VOGONS

The VOGONS Experience

Topic actions

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, my own experience, and from what I can tell the experience of any other average VOGONSer goes like this:

1. Become interested in a certain retro game or computer hardware
2. Find your way onto Vogons
3. Start reading up and accumulating information
4. Decide to do your own Retro Build: Start building a Socket 7 Pentium MMX PC
5. Start hunting for parts
6. Hunt for that elusive perfect ISA sound card
7. Drown in frustration as you find yourself short on experience/knowledge/hardware
8. Overcompensate by overspending on your build
9. Finish your build and immediately start looking for ways to enhance it
10. Go on the market for a 3dfx add on card and contribute to the inflation
11. Buy said 3dfx add on card
12. Decide your system is not fast enough: Start building a Slot-1 or Socket 370 PC
13. Build Slot-1 or Socket 370 PC
14. Discover it doesn't have the power to cover all your Win98 gaming
15. Start upgrading Slot-1 or Socket 370 PC
16. Hunt for that elusive perfect positional 3D PCI sound card
17. Decide you want something more exotic that can do both Win98 and real DOS: Start building a Super Socket 7 PC
18. Overspend on an AGP Socket 7 motherboard
19. Drown in furstration as you navigate SS7 AGP Hell and realize it was never worth it
20. Try many different configurations only to end up with the cookie cutter Voodoo 3 AGP build.
21. Ok, now you are the man. Time to build a real retro PC: Start building a 486
22. Start hunting for 486 hardware. Overpay because why not?
23. Buy 3 motherboards that turn out to be faulty before you get a fourth that works.
24. Rip your hair out as you slowly learn the quirks of this board and the drivers, because every board Pre-Socket7 has them in plenty.
25. Eventually get your 486 working only to figure out a slow 486 is still too fast for many early DOS games and a fast 486 is too slow for many late DOS games.
26. Of course, by this point you have been impulsively buying and hoarding retro PC hardware that you had no use for and likely will never use.. but who cares, you have 100 ISA sound cards!
27. By this point you are having serious issues with storing your junk without pissing off your S/O so you start selling off some things.
28. Start testing the stuff in your stash. Find out that the defect rate is basically 50%
29. Time to get serious: Invest into a soldering/repair kit. Overpay for something you will use maybe a few dozen times at most.
30. Start experimenting with repairing your faulty hardware. Kill a lot of cards and boards.
31. Manage to fix something, immediately make an order for a solder kit that's way out of your league.
32. By now you know 20x more about retro hardware than you have actually experienced first hand. You know the GUS models by heart without ever owning a GUS. You spend 4 hours a day typing posts on Vogons.
33. It is time to boldly go where many other men have gone before (and many have regretted): Start building an XT/AT system

This is where I am currently. I can't really tell where this is going, perhaps others who have progressed further in this hobby can tell me what lies ahead.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-07-29, 06:52. Edited 3 times in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 50, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will say my 5 year old son gives me an excuse to play games and work on the computers. He really enjoyed helping me build him a socket A system that he uses just about every day playing all the older educational games I grew up on in the early-mid 90s.

Reply 3 of 50, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somewhere in that list: Go crazy spending on monitors, CRTS, scalers, VGA to HDMI converters, OSSC, etc to finally realize that what you really want/need does not exist or costs more than you are willing/able to pay . Have hopes up for OSSC Pro .

Reply 4 of 50, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

33. It is time to boldly go where many other men have gone before (and many have regretted): Start building an XT/AT system

I've never dived deeper than 386DX. And most of my pre-Socket 7 and non-ATX stuff is just for some occasional benching, not really playing anything. To my taste, beefy* Slot 1/Socket 370 system is enough for Win9x gaming.

*Coppermine/Tualatin 1 Ghz+

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 50, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-07-28, 14:08:

Somewhere in that list: Go crazy spending on monitors, CRTS, scalers, VGA to HDMI converters, OSSC, etc to finally realize that what you really want/need does not exist or costs more than you are willing/able to pay . Have hopes up for OSSC Pro .

I think this is a branching path for people who want to record/stream videos. It's a whole other rabbit hole, really.

Reply 6 of 50, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Somewhere in that list: Go crazy spending on monitors, CRTS, scalers, VGA to HDMI converters, OSSC, etc to finally realize that what you really want/need does not exist or costs more than you are willing/able to pay .

^^^^^^^^

😁

*peeks innocently at a shelf full of extron&kramer gear*

Reply 7 of 50, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think this is a branching path for people who want to record/stream videos. It's a whole other rabbit hole, really.

That's more game console/old video players thing.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 50, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-28, 14:16:

I agree that it can be another rabbit hole if capture/streaming is the end goal . I just want the best visual experience possible (short of, in my case, using a CRT) while preserving 4:3 aspect ratio, having 70Hz refresh capability (where appropriate) and maintaining (near) integer scaling .

Reply 9 of 50, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You forgot the most important part: play your favorite childhood games on your retro rig.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 10 of 50, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-28, 14:39:

You forgot the most important part: play your favorite childhood games on your retro rig.

No one ever really does this 😁

Reply 11 of 50, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-28, 15:27:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-28, 14:39:

No one ever really does this 😁

yeah, if you actually make it to that part you're doing something wrong ^^

Reply 13 of 50, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@appiah4

Very nice enumeration. I found myself on many points. Maybe not the exact sequence and not every single point, but all in all very nice 🤣 For example i found and used Vogons very late in my retro careere.
I have nearly finished all my dreams, in 7 systems, now. I „only“ have to switch some card (which i already have) and install/optimize the Software and i am done, but i am grounded by the family. Ok, i have to post and update the systems in Vogons if i am „finally“ done with the systems. It’s a really frustrating situation to have no further goals/builds. For my lowest system i went from a 386 (which was my entry point in retro computing in 2006) to a 486 ISA system and i can do all early DOS stuff what i want with it. Thy Olymp for me was to build and max out a !stable! 486 VLB system @40MHz FSB - and configure a GUS fully in Win95.
I started in 1991 with an AT and it was a stable but always slow and disappointing system - for me. So i have no wishes to spend money and time in such a system. And i think it never will happen ... 😉

Next Level could be to build a System in commission.

PS: I am building, stressing and benchmarking each system for a couple of months, but i play games on it for only a few minutes, maybe hours.

Last edited by PC-Engineer on 2020-07-28, 15:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 15 of 50, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My experience has been a little different. I am 66 years old and at one time or another had most of these old machines. But I would just upgrade and move on, never really thought much about old computers. Then about 4 or 5 years ago I came across a huge stack of old computers in my local thrift store. Picked up an old Mac and a pentium 2 computer for $5 each. Came home and started searching the internet and found Vogons. That was the beginning of madness for me. Ended up buying most every computer that store had plus many more. My wife thinks i an senile. She may be right.

Reply 16 of 50, by utahraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thankfully I took a short cut

1. Become interested in a certain retro game or computer hardware
2. Find your way onto Vogons
3. Start reading up and accumulating information
4. Install dos box / munt and play 3 of your childhood games for about 30 minutes each, marvel at the MIDI sound and call it good.

Reply 17 of 50, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Switching from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 meant that old DOS games were no longer playable, at least if you wanted sound. VDMSound fixed the problem and I used it for many years. Then I got a 64-bit OS which wouldn't run DOS programs at all. That finally brought me to VOGONS.

Retro rigs were for games that couldn't be played via emulation. Many Windows 9x games are still today difficult to play without original hardware. I remember getting POD (1997) to work was particularly aggravating. I have a Pentium MMX rig just for that one game.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 18 of 50, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah Dosbox is awesome but I agree that Win9x is a different beast. Many games have patches (in fact all I play) either official or unofficial but there are still some games left which simply won't run on new platforms or operating systems.
And in my case it is really just nostalgia and collecting. No objective reason.

Others however are really playing those hard to run games and some might even run old applications.

Reply 19 of 50, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some of that stuff happened but most of that stuff never happened to me. Mostly becasue I am cheap, and am a hoarder. I also know better about hardware limits and incompatibility. I have learned a lot tho from vogons people and it made me change my opinion a lot.

Last edited by Warlord on 2020-07-28, 19:04. Edited 1 time in total.