VOGONS

First post, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good morning guys, I appear to be experiencing either incredibly poor performance (or worse, the card isn't being used at all) with my Diamond Monster 4MB card.

I've been waiting for this card to arrive for a while, and put it into my (already configured and working) Windows 98SE Socket 7 machine:

Asus SP97-V
AMD K6-2 300
96MB (2x32MB, 2x16MB) 60ns EDO
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro (S3 ViRGE/DX) 4MB
Diamond Monster 3D (3DFX Voodoo 1) 4MB
Labway A151-A00 Yamaha OPL3-SAX with Dreamblaster X2 daughterboard
StarTech CF2IDE (8GB Lexar card)
24x CD-ROM Drive
8x DVD-RW Drive
GoTek

Now this machine has been playing DOS and 9x games with excellent MIDI sounds (Monkey Island series, Doom/II, Duke Nukem 3D, etc) without issue, and I had installed Quake (along with GLQuake and WinQuake) to test. WinQuake works, but is a bit slow at anything other than 320x200x16 (to be expected, software rendering isn't going to be the quickest), and GLQuake (with just the ViRGE/DX) was abysmal (again to be expected).

So the Voodoo gets slotted in, Windows (98SE) detects the card and installs some base drivers for it automatically. I then proceeded to install the latest reference drivers, as well as copy GLIDE2X.DLL to the Quake directory.

Fired up GLQuake and... slideshow. 1-2FPS at most at 640x480x16, and dropping to 320x200x16 gets me what must be an increase to 5fps (not bothered to timedemo it as, well it'll be painful).

I must be missing something, but I don't know what? I essentially followed the same procedure for my Slot 1 PC (Abit BH6, 850MHz/100fsb P3, 256MB PC100, Rage 128 Pro) that has my SLI Voodoo 2s in it and that went great, getting a very playable 128fps at 640x480.

Have I missed something obvious, can I even be certain that the card is kicking in at all (it's hard to tell, there's no 3DFX splash screen for example, and the performance isn't exactly night and day from what I was getting with the S3 ViRGE/DX alone), I've got the Diamond Stealth drivers to try, but I feel that it should be working with the reference drivers... shouldn't it?

Any comments welcome 😀

Reply 1 of 14, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3dfx Voodoo1-Cards are working up to 366/400 Mhz (depends on the machine) above that you will likely get in trouble with D3D on Voodoo1. Glide seems to be fine.
I always use 512x384 or 640x400 if possible on voodoo1 because it's MUCH! faster than 640x480! I reccomend 512x384 though on EIZO L367 because no vertical lines with that resolution on L367 TFT. Beside that, I always use Pentium 1/2 even for a voodoo1. AMD Kx do perform bad on floating-point and therefore bad in 3D. There are some patches that fix that. (3Dnow drivers etc.).

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 3 of 14, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make sure you have the right drivers for the diamond monster maybe test other 3dfx/glide games, also make sure quake is updated to latest version I've had older versions installed from disc have issues as the build is quite old. I don't think Quake plays the 3dfx splash screen when launching but it's been a while so i could be wrong there. It's also worthwhile checking the pins on the 3dfx chips to see if there's any bridged / shorting this can cause weird problems.

Reply 4 of 14, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks both. The card is physically in great condition:

voodoo1-1.jpg

I'm running GLQuake 0.97 / WinQuake 1.09 / Quake 1.08. The same release I have on my Voodoo II SLI machine.

I'll have to install some other Glide games to test. FWIW, hardware accel is ticked in the driver and the 3DFX logo on the display panel is spinning away nicely.

Reply 5 of 14, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps you have a voodoo2-glide drivers (or third-party-ones) in your copy of quake.
I think you should install the minigl-drivers for the voodoo1 in the quake directory.

Reply 6 of 14, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm. I've installed the 1.47 MiniGL and that appears to have made Glide games render a solid yellow screen and a system hang. Tried GLquake and Quake II, both yellow-screen and hang when either launching GLQuake or switching to 3DFX OpenGL in Quake 2. 🙁

Not looking good.

Reply 7 of 14, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2020-07-13, 08:17:

Hmm. I've installed the 1.47 MiniGL and that appears to have made Glide games render a solid yellow screen and a system hang. Tried GLquake and Quake II, both yellow-screen and hang when either launching GLQuake or switching to 3DFX OpenGL in Quake 2. 🙁

Not looking good.

Try the 1.46 minigl driver, The card may be faulty do you have another system you can try the card in, maybe with a fresh windows install?

Reply 8 of 14, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess I could rip apart the Slot-1 P3 machine and install a fresh copy of 98SE on it.

I'm currently trying the existing Asus SP97-V machine, but without the S3 ViRGE/DX and instead using the on-board SIS 5598 VGA that was previously disabled in the BIOS.

Reply 9 of 14, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, progress. The SIS 5598 and Voodoo 1 combination appears to work. I'm stuck at resolutions and/or refresh rates that my LCD wasn't happy with so had to drag out an old Olivetti 14" CRT to test with, but both GLQuake and Quake 2 now run, not particularly smoothly, even at the lower resolutions, but I think now this is a combination of a mix of installed drivers and the minigl versions in play. The card however doesn't artifact or crash, so on that front we're golden 😀

I'll try a couple of other VGA cards I have lying around.

Reply 12 of 14, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you're welcome 😀

If you have a diamond with fast ram than you can use this autoexec.bat:
-------------------------
@SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1
@SET SST_FASTMEM=1
@SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=75
@SET SST_RGAMMA=1.25
@SET SST_GGAMMA=1.25
@SET SST_BGAMMA=1.25
@SET BUILD_512X384=1
@SET BUILD_GAMMA=1.25

I always put heatsinks on the 3dfx-chips!
Beside that I do not recommend changing the clock-speed!

I recommend 75hz because than you will likely have a centered screen on TFT using 3dfx and onboard-vid on same resolution.
using 60hz I don't get 640x480 exactly the same between onboard/3dfx.

Reply 13 of 14, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-07-13, 16:45:
you're welcome :) […]
Show full quote

you're welcome 😀

If you have a diamond with fast ram than you can use this autoexec.bat:
@SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1
@SET SST_FASTMEM=1
@SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=75
@SET SST_RGAMMA=1.25
@SET SST_GGAMMA=1.25
@SET SST_BGAMMA=1.25
@SET BUILD_512X384=1
@SET BUILD_GAMMA=1.25

I always put heatsinks on the 3dfx-chips!
Beside that I do not recommend changing the clock-speed!

I recommend 75hz because than you will likely have a centered screen on TFT using 3dfx and onboard-vid on same resolution.
using 60hz I don't get 640x480 exactly the same between onboard/3dfx.

I do have a Diamond, but what NS would be “fast” for a V1?

Both main 3dfx chips had heatsinks applied before I installed the card 😀

I’ll try the recommended settings and report back!

Reply 14 of 14, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry missleading...these settings do work with every diamond. the ones with a faster ram could perhaps be clocked higher than 50mhz.
don't forget that FASTPCI und FASTMEM already tweaking the speed. Clocking the card higher does not result in much more frames, so
I recomend these settings above.