VOGONS

First post, by manczyslaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i already have tried everything but i can't flash my voodoo 3 2000. I Keep getting this message every time, every version i tried. Windows sees the card but there is no picture, i tried with a pci vga so i could see it works. Someone?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the V3 works as a secondary GPU (for extended desktop for example) when you have primary PCI card?
Could be defective BIOS chip, it happened on my Banshee and the card showed similar symptoms. In the end I removed the bios chip, soldered PLCC socket, inserted new flash memory chip (compatible with the 3dfx flashing tool), flashed the bios... and Banshee is working again.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 3 of 4, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I have a list, I'll check that when I get home. Also it is possible not officially supported flash memory would work too (as long as it is the same size, voltage, etc)... but in that case you would have to flash it externally, not on the Voodoo3 itself.

Edit:

Here it is, I have no idea if it is complete, just found the list in my notes.

Atmel: 29010, 49F010, 49BV512, 29LV512
SST: 29LE512, 29EE010, 39SF010, 39VF512
AMD: 29010

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 4, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve got two dead v3 2000s that both died as a result of a bad BIOS flash.

No amount of removing the chip and flashing using my Minipro brings them back from the dead unfortunately.

I’d love to know why this is the case, and why so many have this apparently common problem with BIOS flashing.