Technological critique

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 164, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2020-07-26, 11:23:

Speaking of vinyl, what annoys me is those hipsters who adopt the format not because of its sonic quality, but because it's 'retro' and 'cool'

Tapes suffer the same fate. Because of nostalgia, cheap boomboxes with tapedecks started to reappear in stores - they all use the same tape mechanism, because there is only one left that is being produced anymore.
And it's extremely cheaply made. These machines don't even have Dolby noise reduction and only take standard tapes (Type I), so they sound really bad.

I feel sorry for anybody who buys one of these to relive the golden era of cassettes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezGOVOpHtc

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 42 of 164, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote on 2020-07-26, 14:59:
Tapes suffer the same fate. Because of nostalgia, cheap boomboxes with tapedecks started to reappear in stores - they all use th […]
Show full quote

Speaking of vinyl, what annoys me is those hipsters who adopt the format not because of its sonic quality, but because it's 'retro' and 'cool'

Tapes suffer the same fate. Because of nostalgia, cheap boomboxes with tapedecks started to reappear in stores - they all use the same tape mechanism, because there is only one left that is being produced anymore.
And it's extremely cheaply made. These machines don't even have Dolby noise reduction and only take standard tapes (Type I), so they sound really bad.

I feel sorry for anybody who buys one of these to relive the golden era of cassettes.

My understanding is that Dolby B and C can no longer be licensed from Dolby Labs . If patents have expired, it may be possible to legally recreate a similar circuit , though its unlikely that manufacturers of bottom of the barrel products would bother .

Reply 43 of 164, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tapes suffer the same fate. Because of nostalgia, cheap boomboxes with tapedecks started to reappear in stores - they all use th […]
Show full quote

Maybe that nostalgia in it's truest form? reliving the tech without the benefits? As lets face it, a household may have had 1 decent cassette deck but most round the house/car were average 😉
Maybe I should start selling cheap "hipster special" retro PC's with crappy video and sound cards 😜

Reply 44 of 164, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-07-27, 10:08:

Maybe that nostalgia in it's truest form? reliving the tech without the benefits? As lets face it, a household may have had 1 decent cassette deck but most round the house/car were average 😉
Maybe I should start selling cheap "hipster special" retro PC's with crappy video and sound cards 😜

If only you could get a hold of a 486 with a VLB bus slot. It would be worth a mint.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 45 of 164, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-26, 15:39:
Show full quote

My understanding is that Dolby B and C can no longer be licensed from Dolby Labs . If patents have expired, it may be possible to legally recreate a similar circuit , though its unlikely that manufacturers of bottom of the barrel products would bother .

I've heard conflicting things about whether Dolby will still issue licenses, but AFAIK the patents have expired. Seems like no-one views it as worth the money to reimplement though, possibly not helped by no new pre-recorded tapes being Dolby encoded. The same is true of the mechanisms, heads, and available tape stock: higher quality mechanisms could be manufactured, as could heads and better tape than bog standard Ferric, but no-one will because it's just not worth the cost of creating new tooling and assembly lines. Despite a small resurgence, tape is still super niche and the required demand for new high end gear just isn't there. It's possible that this is why, as far as I know, no-one's tried to produce a new fully automatic turntable with features like double sided play and track skipping either, despite vinyl's resurgence in popularity; they would price themselves out of the market with low volume production.

Like the Tanashin mechs in new tape players, a lot of record players from different brands are made by the same manufacturer based on common platforms.

Reply 47 of 164, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote on 2020-07-26, 15:13:

>wikipedia: removal of page dedicated to cm-32l

Why?

Lemme just stop you at "wikipedia". 😁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 49 of 164, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wikipedia is awesome, but it has it's issues. Overzealous "protectors" who automatically revert any edit that is not up to some imaginary, arbitrary standard (often existing solely in their view) without so much as offering any constructive explanation on what this standard is - is one problem that plagues certain domains. Then you either have to go hunt for "guidelines" on a number of contradicting WP pages, or go into a flat-out edit war with them, which in both cases is just a waste of your time, and so why would you even bother?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 50 of 164, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The story of the modern internet has been consolidation to a few web sites that each have a monopoly within their own domain. Wikipedia is an example of that.

dr_st wrote on 2020-07-28, 05:59:

Wikipedia is awesome, but it has it's issues. Overzealous "protectors" who automatically revert any edit that is not up to some imaginary, arbitrary standard (often existing solely in their view) without so much as offering any constructive explanation on what this standard is - is one problem that plagues certain domains. Then you either have to go hunt for "guidelines" on a number of contradicting WP pages, or go into a flat-out edit war with them, which in both cases is just a waste of your time, and so why would you even bother?

And so the viewpoint of 1-3 "enthusiastic" people tends to dominate what the world will read about any given subject.

I think it was healthier when anybody could post a website describing their own view, and people would see it and read it. Of course the quality varied, but readers had the opportunity to judge that for themselves instead of letting somebody else judge it for them. No particular website or organization had "the final word", nor should they in my opinion. I have a deep mistrust of centralized authority.

Coming up - independent discussion forums fall into obscurity, replaced with Facebook.

Reply 51 of 164, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote on 2020-07-28, 12:49:

And so the viewpoint of 1-3 "enthusiastic" people tends to dominate what the world will read about any given subject.

To be fair, I would emphasize, that it is not like this on every subject, but certainly on some of them.

I think it was healthier when anybody could post a website describing their own view, and people would see it and read it. Of course the quality varied, but readers had the opportunity to judge that for themselves instead of letting somebody else judge it for them. No particular website or organization had "the final word", nor should they in my opinion. I have a deep mistrust of centralized authority.

This is one reason why for specific niche topics that have a lot of interest, private wikis offering deep technical info have started to dominate. VogonsWiki, PCGamingwiki, StrategyWiki offer much better information on their specific topics than Wikipedia is, and frequently come higher in search rankings. Some very popular video game franchises have very detailed wikis dedicated just to themselves - Doomwiki and Rayman Pirate Community, for instance.

Coming up - independent discussion forums fall into obscurity, replaced with Facebook.

This has been going on slowly since Facebook has come to existence. My conclusion is that deep technical forums such as VOGONS (or any forum focused on a specific topic of interest that attract large crowds from wide groups of people) are almost not affected. Forums whose traffic has been mostly based on general chit-chat between cliques of friends suffer the worst, because they really have little to offer that a social network such as Facebook doesn't do better.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 52 of 164, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With cassette tapes, what would probably make them sell is switching to high bias, which is the type of blank tape that sold. But that would be a knock against the poor. I think I may have seen that last few pre-recorded cassettes for sale or something, if the Dolby license has expired, they don't make anything but blank cassettes.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 53 of 164, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The story of the modern internet has been consolidation to a few web sites that each have a monopoly within their own domain. W […]
Show full quote

The story of the modern internet has been consolidation to a few web sites that each have a monopoly within their own domain. Wikipedia is an example of that.

dr_st wrote on 2020-07-28, 05:59:

+. 👏🏼

As for Wikipedia: there's nothing wrong with the *idea* of a free and crowd-sourced repository of information about everything. But as usual with any sort of progress we get the same old story - great on paper, and would be the perfect thing in an ideal world, but then it runs head-on into human nature. You get herds and cliques, turf wars, ego pettiness, POV-pushing (wikipedia's "NPOV" policy has more holes in it than swiss cheese), political and commercial exploitation (paid editing is perfectly tolerated if it's disclosed, and often undetected when it's not disclosed), etc. - you name it.

A more specific issue is what gets defined as "notable sources", regardless of the fact that anyone's standard of "notability" has nothing to do with value. To take just a random sample of my own areas of interests (music, computing, history) - I can't even count the times I've mentally facepalmed over the unmitigated crap that gets peddled on WP, meticulously cited and referenced of course, as a result of this single factor. I'd trust "original research" (ever heard a worse pejorative?) from a *knowledgeable* person before I even dream of touching 80% of the sources that qualify as "notable".

There's also a specific type of selection bias, where the sources that actually get used are those that are easily available and accessible today. Especially with subjects dating from before the internet age, the number and quality of *contemporary* references is shockingly low, because nobody bothers - even when such things are available, say, on the Internet Archive with some digging. What you get is a distorted picture, which only grows more distorted with time, or what I call "creeping revisionism". Nobody intends for that to happen, mind you, but it simply does. Comes with the territory.

Even with all of that said - you could argue that this shouldn't be a problem, because there are always better sources. But when something comes at zero cost, most people are going to treat it as if it's *worth* nothing, and that goes for knowledge and information too. Wikipedia is the easiest and most accessible source of them all, and the great majority of people are simply going to stop there, and not take the extra effort of checking anywhere else. Paradoxically, there's more free information out there than there's ever been before in human history, but the net effect on the transmission of knowledge might even be negative.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 54 of 164, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote on 2020-07-28, 16:57:

With cassette tapes, what would probably make them sell is switching to high bias, which is the type of blank tape that sold. But that would be a knock against the poor. I think I may have seen that last few pre-recorded cassettes for sale or something, if the Dolby license has expired, they don't make anything but blank cassettes.

I'm highly biased against type 1 compact cassettes . 😉

Reply 55 of 164, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only tech critique I have to say is about hearing aids and how they work with other technologies. Specifically, I am talking about cochlear implants, I have one for my right ear since 2007.

If I want to listen to music or something else (like a phone call) with noise cancellation, I need to use a small bluetooth device as a "middle man" between my phone, computer, TV or any other device and my cochlear implant. It's not very practical.

But then, newer models of my cochlear implant can do that directly straight out of the box. I am not sure if the newer model requires another surgery or its just a new processor, but its still quite expensive.

Accessibility is a thing of this current tech era, so I wish the companies that develop phones or TVs could just find a way to do it directly. I don't really know why I have to use a small device as a bridge to have bluetooth pairing between my CI and a TV.

But then, that method just wastes my CI battery faster, and I still resort to normal headphones as a way to save the battery throughout the day. These batteries last 21 hours when new before a recharge, and with the wear they tend to last less (I think all my batteries currently have 16 or 18 hours per day now).

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 56 of 164, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What was the point of the "Give us feedback!" surveys on YouTube if Google/YouTube ultimately doesn't care about the feedback and goes ahead with changing things that did not require changes?

Why does nobody follow "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

If the reason is "I won't have a job if I followed that adage!" then maybe you should find another job.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 57 of 164, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mobile operating systems and apps suddenly changing how things work for no reason.

"Oh hey, you've been swiping left to close that window for the last 3 years? I bet that got boring, let's make it swipe down instead! Oh, and we'll change it to something else randomly in a year or so, just to keep things fresh!"

Also, change logs on app updates that state "fixed the space time continuum" or something similarly "witty" instead of telling us what the hell they actually changed. Don't let your marketing department write this stuff, use actual engineers for that.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 58 of 164, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-07-29, 04:13:

What was the point of the "Give us feedback!" surveys on YouTube if Google/YouTube ultimately doesn't care about the feedback and goes ahead with changing things that did not require changes?

Why does nobody follow "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

If the reason is "I won't have a job if I followed that adage!" then maybe you should find another job.

THIS. I have to applaud. If the forums had a such feature I’d have asked for this post to be pinned.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 59 of 164, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-29, 04:26:

Mobile operating systems and apps suddenly changing how things work for no reason.

"Oh hey, you've been swiping left to close that window for the last 3 years? I bet that got boring, let's make it swipe down instead! Oh, and we'll change it to something else randomly in a year or so, just to keep things fresh!"

Also, change logs on app updates that state "fixed the space time continuum" or something similarly "witty" instead of telling us what the hell they actually changed. Don't let your marketing department write this stuff, use actual engineers for that.

This too! Facebook engineers actually think they are funny but they aren’t.

JOBS, Steve.