VOGONS

First post, by Mr-b0jangles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,
I have a PC with an integrated ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP and I am not getting any compatibility with OpenGL games. The drivers from the amd website have been installed and this card supposedly supports OpenGL 1.1. I have done quite a bit of research at this point and cannot figure it out. I have the most recent release of Win98, I have the unofficial service pack installed. I don't have any 3DFX GL files that would interfere with anything. When I go to the advanced video settings I don't have any tabs for OpenGL or Direct3D and the dxdiag says no acceleration available for Direct3d. However, the Direct3D test did display the spinning cube. Has anybody had any experience with this card or this issue? Is there something with the integrated card vs the stand-alone AGP card that would make this card not able to use OpenGL? My motherboard only has PCI and ISA slots and I was able to use OpenGL and Direct3D fine with an Nvidia TNT Riva PCI card (however the performance in games in software rendering was worse than that of the ATI card, which is why I want to use the ATI card... PCI vs AGP). So I really feel like either for some reason the ATI card doesn't support OpenGL or the drivers I am using aren't providing the necessary files to support it. HELP!

Reply 3 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's motherboard-integrated, you may need drivers from your motherboard manufacturer rather than from AMD. Do you see the device in Device Manager at all?

In any case, the ATI Rage Pro Turbo really isn't good for much.

however the performance in games in software rendering was worse than that of the ATI card, which is why I want to use the ATI card... PCI vs AGP

This is not clear. When you say it was "worse than that of the ATI card", how did you get the ATI card to work?

Reply 4 of 10, by Mr-b0jangles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ATI card works. It is recognized in device manager and the drivers from AMD’s website installed correctly. I can play games in software mode just fine with the ATI card but cannot get any games to run in OpenGL. At one point I had also tested the performance of the PCI card but found that it was worse in software mode than the ATI card. This is not a matter of getting the card to work, period. It does work and the ATI drivers are installed correctly. But for whatever reason, I am not getting any OpenGL or Direct3D functionality from the card. I obviously know the Rage Pro Turbo isn’t a world beater but it’s my only option for an AGP card, as my motherboard doesn’t have any open AGP slots. And the Riva TNT is my only PCI card and it appears to run worse than the ATI card.

Reply 5 of 10, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you dont have 3D options in the advanced display settings then I dont think the drivers are installed correctly. Try to reinstall using the device manager.

You might also try something like the 5.40 driver, I believe that is the one I use (cant remember why though).

Reply 6 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is your motherboard, exactly?

Mr-b0jangles wrote on 2020-01-31, 22:27:

I can play games in software mode just fine with the ATI card but cannot get any games to run in OpenGL. At one point I had also tested the performance of the PCI card but found that it was worse in software mode than the ATI card.

What are you using to test the performance? If they are running in "software mode" then the hardware shouldn't make any difference.

Reply 7 of 10, by Mr-b0jangles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used fraps and the frames per second were worse with the PCI card. There was also weird stuttering and such with the PCI card. I’m not sure what motherboard it is exactly but I believe the chipset is 440BX. The computer I’m using is a Dell Dimension V350

http://www.computer-specifications.com/specif … V350-Specs.html

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used fraps

But you're using Fraps when you're running a particular game, right? So what are you running?

It looks like there might be a driver available at https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-Gener … er/td-p/2037189 , but it requires a login.

Reply 10 of 10, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have this card (onboard AGP 2X version) and it does have OpenGL and Direct3D support. You can get the driver from Phil's page (it's also for Windows 98 despite the name), the one from ATI never worked for me:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 5-30-1-b02.html

It's an ok card I guess... on my K6-2 450 I can run GLQuake at 25fps average (35 if I disable bilinear filtering using Powerstrip, but then every OpenGL game will look blocky). Some other games I'm able to run with it are:

Quake 1@640x480(25 fps average as already mentioned)
Quake 2@ 640x480, 22fps average
Tomb Raider 2@640x480, steady 30 fps
Tomb Raider 3@640x480x16, steady 30 fps
Need for Speed 3@640x480, runs ok (between 15~30 fps I guess)
Outlaws@640x480 with D3D patch (I think it runs around 30 fps as well)

Basically it runs any game released until 1997 and some from 1998.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD