VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Browsing adventure games on mobys by year shows they not only never died out but aside from a dip here and there, steadily grew year after year to the largest number of releases there has ever been, you'd never realize that from focus all being on the select few genres like fps and third person doll like action games. There are so many you wouldn't be able to go through them all even if all you ever played were adventure games. Gives that stuck in a bubble feeling not seeing everything. That glitch in the matrix moment compelled me to comment.

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah.. there are a ton of them out there. Two of the better / newer ones are:
A Tale of Two Brothers - you need a dual-analog stick gamepad to play this properly as you control two characters at the same time.
A Boy and His Blob

There are a ton of really good adventure games out there.
One of the older Windows ones that was quite fun is - Woodruff and the Shnibble of Azimuth

The question is.. how many on the MobyGames list are actually good games?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awgamer wrote on 2020-07-24, 15:28:

At the bottom of moby's page they have a top(20) games in their stats section of critic and (moby)user scores. Can sort by genre or year for a platform, but not genre & year together unfortunately.

I always take scores like that with a huge grain of salt. Sometimes the games that get horrible critic reviews are some of the best. Seems to me like they get paid by game companies to give games high marks and/or get paid by companies to give competitors' games low marks.

User scores are usually better though.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are tons of adventure games these days. Thimbleweed Park just came out not so long ago – a product from Ron Gilbert himself, one of the people who worked on Maniac Mansion. We even just got Beyond a Steel Sky, the long-awaited sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky. And the various projects by Wadjet Eye, like Unavowed, are quite popular – I think they all use the popular free Adventure Game Studio.

Reply 6 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adventure games are no longer king the way they were in the '80s and early '90s. They do not get top shelf budgets like they used to, so graphics and animation may be sub par by today's standards, but are still very much around, even if mostly done by indies.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote on 2020-07-24, 17:49:

Adventure games are no longer king the way they were in the '80s and early '90s. They do not get top shelf budgets like they used to, so graphics and animation may be sub par by today's standards, but are still very much around, even if mostly done by indies.

And to top it off, most of the indie games I have played are more fun to play than most of the AAA titles.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK