327 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-07-01, 19:38:
The only reason why Apple hasn't put a Wacom touchscreen into their Macbooks is that they're afraid to kill the iPad sales. Why […]
Show full quote

The only reason why Apple hasn't put a Wacom touchscreen into their Macbooks is that they're afraid to kill the iPad sales. Why buy a tablet when you can get a notebook that is also a tablet?

I might even switch to Apple if they had a similar device to my ThinkPad L390 Yoga which is very versatile.
- I can use touch to read PDF's (print magazines, for example) and scroll through / zoom into them with my finger.
- I can also use the Wacom tablet with my Bamboo pen to draw and be creative. 4096 pressure points is a very high sensitivity to simulate all kinds of brushes.
- I can take quick notes in OneNote while speaking to a customer on a phone or sitting right next to them.

All of this in one device instead of two.

But: Apple can do marketing better than Lenovo. Their devices aren't nearly as capable in comparison, but they make really good ads.

A Macbook Pro with a touch screen is a dream, I would get one too. But they shouldn't do that anyway. I think that a better solution for them is to make the iPad Pro more powerful, more than the now defunct MacBook Air, running a hybrid of iOS and macOS in terms of UI (iOS UI when on the go like a mobile device, and macOS UI when used as a computer, similar to Samsung Dex concept).

The iPad Pro with a decent smart keyboard cover (the one with a touchpad as well) is good enough; The screen is detachable for drawing (so you don't scratch your keyboard on the table when you draw, something that I'd be scared to do if I had a Lenovo Yoga).

Just an idea I'm throwing here and I had right now.

dr_st wrote on 2020-07-01, 20:18:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-01, 19:04:

I wouldn't use a pen on a phone - but on a tablet yes.

Amateur. I use a pen even on my button phone. 😜

🤣! Well... just personal preference! I think that it's kinda cumbersome to use a pen with a phone that has a screen smaller than a paycheck.

SPBHM wrote on 2020-07-01, 20:30:
very curious to see how far Apple can push their SoCs, I've been very impressed by what they are doing for a while (at least sin […]
Show full quote

very curious to see how far Apple can push their SoCs, I've been very impressed by what they are doing for a while (at least since 2014), so without the form factor/TDP limitations of a phone/tablet things can get interesting,
also Apple can do all sorts of software and hardware (like specific accelerators) optimizations...

I can see them gaining more than losing with this move, but who knows.
perhaps the GPU is a bigger challenge than the CPU (if they are going to ditch AMD)?

is bootcamp really a big deal for mac users? my impression was that by far most Mac users didn't touch it,

The GPU is the same as used on A12X. But only time will tell if they can use AMD GPUs together. Kinda like Intel Iris/AMD Radeon on MacBook Pro works. A14 GPU for common tasks, AMD GPU for more intensive, powerful tasks. We have to wait and see. But even the A12Z GPU in that DTK with an extra core unlocked is quite impressive and Apple isn't even trying hard here yet.

BootCamp for me personally... is important only for sim racing games that I can only play on Windows. But I am accepting to wait for newer racing game titles to be developed for this new mac. I am quite pissed with the current racing game options (iRacing is expensive and based on NR2003 17 yr old code, Assetto Corsa and rFactor are GPU demanding, PCars physics are laughable and I won't even mention the GPU demanding F1 2019 with its arcade physics) so waiting for better titles to be made or ported to ARM is a good idea for me.

For all other things I can just use virtualization software. I am yet to see VMware and Parallels say a word on this subject this month.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 328 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked out UTM on github and the developer is indeed looking forward to port his app to macOS. Theres a GOOD chance UTM will provide x86 emulation for macOS Big Sur through QEMU. Not sure how the performance will be but by judging how Windows XP and 7 runs on latest iPad Pro (youtube videos) and how A13 is a tad better, and A14 will be something better but on steroids...

Theres a GOOD chance, that QEMU will not suck that much on first ARM Macs. I think he saw the opportunity like I did before. Hopefully he wont sell his solution to some sh*t company like Oracle because Oracle did nothing, absolutely nothing for Virtualbox. Parallels and VMware will have proper solutions for virtualization in the future, but QEMU is still a free emulation choice.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 329 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.cultofmac.com/716121/iphone-runni … mac-ipad-rumor/

More food for thought!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 330 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed an interesting thing in the Metal section of Apple's developer website:

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 21.05.36.png
Filename
File size
52.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I think this is the first time they have actually done something useful to encourage porting of games to their platforms.

Reply 331 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-07-02, 20:08:

I noticed an interesting thing in the Metal section of Apple's developer website:

I think this is the first time they have actually done something useful to encourage porting of games to their platforms.

That's good news indeed!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 332 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They kind of have to if they want to have any games on ARM at all. We all know how well game support went for PowerPC.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 334 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-02, 21:42:

They kind of have to if they want to have any games on ARM at all. We all know how well game support went for PowerPC.

They are aiming to get the iOS games on theor desktop...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 335 of 547, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The horror!

It was actually somewhat better than during the Intel years. Still quite shitty though.

Probably because it was easier to port games back then.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 336 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-02, 22:20:
The horror! […]
Show full quote

The horror!

It was actually somewhat better than during the Intel years. Still quite shitty though.

Probably because it was easier to port games back then.

Yeah, there was a lot of quake 2/3 based games back then that just used OGL by default, so one issue was solved.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 338 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People have been slagging off the battery indicator design on macOS Big Sur. I agree the design is SHIT.

But then I saw this on Reddit and was amazed at how easy it is to improve...

6ofjbxy5ie751.jpg

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 339 of 547, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-01, 23:12:

I just checked out UTM on github and the developer is indeed looking forward to port his app to macOS. Theres a GOOD chance UTM will provide x86 emulation for macOS Big Sur through QEMU. Not sure how the performance will be but by judging how Windows XP and 7 runs on latest iPad Pro (youtube videos) and how A13 is a tad better, and A14 will be something better but on steroids...

Theres a GOOD chance, that QEMU will not suck that much on first ARM Macs. I think he saw the opportunity like I did before. Hopefully he wont sell his solution to some sh*t company like Oracle because Oracle did nothing, absolutely nothing for Virtualbox. Parallels and VMware will have proper solutions for virtualization in the future, but QEMU is still a free emulation choice.

Ironically, emulation of a powerful DOS system would be more of a challenge than
emulating the much more complex Windows.

There's an interesting article in Byte Magazine 1994, issue #1:
"SunSelect's Wabi vs. Insignia Solutions' SoftWindows"

https://archive.org/details/eu_BYTE-1994-01_O … e/n185/mode/2up

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//