VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 35140 of 52692, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won this Toshiba 486 laptop, a T4800CT 640x480 TFT Color display, Windows Sound System, 486 DX4-SL 75MHz with 16KB L1 cache, floppy drive (will inspect that drive to make sure it works and repair it in case the belt snapped), and 500MB HDD.

laptop-functional.jpg
Filename
laptop-functional.jpg
File size
259.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 35141 of 52692, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-07-17, 20:47:

I guess that's a good one to follow up with this ^^

got another EPSON SD-800 and a Tandon 8" Floppy drive :3
hardware39_32.jpg

You don't see these very often! What kind of system do you have that supports 8" floppies?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 35142 of 52692, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my 486 I didn't get the Diamond Stealth 64 Video Vram to work. Well, guess I've got some new testing on my hand. Received this CDROM today, and it's supposed to contain the correct drivers.

CameraZOOM-20200718110357875.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20200718110357875.jpg
File size
188.67 KiB
Views
File license

When I get to testing I'll put the contents on my Dropbox and post on the Vogonsdrivers thread.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 35143 of 52692, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote on 2020-07-18, 05:43:

If that SIIG Mini is from eBay, I had it bookmarked before it sold. 😀

I've been looking at one of those keyboard( Small and beige! ) for my Raspberry Pi. I have a USB to PS2 adapter which works from my testing.

It is. It was only up for sale for about 45min before I grabbed it.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 35144 of 52692, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote on 2020-07-18, 06:52:
imi wrote on 2020-07-17, 20:47:

I guess that's a good one to follow up with this ^^

got another EPSON SD-800 and a Tandon 8" Floppy drive :3
hardware39_32.jpg

You don't see these very often! What kind of system do you have that supports 8" floppies?

I've been looking to get one for quite a while now, and it's the first time I saw one pop up for a reasonable price, still have an old 8" floppy here from my dad I'd like to know what, if anything, is still on there ^^
and I'm just interested in all kinds of drives in general.

been reading up on them for a bit now, and this Tandon TM848-1 seems to be a relatively "modern" 8" floppy drive if you can even call them that ^^ (the manual is dated '81)
it uses a shugart interface, so should be compatible with most floppy controllers anyways, just needs to be adapted and a 24V power source.
http://classiccmp.org/dunfield/img47321/cnct.htm

I don't know if it works yet, it needs a new drive belt in any case before I can try, but seems to be in very good condition visually otherwise.

but I also got another drive at the same time, a Mitsubishi M2896-63-02M from '86 which is direct drive, so no worries about drive belts and should be able to do double sided.
still waiting for that one to arrive.

I hope to get at least one of them if not both to work 😀
the Mitsubishi also includes a 50pin to 34pin adapter already that's hopefully going to make things easier.

I'd still want to get my hands on a full height drive some time though eventually.

Reply 35146 of 52692, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Swiego wrote on 2020-07-17, 20:17:
I somewhat ironically received both of these today: […]
Show full quote

I somewhat ironically received both of these today:

IMG_4393.jpeg

On the left is a Seagate 80MB ST-4096 drive. Haven't tested it fully yet, but I can say that it shakes the entire table when the head actuators move.

On the right is a Seagate Exos x16 16TB He-filled data center drive. Sustained transfer rate is up to three ST-4096s per second.

Amazing to think about the capacity difference! It's funny how comparatively small the transfer rate improvement is though.

You're probably looking at least 20 hours of solid maxed out writing on the 16TB drive... Likely much longer (days) with real world data and lots of little files.

Compare that to the 80MB drive. Docs anyone online estimate .625MB/sec transfer rate max. If that's even remotely close you're only looking at 2-3 minutes to fill the drive. Even if it gets over tenth of the advertised speed, 20-30 minutes to fill a top of the line drive versus 20+ hours is amazing. Also, I guess that drive was $750 back in 1988... that's like spending $1600 on a hard drive in 2020. Maybe it'd be better to compare it to some insane enterprise level SSD?

Thanks for sharing!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 35147 of 52692, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-07-18, 03:00:
Brand new Siig Minitouch PS/2 arrived. I also have some custom blue arrow keys on the way for it. :) […]
Show full quote

Brand new Siig Minitouch PS/2 arrived. I also have some custom blue arrow keys on the way for it. 😀

H6mwfLa.jpg

Nice ! Super clean looking. I found a Chicony KB-2961 beige PS/2- AT compatible at a SA store earlier this week for $3 so had to grab it, not a swtch type but rubber domed, still a good working KB.

Attachments

• IMG_1228s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1228s.jpg
    File size
    211.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 35148 of 52692, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-07-18, 17:35:
Amazing to think about the capacity difference! It's funny how comparatively small the transfer rate improvement is though. […]
Show full quote

Amazing to think about the capacity difference! It's funny how comparatively small the transfer rate improvement is though.

You're probably looking at least 20 hours of solid maxed out writing on the 16TB drive... Likely much longer (days) with real world data and lots of little files.

Compare that to the 80MB drive. Docs anyone online estimate .625MB/sec transfer rate max. If that's even remotely close you're only looking at 2-3 minutes to fill the drive. Even if it gets over tenth of the advertised speed, 20-30 minutes to fill a top of the line drive versus 20+ hours is amazing. Also, I guess that drive was $750 back in 1988... that's like spending $1600 on a hard drive in 2020. Maybe it'd be better to compare it to some insane enterprise level SSD?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! You are absolutely correct, it's striking how storage read/write performance has not kept up with capacity. When I play with these old MFM drives, it only takes a few minutes to fill them up. Even something as intensive as a level 5 Spinrite session takes a couple of hours at most. Fast forward to today, just doing one bulk physical read pass of the 16TB took just shy of 19 hours (good guess!). I have eight of these I'm burning in before building a new storage server, and I expect it'll take until next weekend before it's done.

I suppose the trend has corrected in the last couple of years. My main desktop has a 2TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD which has a bulk transfer rate around 5GB/sec; ratio wise I suppose that's in line with the early days of desktop hard disk storage so perhaps we're back to where we began.

Reply 35149 of 52692, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this S3 Trio64V+ for 5 EUR today.

S3.jpg
Filename
S3.jpg
File size
668.86 KiB
Views
File license

Anyone know what the J4 and J7 jumpers are for?

Also, random observation: lower refresh rates (e.g. 640x480 @ 60 Hz) somehow feel less flickery on a CRT with this card than with more modern cards like a GeForce4 Ti4200.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 35150 of 52692, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-07-04, 19:52:
Horun wrote on 2020-07-04, 03:16:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-07-04, 03:01:

Nice and super clean ! Is that one with those hybrid plastic+metal liner case tops ? Have seen those before on Unisys and some other older good OEM computers. Internally very good, only quirk is some occasional patina (yellowing) on the lid that does not match the front, but yours looks great.

Thanks. Yes very similar in design to my AcerAcross system but full AT. The yellowing will be easy enough to remove.

Got did of the yellowing by using suger soap, a mild cleaning abrasive called "Jif" and a mild nylon souring pad(scotch brite). Removed some of the scratches as well.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 35151 of 52692, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Won this motherboard on ebay the other day although I am having trouble finding its ID.

Only found 1 listing online which referenced a bowling machine.

Lucky it seems the jumper settings are all on the board.

Lets hope it didnt mind being on what looks like a throw or carpet.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (61).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (61).jpg
    File size
    529.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 35152 of 52692, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-19, 10:02:
Got this S3 Trio64V+ for 5 EUR today. […]
Show full quote

Got this S3 Trio64V+ for 5 EUR today.

S3.jpg

Anyone know what the J4 and J7 jumpers are for?
(...)

Those are always nice to have in stock 😀
My guess for the jumpers is to set pal/ntsc. Maybe also to set is the memory sockets are filled.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 35153 of 52692, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-07-19, 11:29:
Won this motherboard on ebay the other day although I am having trouble finding its ID. […]
Show full quote

Won this motherboard on ebay the other day although I am having trouble finding its ID.

I think it's a PCChips m912

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 35154 of 52692, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2020-07-18, 14:33:

Picked up a Leadtek Winfast A250 Ultra. Didn't have the Full cooler like the original. I also had a Passive Zalman Cooler BNIB so i proceeded to fit that.

Now it looks just like mine!
The original cooler on mine was failing, so I sent it in for replacement and they sent me a cooler similar to yours, after which I also decided to get this Zalman cooler. That was several years ago.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 35155 of 52692, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-07-19, 12:18:
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-07-19, 11:29:
Won this motherboard on ebay the other day although I am having trouble finding its ID. […]
Show full quote

I think it's a PCChips m912

Thanks, spot on that I think!

Looks like I have real cache and not the fake cache one.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 35156 of 52692, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, as promised earlier, here are my recent purchases. Usually I don't care too much about stuff being new in box, but I wanted some optical drives that would actually work so I decided to get some NOS ones. For the Sidewinder I preferred a NOS one because I can be sure it's not worn out, and the sealed copy of FS2000 was a welcome addition to the Sidewinder.

20200719_164611.jpg
Filename
20200719_164611.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File comment
Latest purchases
File license

My retro computers

Reply 35157 of 52692, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased a Compaq Armada 7792DMT laptop the other week. It was listed as spare/not working but the picture showed it powered on to Windows 95 and it was very reasonable priced. The laptop arrived today and overall its a really nice example, although its going to be a project as not everything is right with it.

Specs, its a Pentium 266MMX (Tillamook), 64mb Ram (16,16,32), S3 Aurora64+ Graphics, ESS Sound, 5 Gig Hard Disk, FDD Drive, Windows 95. The issues with it are, It doesn't include the CD-ROM drive, The battery is present but completely shot. The FDD Fails to read disks.

I would like to get the FDD Working again so will try and inspect it and see why it doesn't read disks. Its will seek at boot and will start to spin when the disk is inserted but just won't read. I need to find the CD-ROM module. I think this is going to take a while but my search begins. Are batteries still available for these units? It's the original battery that's installed. Is it possible to rebuild these with new cells?

Does anyone know if there is a repository or where i could get the SoftPaqs for this laptop? I'd like to try and get the install fresh but using the compaq image. Any help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much experience when it comes to Laptops of this era. I think it will certainly make a nice retro laptop for some dos gaming.

WhmpqBhl.jpg
GsG1kIYl.jpg
59qaUAAl.jpg

Reply 35158 of 52692, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was able to find the softpaq for my Presario 4402 off of archive.org they had quite the selection of them. For the floppy drive hopefully it's just dirty heads or a worn belt

Reply 35159 of 52692, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had happily bought a very cheap ASUS PVI-486SP3 PCI/VLB Socket 3 motherboard, but once I received it I noticed something that I hadn't when looking at the item's potato photos, a burnt pin on the CPU socket. So tell me Vogons, does this mean there is no hope for this board? Could it be just the plastc that's burnt? Would a socket change be in order? Or would it be a lost cause regardless?

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.