VOGONS

First post, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, I am the proud owner of 3 socket 423 motherboards. I really can't explain how this came about it just sort of happened. Anyway 2 of the boards are intel and one is a gateway oem board. They each have a different willamette cpu.. a 1.7 , a 1.8 and a 1.9. All the boards work very well but the weird thing is they only work with the cpu that is currently installed. When I try to switch up the processors between the boards I get no boot. Everything fires up but I get no video. I am not sure of the bios versions on these boards and don't see any kind of jumpers to play with but should it matter? I kind of thought that there would not be any difference between one cpu or the other. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be interested to hear them--thanks

Reply 3 of 8, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I was hoping for some help with troubleshooting this problem. I did clear the cmos to see if it would somehow find the cpu but no luck. But what else is there to try? I mean take the 1.9 processor for instance, it works fine in it's original board but the two other boards refuse to boot with it installed. Kolderman, thanks for the idea of changing video cards, it honestly didn't occur to me. Thats the kind of ideas I was looking for.

Reply 4 of 8, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've reset the cmos on both boards that have the lower clocked processors. I have tried several different AGP video cards plus a couple of PCI cards. I have switched around several different RDRAM combinations and tried a couple of different power supplies. The 1.9 cpu refuses to boot in any board except it's original Intel motherboard. I still need to explore the bios version differences but even if the board didn't recognize the cpu shouldn't it still boot? Anybody have any idea of what else I can try? I did get the 1.7 chip to work in the 1.9's original board so the problem seems to be with the 1.9 cpu, the other boards just don't like it for some reason.

Reply 5 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look here : https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Pentiu … 31PC037G0K.html

I don't know why but they state that the upgrade chance to the 1.9ghz version is 35%. That's pretty low and I guess it means that a lot of boards need a bios update to get it to work (newer stepping etc?)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe it would help if we knew exactly the three relevant parameters:

- which boards and revisions
- which BIOS versions are running on them
- which P4 steppings do you have (S-Spec is fine if you don't know the exact stepping)

There were 4 steppings of Willamette, and it's entirely possible that a lower-clocked CPU is in fact newer than a higher-clocked one. However all things being the same the 1.9 is most likely to be the newest, and if that means a stepping unknown to the other BIOS, the mystery might be solved. The fact you're using OEM boards doesn't help - Intel in particular tended to make its boards not boot if an unknown CPU was detected.

Reply 7 of 8, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks for all the help and suggestions. from everyone. Meljor thanks for the link . I have found some other old posts mainly from Dell support sight that upgrading to the willamette 1.9 was problematic. Strangely enough Dell was recommending either the 1.8 or 2.0 as being compatible upgrades but not 1.9 . I am going to explore bios updates for these boards when time permits but will probably just use them as is for the time being. Can't believe there is much difference between the 3 cpu's anyway. Just found this kind of strange.

Reply 8 of 8, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well some of the comments on here led me to try a bios update---looking at you dionb thank you--and after moving to P14 bios the 1.9 is working well on all boards. It's good to have other people give input when you are stumped. problem solved