VOGONS

First post, by Czapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello,
on my Pentium 166 mmx machine i was using ps/2 keyboard with ps/2 to din adapter without any issues. Today i received din keyboard which is superb however i noticed one problem. I cannot use combination of left + up arrow and enter or down + left and enter on the numeric keyboard. Is it normal? I'm pretty sure that these combinations were working on the ps/2 keyboard.

Reply 1 of 3, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a design flaw in the keyboard matrix, so the problem is the keyboard itself, not the connector. Try to find a DIN keyboard with "multi key rollover" or "n-key rollover" or just go back to your ps/2 keyboard.

Reply 3 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most keyboards (there are expensive exceptions) start getting problems with three keys pressed at once. The art of keyboard design is laying out the matrix in a way, that the combinations of three keys that are troublesome are combinations that do not occur in practical use. Obviously the artist that layed out your DIN keyboard considered the combinations you posted as irrelevant combinations. Your DIN keyboard might actually support other three-key-combinations that would cause trouble on the PS/2 keyboard you used earlier.

The first DIN keyboard I used as child was a no-name keyboard sold by a German PC discounter. It hat the imprint "Keyboard of excellent quality and smart design" on the box. Me and my younger brother playing PC games managed to damage the cursor left key in less than one year. So much for "excellent quality". When I pulled out that keyboard (with the non-functional cursor left key) years later because I needed it for a secondary Linux box, I found out that the matrix does not support the combination "Ctrl+Alt+F3". So much for "smart design".