Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2080 of 5932, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last game I played recently was "Black Paradox" from Steam.
I need to get that game working with a Genesis controller. I don't like playing 2D games with an XBox 360 controller.
It feels like it has a lot of input lag. I don't know if that's the game, my monitor, or the wireless 360 controller.

I'm sort of getting better at it, but I don't think I like randomization in a scrolling shooter. For games in this genre I like being able to learn the levels and start to memorize them.
I do like the ability to gradually "level up" with the points you accumulate though.

Reply 2081 of 5932, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Incredible game called "The Shore" is currently in development and is looking for backers. I am usually not into horror games, but this is just oozing with atmosphere. Still getting through the early alpha demo. Choose the third download link as the other two seem to be having trouble. It's a big file at almost 13GB, but well worth it IMO.

Reply 2082 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

17 hours into Pillars of Eternity, it really feels a lot like Baldur's Gate 1, ie. it has a lot of potential but the storytelling is rough. POE2 could have been a great game, but apparently it's not as good, which is a shame.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2083 of 5932, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played a bit of FIFA Road To World Cup 98 and FIFA 99. Just two matches, Spain 2-0 Netherlands and Vasco da Gama 3-0 Liverpool... OFC I won both and I finally managed to score a header, like I used to do when I played it as a kid decades ago. Oh, how I overused that kind of strategy many times with my friends. Fullback down the flank, a cross to the second post, a header and a goal.

Now I lose to my friends when I have to play the modern day FIFA versions. The new versions are just completely unplayable for me, zero fun.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 2084 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can't play the modern football games like a 90s FIFA.. In some ways they kind of killed the fun of it by turning way too much into a simulation and by having too much emphasis on things like ball control, dribbling and realistic ball physics. I love football but you have to admit 85% of a ball game is actually incredibly boring setup play, and if you turn your game into that it stops being fun.

Reply 2085 of 5932, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently replayed Tyrian using AWE32 music this time around.

While I normally prefer FM synth here, since that's what Tyrian's music was originally designed for, I found that the AWE32 version sounds surprisingly nice. Not sure if they made some special optimizations for the EMU8K chip, or because electronic music tends to sound good on it in general, but I really liked it. Here's a sample.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2086 of 5932, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-28, 09:08:

You can't play the modern football games like a 90s FIFA.. In some ways they kind of killed the fun of it by turning way too much into a simulation and by having too much emphasis on things like ball control, dribbling and realistic ball physics. I love football but you have to admit 85% of a ball game is actually incredibly boring setup play, and if you turn your game into that it stops being fun.

Yeah. Not only FIFA games are done this way actually. Racing games are also getting worse. Codemasters F1 series after 2010 version, more precisely 2018 and beyond, have a level of complications to be even competitive. As a pure old school racer myself, I do not accept the fact that you have to mess with engine maps, fuel mixtures, brake balance and other stuff with the gazillions of buttons in your steering wheel while you drive. IMO thats your engineers work not the driver.

For other old racing games I actually enjoy doing testing sessions and doing some car setup work “in the garage”. But seeing modern F1 drivers receive a lot of “driver coaching” in radio to change the car settings while driving? No thanks but no thanks. This isn’t pure racing to me. And to succeed in F1 2019 game you have to do that if you wanna win. Too much complications for me, I just wanna drive and go flat out Ayrton Senna style. When I was a kid I used to do hotlaps and car setup work to find out the fastest possible laptimes around tracks like Monaco. Now its “G5, push the button for 5 seconds, please change to Scenario 7 asap”. My god.

They not only killed football games, but also racing games. And this is why I’m back to old games now.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 2087 of 5932, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-28, 14:48:
Yeah. Not only FIFA games are done this way actually. Racing games are also getting worse. Codemasters F1 series after 2010 vers […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-28, 09:08:

Yeah. Not only FIFA games are done this way actually. Racing games are also getting worse. Codemasters F1 series after 2010 version, more precisely 2018 and beyond, have a level of complications to be even competitive. As a pure old school racer myself, I do not accept the fact that you have to mess with engine maps, fuel mixtures, brake balance and other stuff with the gazillions of buttons in your steering wheel while you drive. IMO thats your engineers work not the driver.

For other old racing games I actually enjoy doing testing sessions and doing some car setup work “in the garage”. But seeing modern F1 drivers receive a lot of “driver coaching” in radio to change the car settings while driving? No thanks but no thanks. This isn’t pure racing to me. And to succeed in F1 2019 game you have to do that if you wanna win. Too much complications for me, I just wanna drive and go flat out Ayrton Senna style. When I was a kid I used to do hotlaps and car setup work to find out the fastest possible laptimes around tracks like Monaco. Now its “G5, push the button for 5 seconds, please change to Scenario 7 asap”. My god.

They not only killed football games, but also racing games. And this is why I’m back to old games now.

That's what made some games really hard back then. Indianapolis 500 was an example. During a race you could change rear and front suspension stiffness and turbo pressure, all without much technical details, but not paying attention to the last could make you go slower than you should or overheat your engine as well as lead to more fuel consumption.

Reply 2088 of 5932, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just did some classic racing tonight. Fired up my Windows 98 SE VM on my iPad, courtesy of UTMapp, started Grand Prix 3. I chose to drive the Williams Mecachrome at Silverstone. Qualified P5 and won the race. Nice memories from playing that game as a kid. And no need of these so called modern tricks like DRS or radio driver coaching.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 2089 of 5932, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This.

007-i-M1-A2-no-palette-corruption.jpg

For some unknown reasons, FXAA doesn't seem to work. Am I using the wrong version of DXGL?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2090 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just got a GOG alert telling me Ultimate Doom is 70% off so I bought it. Amazed I didn't already hav it? Now playing through Episode 1 for the millionth time and still loving it. 😁

Reply 2091 of 5932, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-08-04, 11:38:

I just got a GOG alert telling me Ultimate Doom is 70% off so I bought it. Amazed I didn't already hav it? Now playing through Episode 1 for the millionth time and still loving it. 😁

What does it do for the music track if you just say run it a gog game on win10?

Reply 2092 of 5932, by GrumpyTomato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was playing Robin Hood: Conquests of the longbow for the zwillionth time (My optional ranty blabbings about it)

Now I'm playing the Talos Principle and good god do I love this game..
The_Talos_Principle.jpg

I am a grumpy tomato
Don't bother me

Reply 2093 of 5932, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GrumpyTomato wrote on 2020-08-04, 19:08:
I was playing Robin Hood: Conquests of the longbow for the zwillionth time (My optional ranty blabbings about it) […]
Show full quote

I was playing Robin Hood: Conquests of the longbow for the zwillionth time (My optional ranty blabbings about it)

The_Talos_Principle.jpg

I'm almost finished with it, and it's f****g amazing. OK the "story" is contrived and get's tired after a while, but the puzzles are amazing. Although I have been getting severe vertigo playing it lately, so I limit it to 10-15 minute sessions at most. I am motivated to go and play Portal/Portal2 now I know how much fun FPS puzzle games are.

Reply 2094 of 5932, by GrumpyTomato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-08-04, 19:24:
I was playing Robin Hood: Conquests of the longbow for the zwillionth time (My optional ranty blabbings about it) […]
Show full quote

The_Talos_Principle.jpg

I'm almost finished with it, and it's f****g amazing. OK the "story" is contrived and get's tired after a while, but the puzzles are amazing. Although I have been getting severe vertigo playing it lately, so I limit it to 10-15 minute sessions at most. I am motivated to go and play Portal/Portal2 now I know how much fun FPS puzzle games are.

Definitely going to be playing Portal 2 after I get through with Talos myself.. I'm enjoying the philosophical twists in the story though, especially trying to follow the oddities at every terminal (those terminals look like some kind of old commodore computer to me).. At least it's unique, never played a game that messed with my head as much as this.

Don't climb the tower!!!! (or do!)

I am a grumpy tomato
Don't bother me

Reply 2095 of 5932, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GrumpyTomato wrote on 2020-08-04, 19:30:
kolderman wrote on 2020-08-04, 19:24:
Show full quote

The_Talos_Principle.jpg

Definitely going to be playing Portal 2 after I get through with Talos myself.. I'm enjoying the philosophical twists in the story though, especially trying to follow the oddities at every terminal (those terminals look like some kind of old commodore computer to me).. At least it's unique, never played a game that messed with my head as much as this.

Don't climb the tower!!!! (or do!)

Portal is a shining work of art on why video games are an important cultural force. It is what I point to as the Citizen Kane of video games ,both literally and figuratively, as "Proof of value" in the gaming art form. It stands alone as the greatest game ever made so far in my book. Portal 2 is simply a great game. Please play the Portal 2 co-op campaign, it contains true interactive gameplay/narrative greatness, even more than the single player campaign.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2020-08-05, 01:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2097 of 5932, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Football Manager 2020. Managing the Vasco da Gama team in Brazilian league. Won state ch'ship, Brazilian cup and league. Currently I am re-playing the last three games of the season again and again to test and try some new tactics.

So far I've done the 4-3-2-1 used by Pep Guardiola's Barcelona between 2008-2011 and a 4-4-2 classic brazilian tactic that was used by my side Vasco da Gama between 1997 and 1999.

The first tatic is definitely a killer tactic with high possession rates. Too bad my false nine striker can't score for his life but thankfully my wingers can...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 2098 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Portal 2 here for some easy fun at the end of some tiring days - currently working from home full time and homeschooling the kids thanks to COVID. I was having a great time with this game but have past the point where the robots have their showdown and you fall into the retro 50's tests, which are less fun IMO. I might go back and play through Portal 1 again I remember enjoying that all the way through.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2099 of 5932, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-08-07, 13:05:

Portal 2 here for some easy fun at the end of some tiring days - currently working from home full time and homeschooling the kids thanks to COVID. I was having a great time with this game but have past the point where the robots have their showdown and you fall into the retro 50's tests, which are less fun IMO. I might go back and play through Portal 1 again I remember enjoying that all the way through.

I agree the original Portal is the better game, but Portal 2 has an amazing Co-Op campaign that should be played.