VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

how is it going lately?? I am using the inexperience patcher and it is indeed a good starting point, apart of certain things on explorer.exe, boot screen, the start menu banner using the wrong font for the windows version name...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 41 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While I was customizing my Windows XP to look like a fake "Windows 2002 Professional", I managed to fix the weird start menu caption, provided by Inexperience Patcher, with a more optimized one. Here it is, in case anyone is interested:

Now I just need a new boot screen. I am using a good 2000 replica boot screen, but I have no clue on how to edit so I could write "2002" over it. For now I am using a black loading screen similar to Vista (without any logo).

Attachments

• Filename
    Win2002.zip
    File size
    2.09 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 42 of 43, by cybrasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2020-06-02, 03:37:

While I was customizing my Windows XP to look like a fake "Windows 2002 Professional", I managed to fix the weird start menu caption, provided by Inexperience Patcher, with a more optimized one. Here it is, in case anyone is interested:

Could you let me know how you did that?

I am currently finishing building a little XP box out of a thin client, and I am planning on customizing the crap out of how it looks - would love to get a custom start menu banner going as well.

I plan on starting with the Inexperience Patcher, but I would like to mod it beyond that. I see Resource Hacker mentioned in this topic - is there some good tutorial/manual I could follow, as I never messed with tweaking windows before.

Reply 43 of 43, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used resource hacker to locate the file where it is compressed. I don’t remember which file, my guess is that the file is probably explorer.exe. With RH you can extract the original, or change it to a different bitmap. I extracted windows 2000 banner and modified the last zero to show “2” so its 2002, and saved it as a bitmap so I could use it on XP.

JOBS, Steve.