VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ReinyDay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there! Since I haven't really found a way to access most Win98 games on WinXP, I decided to set up my old PC with Win98. It works fine.

But now I am wondering if it wouldn't have been better to have real DOS installed before, so I can quit Win98 to a full working DOS system. I remember it from the old days, the regular DOS-Mode from Win98 does not come with the average driver like for mouse or cd-rom.

Anyway, is there a way I can add 'real' DOS now? Would it be enough to add the drivers that are missing?

Would it make any sense anyway? Under Win98, I am using an older Nvidia Gforce GPU using an old DX driver. DOS Games with old 2D graphics usually work fine with DOSBox, right? And old 3D Dos games would need old GPU cards like Voodoo anyway - so adding DOS to that system now would do anything special for me in these cases?

Any ideas / suggestions?

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 98 does have "Real DOS", it's MSDOS v7. 😉
All you need to do is download the drivers.

Also video cards older than a Geforce didn't have a "GPU".
Real DOS is handy even today especially with BUILD engine games (Blood,Redneck Rampage) and later DOS games that are too resource intensive for DosBox .

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With Windows 95 and 98 Microsoft makes everyone think that the operating system is Windows when in fact it isn't. It's just like Windows 3.1 it just 'says' it's its own operating system. All you have to do to get it to startup in DOS all the time instead of Windows is edit the msdos.sys file in C:\ and change "BootGUI=1" to "BootGUI=0". Or if it's not there just add it. Now you've got a DOS system! Also, you could add/change "BootMenu=1" to "BootMenu=0" so that the annoying Windows bootup logo animation doesn't show. And if you want to get into Windows just type "win" anywhere in DOS and it'll load it up just like Win 3.1. Although the difference is it won't just let you quit Windows like Win 3.1 will. You have to restart the computer.

I'm currently doing this with my 486 with Win95 and it works like a charm. But I've tried it with Win 98 and it works great, too.

Reply 3 of 11, by ReinyDay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies! I think starting with Win98 should be fine with me, I'll just try to add the DOS drivers to the AUTOEXEC.BAT - I just hope I remember how to do that! What will I need? Soundcard, mouse, cd-rom and VESA, right?

Reply 4 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BootMenu=1 is for showing the boot menu.

Logo=0 will prevent annoying logo from showing.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

IMHO Windows98SE contains the best DOS which Microsoft ever produced... I have not ever needed any older version of DOS...
As far as I know normal MS DOSes did not support FAT32. MS DOS 7 supports it...
Just boot into command line (as described above).

Mirek

Reply 6 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BootMenu=1 is for showing the boot menu.

Logo=0 will prevent annoying logo from showing.

Oh right....must be a bit different for Win95 and Win98 and I got them mixed up.

Reply 7 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MS-DOS 7.x (which is included with Win95, 98, 98SE and, yes, even WinME) is fully-functional as a standalone DOS version. I think it may be a bit bloated with hooks for Win9x/ME (which run on top of DOS, just like Win 3.x and older) but I never had problems except with some Creative AWE64 drivers.

Reply 9 of 11, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

MS-DOS 7.x (which is included with Win95, 98, 98SE and, yes, even WinME) is fully-functional as a standalone DOS version.

Just to say something here. Windows ME comes with MS-DOS 8, which was the last version of DOS Microsoft ever created (And I've heard mix thoughts about this version too). When you create a boot disk in Windows 2000 or XP, it actually creates a Windows ME boot disk without all the nice features like fdisk or whatever, but it does use the MS-DOS 8.0 system fles for the boot disk. But then you still can't see the NTFS filesystem drives, so what for? Because even XP and 2000 can be created on a FAT16 or FAT32 partition, but it's not recommended and I don't know how to do it. (Ask Mike Meyers!)

HunterZ wrote:

I think it may be a bit bloated with hooks for Win9x/ME (which run on top of DOS, just like Win 3.x and older) but I never had problems except with some Creative AWE64 drivers.

The only time I've came across problems with DOS versions is using the dos driver installation for Creative Sound cards. The Ensoniq Sound Cards are also sensitive to DOS versions too.

Right now I have a real dos box setup with Windows 98 over DOS 6.22, so whenever I feel like I need to go to DOS 6.22 I can just easily access the boot menu of 98 and convert the OS to 6.22 (I have mine setup to prompt the boot menu everytime).

Reply 10 of 11, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Win98SE have "Real DOS", yes. But this DOS _not_ fully compatible with _real_ DOS (6.22 in my case). A lot of games and progs don't want to run under DOS 7.0. Usually it can be solved with DOSBox (because it's _old_ games. Modern games feels good even under Win98 😀. But if you want so, I think, it have sense to install DOS 6.22 and Win98SE over it.

Alternatively, I think, it's possible to have DOS even without reinstalling Windows. You need system disk for DOS. From that you need four files: autoexec.bat, config.sys, command.com and io.sys (I am not sure about last one, maybe it's only three files?). All this file must be renamed to *.dos (autoexec.dos and so on) and put into c: root. Additionaly, it must be set string "bootmulti=1" in the file msdos.---. After that you must see option "MS-DOS" in loader menu and DOS must load if you select it. 😀