VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried unpacking and running UMID111.zip for the ULTRAMID.EXE, however uminstall doesn't want to run (outdated it says) and ULTRAMID is complaining that it's in the wrong dir, even if I copy it to c:\gravis\ultrasnd\midi. How do I get this beast to run?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 6, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once you have the main executable, it usually requires:

1. ULTRADIR environment variable (looks like it should be C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND for your installation).
  2. A set of .PAT files under \MIDI in your ULTRASND directory.
  3. ULTRAMID.INI in the same directory as the patch files.

Do you have all of those? What is the error message it is giving?

As an aside, later versions of Mega-Em can also provide ULTRAMID compatibility, but require EMM386.

Reply 3 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote on 2020-07-28, 07:11:
Once you have the main executable, it usually requires: […]
Show full quote

Once you have the main executable, it usually requires:

1. ULTRADIR environment variable (looks like it should be C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND for your installation).
  2. A set of .PAT files under \MIDI in your ULTRASND directory.
  3. ULTRAMID.INI in the same directory as the patch files.

Do you have all of those? What is the error message it is giving?

As an aside, later versions of Mega-Em can also provide ULTRAMID compatibility, but require EMM386.

Oh, 2. and 3. are missing. Where can I get those?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote on 2020-07-28, 11:35:

Are they not in here somewhere?

http://www.gravisultrasound.com/files.htm

Thanks, I will have a look. I didn't know that particular website. I found a few other archives, but they were all pretty chaotic.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 6 of 6, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The simplest way to get going should be to get the official GUS PnP driver CD from vogonsdrivers.com. In the SETUP directory, you will find SETRAM.EXE; run that to install the traditional GUS patch set. This usually belongs in \GRAVIS\ULTRASND\MIDI. Then, download and extract UMID112.ZIP. Place the executable in your \GRAVIS\ULTRASND directory and the INI file in GRAVIS\ULTRASND\MIDI. Once that is done, UltraMID should start without complaints.