VOGONS

First post, by brettp11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Building a DOS retro PC and it’s been a minute since I’ve messed with computer hardware. I purchased two retro cases and they have two different power supplies (pictured). I was just wondering if both PSU’s will be fine to hookup to my motherboard (QDI v4p895grn)? They seem to have different output amps and I have no idea if that matters? I don’t want to fry my board. The DTK PSU has a switch to toggle between 115V and 230V. The other PSU has no such switch. I live in the United States.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DTK should be the better of the two, but ypu should pop them open and take pics then dump them on the big PSU thread to get some feedback. "A Tale of Two PSU's" iirc.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote on 2020-07-17, 04:02:

The DTK should be the better of the two, but ypu should pop them open and take pics then dump them on the big PSU thread to get some feedback. "A Tale of Two PSU's" iirc.

That is a good idea, but even if you don't go that far, you should at least check visually for bad/leaky/bulging capacitors and also if you see any of these RIFA capacitors, even if they look OK, replace them on sight . See https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/old-rifa-c … disaster-story/