VOGONS

First post, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I booted up the 256 version of MI1 in dosbox and set it to EGA. It "worked" but the graphics are all weird and there is obvious corruption all over the place.

Is this expected because it just shouldn't work at all, or maybe is it just dosbox that is having trouble with the EGA dithering in 640x200 mode or something?

Anyone here know?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 7, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-07-15, 05:01:

A screenshot of what you're calling "obvious corruption" would be helpful to ensure it's not just criticism of LucasArt's lo-res 256-color to hi-res 16-color dithering.

hahaha. okay. gimmie a minute.

OUOtPqY.png

Reply 4 of 7, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks perfectly fine to me. The 640x200 mode is pretty slow actually and playing the true EGA version of MI1 is I think preferable.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 7, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. Thanks. I was afraid of that. I have an original copy of the EGA version I got when it came out, but the disks are FUBAR. RN, the only copies I have are the two CD versions (OG & Monkey Madness) and the LA classics VGA version.

Is there anyway for me to play the correct EGA version?

Thanks

Reply 6 of 7, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure you could find a disk image somewhere on the web to replace your damaged EGA disk. It would be legal to do so since you own a real copy anyway

PS are you the same guy from shmups with the plastic tiger PFP? welcome 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-15, 15:13:

I'm sure you could find a disk image somewhere on the web to replace your damaged EGA disk. It would be legal to do so since you own a real copy anyway

PS are you the same guy from shmups with the plastic tiger PFP? welcome 😁

Hi MRT,

Yes! I actually had a "vol.2" account on Vogons that is much older than this one, but I forgot what email it's tied to (I think it's an email I don't have anymore) and I just gave it up for dead a long time ago.

Thanks for the welcome. 😀