VOGONS

Reply 20 of 57, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Long story short, win2k is easy to install and runs more software than NT. Most ppro boards have usb, nt4 doesn't really support usb (natively).

If you choose non winblows OS, that's your own thing.

Win2k just works. Just give it at least 256mb of ram.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22 of 57, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2020-07-12, 05:08:

nt4 doesn't really support usb (natively).

I wonder about that. Do you think it was special install by Digital to support USB1.0 on their NT4- portables?

IIRC it was just a standard NT4 install that made it work fine (the PC Card slots however needed the drivers and CardWare software from an external company, and was included with the purchase of the machine)?

Another option, instead of choosing just one, is to install a dual boot config. That way you can choose which of the systems you want to start the machine with. You get NT4 historically, and performance wise better choice (even if NT 3.51 would have been even better in both those regards, I do not think that supports USB) and W2K with it's PnP, and better software/hardware support. Best of both worlds! 😀

Last edited by martinot on 2020-07-12, 09:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 23 of 57, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-07-11, 21:15:
luckybob wrote on 2020-07-11, 03:21:

Windows 2000.

PERIOD. End of discussion.

Why? BSD or Solaris might be interesting options depending on OP's knowledge base. A huge amount of PPro and similar gear was used to build many of the bigger mid 90s internet server infrastructures.

It could absolutely be interesting (I used to run FreeBSD in the mid 90'ies, and try out other systems like OS/2, etc.). That said; just like with Linux today, UNIX is a great system for servers, embedded and developer machines, but both the hardware support, and software support is most often severely lacking compared to common desktop systems (different versions of Windows and macOS), which often makes the different UNICES a less good choice for normal desktop users.

That was one of the reason why I quit using *BSD, OS/2, and other systems i had setup for multiboot for many years. With arrival of NT I could have the best compromise (for me, could be different needs/priorities for others) of both worlds; stable systems and good hardware and software support by third parties, at the same time.

Reply 24 of 57, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firstly how much memory do you have?

Why limit yourself to just one, on my Dual Socket 8 system I have 384 MB and all of NT4 SP6a + W2K SP4 + WXP SP3 installed on an 18GB DEC RZ2EA-LA SCSI drive.

Reply 25 of 57, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't you guys realize you are just feeding a troll? OP does never respond to your answers, just bringing up new questions (if even) without any relation to your statements and out of context. Most of the time he chickens out of the discussion immediately after starting a topic.

Reply 27 of 57, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote on 2020-07-12, 11:19:

Don't you guys realize you are just feeding a troll? OP does never respond to your answers, just bringing up new questions (if even) without any relation to your statements and out of context. Most of the time he chickens out of the discussion immediately after starting a topic.

luckybob wrote on 2020-07-12, 11:36:

It's a bot. I know its a bot.

But when people Google this question, I hope they find an answer.

If he’s a bot, that’s some pretty advanced AI. He has responded directly to others and engaged in discussion in some threads.

If he’s a Troll just trying to stimulate discussion among the other users of these forums, that doesn’t seem like a horrible thing. If it bothers you, ignoring is an option.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 29 of 57, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blurks wrote on 2020-07-12, 11:19:

Ok, did not know that. Thanks for the warning.

Reply 30 of 57, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ehehe.... in the beginning I thought it was an app installed by the moderators in order to create a FAQ base.

Reply 31 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
martinot wrote on 2020-07-12, 09:00:

It could absolutely be interesting (I used to run FreeBSD in the mid 90'ies, and try out other systems like OS/2, etc.). That said; just like with Linux today, UNIX is a great system for servers, embedded and developer machines, but both the hardware support, and software support is most often severely lacking compared to common desktop systems (different versions of Windows and macOS), which often makes the different UNICES a less good choice for normal desktop users.

That was one of the reason why I quit using *BSD, OS/2, and other systems i had setup for multiboot for many years. With arrival of NT I could have the best compromise (for me, could be different needs/priorities for others) of both worlds; stable systems and good hardware and software support by third parties, at the same time.

I'd argue that Linux has certainly caught up to MacOS in hardware and software support these days (Adobe's intransigence notwithstanding). Talking about period or near period software, yes, paying attention to hardware compatibility is definitely an important point, although BSD and Solaris were definitely oriented to running on this type of system, so hardware compatibility should be relatively good. The critical issue remains what the OP intends to do with his rig.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 32 of 57, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

every time I get tricked into posting in one of its threads I kick myself

Reply 33 of 57, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-07-12, 16:32:

I'd argue that Linux has certainly caught up to MacOS in hardware and software support these days (Adobe's intransigence notwithstanding).

I work a lot with music,both DJ and production, as well as photography, and even if Linux got some software, it does not generally have any support at all from the AAA-vendors.

I have no problem with software for my Mac machines. macOS is generally equal to Windows regarding software in all types of creative areas, and even better in some cases (like Apples own Final Cut Pro and Logic).

Talking about period or near period software, yes, paying attention to hardware compatibility is definitely an important point, although BSD and Solaris were definitely oriented to running on this type of system, so hardware compatibility should be relatively good.

For server things; sure. Great support for *BSD and other UNICES (including Solaris x86).

For general desktop apps, like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, etc; not so much.

For printers, scanners, sound cards, graphics cards, and other desktop stuff; it is often the same (generally poor) situation.

The critical issue remains what the OP intends to do with his rig.

But why not install several systems and multiboot? Choose what you want when you start up. 😀

That is what I used to do in the beginning and middle of the 90:ies. Had multiboot menu on my computer for MS-DOS 6/Win3.11, FreeBSD 2.x, OS/2 Warp 3/4 and Windows NT 3.x/4 (and for some time also Windows 95, until I got tired of it's crashes).

Reply 34 of 57, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Come to think of it, the USB support criterium is difficult...

* Pentium Pro boards come with USB - therefore W2K

but...

* W2K is from 2000, and PPro was discontinued with the introduction of Xeon, ie. 1998
* In the PPro era, there was virtually no USB devices, USB was even nicknamed "Useless Serial Bus", it finally began to change with the release of W98 - the first system with mature(*) USB support
* USB - especially its first versions - was consumer-oriented, definitely not something you would want to use with a powerful dual PPro

So, if you care about your machine being period-correct, then install NT4, and don't connect any USB stuff, instead use eg. external SCSI

(*) - well, it was supposed to be mature, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKy9fV_zX_o

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 35 of 57, by Forsa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-07-10, 10:49:
The title should have been "what is the best Windows OS for a dual PPro"! […]
Show full quote

The title should have been "what is the best Windows OS for a dual PPro"!

Cause the answer concerning compatibility and driver support is this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000815094229/ht … list_intel.html
But it all comes down to what you want to do with the computer anyway...

Or maybe OPENSTEP can be a good candidate too:
http://www.shawcomputing.net/resources/next/h … tibility_1.html

OPENSTEP does not support more than one processor (SMP). Its eventual successor Mac OS X does.

I would second in saying BeOS would be a fantastic choice for a dual Pentium Pro system. It's period-accurate and has excellent performance, it was written from the ground up with SMP in mind. Of course, it's not compatible with DOS and Windows software, so you might want to install DOS or Windows on a different partition and dual boot.

Reply 36 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
martinot wrote on 2020-07-12, 20:19:

I work a lot with music,both DJ and production, as well as photography, and even if Linux got some software, it does not generally have any support at all from the AAA-vendors.

Not all of them, no, but there is support from some AAA vendors and in some categories, proprietary software has been completely supplanted. If you want to stick with a specific application, though, you go where the ISV sends you.

I have no problem with software for my Mac machines. macOS is generally equal to Windows regarding software in all types of creative areas, and even better in some cases (like Apples own Final Cut Pro and Logic).

Logic and FCP aren't the best of breed any more, though. Logic is competing with Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, and others. FCP lost a lot feature wise with the Great Redesign and competitors have definitely picked up the slack.

For server things; sure. Great support for *BSD and other UNICES (including Solaris x86).

For general desktop apps, like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, etc; not so much.

Well, Windows NT wasn't even the greatest desktop operating system circa 1995.

For printers, scanners, sound cards, graphics cards, and other desktop stuff; it is often the same (generally poor) situation.

For period correct software, yes.

But why not install several systems and multiboot? Choose what you want when you start up. 😀

I don't disagree. Which operating systems do you recommend multi-booting?

OP still needs to decide what he wants to do.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 37 of 57, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

* In the PPro era, there was virtually no USB devices, USB was even nicknamed "Useless Serial Bus"

Who cares? It's <insert current year> now and you can use some USB mouse or drop files from flash.

* W2K is from 2000, and PPro was discontinued with the introduction of Xeon, ie. 1998

Yet again, who cares, if it's objectively better to install W2K on Pentium Pro?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 38 of 57, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't see the point of USB on any retro rigs at all, Don't even use it on my XP rigs
Keyboard/Mouse either set legacy support in bios or even better the PS2 ports and let a converter do all the work.
File Transfer, CD for the big things like OS and once that's up network is more convenient and reliable.
Maybe a game controller? by this point Win98 will probably be a viable option.
Is there something else I'm missing?

Reply 39 of 57, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-07-13, 10:27:
Don't see the point of USB on any retro rigs at all, Don't even use it on my XP rigs Keyboard/Mouse either set legacy support in […]
Show full quote

Don't see the point of USB on any retro rigs at all, Don't even use it on my XP rigs
Keyboard/Mouse either set legacy support in bios or even better the PS2 ports and let a converter do all the work.
File Transfer, CD for the big things like OS and once that's up network is more convenient and reliable.
Maybe a game controller? by this point Win98 will probably be a viable option.
Is there something else I'm missing?

USB is a life saver for other reasons, I can move my joystick and gamepad around seamlessly without having to turn anything off