Topic actions

Reply 35300 of 52622, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought last month but arrived this week:

ESS AudioDrive ES1868
Wow, what a sound card! I was 90% happy with my previous sound card, an AWE64, but I am 99% happy with the ES1868.

The AWE64 was very nice but there were two things I didn't like about it. First, it causes sound effects to skip in Build engine games when using an external synth, unless you reduce the sfx quality to 11khz. Second, I didn't care for how it handled FM synth. The ES1868 doesn't exhibit the Build engine bug, and features FM synth very close to the classic SB OPL.

I expected these improvements (that's why I ordered the ES1868 in the first place), but am also happy with the much simpler configuration (no more Creative PNP driver!) and, to my ears anyway, much better sound quality overall.

Sadly, it still suffers from a few issues I was somehow hoping it would magically resolve:

- Might & Magic III and Might & Magic IV still insist on muting the sound card's LINE IN when they launch, which prevents Roland music from playing. I assume the only way to resolve this is to use a dedicated MIDI interface card. Until then, the workaround is to just plug my MT-32 into the LINE IN on my speakers.
- Xargon is WAY TOO LOUD. I thought this might be some weird AWE32/64 bug, but I verified that it goes an sets the mixer values for the sound card itself from 8 to 14. Really bizarre.
- Configuring MT32 music for Spirit of Excalibur and the other games that use its engine (Vengeance of Excalibur and Conan the Cimmerian) slows the game down massively, rendering it unplayable (ultimately freezing). I assume these games are some of the few that only work with a genuine MIDI interface rather than SoftMPU.

For the first two issues above, I wonder if it's possible to "lock" the mixer settings somehow to prevent games from fooling with them?

Anyway, I'm VERY pleased with this card!

Reply 35301 of 52622, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote on 2020-08-01, 01:04:
NyLan wrote on 2020-07-31, 16:56:

I found and bought on eBay some speaker I had 25 years ago with my first Pentium 75 ! So happy to get it, the picture was clean and clearly white... but when I received them, I've been disappointed to see this yellowish color 🙁 Only 5$, but still...

A "magic" bath with Hydrogen peroxide later...

Now I can really enjoy them 😀

Nice work! I just switched over to the 12% peroxide bath + UV light method vs developer cream + plastic wrap myself. Works well - nice and uniform restoration vs streaking.

Do you bath it in 12% or dilute it at all?

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 35302 of 52622, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2 days ago I ordered a touch screen for the NEC Versa M/75. It's another 3M Microtouch screen, 5 wire, capacitve surface unit, but it looks to be quite a bit newer. I'm pretty sue I can build an adapter to make it work properly with the NEC.

Next up, I've got my eyes on a compatible Docking Station........I'm really digging this thing.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 35303 of 52622, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-08-01, 06:54:

I found and bought on eBay some speaker I had 25 years ago with my first Pentium 75 ! So happy to get it, the picture was clean and clearly white... but when I received them, I've been disappointed to see this yellowish color 🙁 Only 5$, but still...

Nice work! I just switched over to the 12% peroxide bath + UV light method vs developer cream + plastic wrap myself. Works well - nice and uniform restoration vs streaking.

Yep 12% but pure as I want to reuse it later 😀
I just didn't put the stuff in the bath directly because I don't have enough Peroxide to submerge all pieces completely.
Important :
- use a closed transparent case
- Do it during a sunny day. Even better if warm like now.
- be very careful when you open the case due to Peroxide gas
- be very very careful with your eyes when dealing with peroxide Not joking guys.

Attachments

• plan.jpg
    Filename
    plan.jpg
    File size
    22.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 35304 of 52622, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good job on the retrobrighting. In my experience unfortunately the yellowing comes back after a while (a year more or less, depending on the plastic)

Still a satisfying thing to do, but too bad the results are short-lived!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 35305 of 52622, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dilute it with water since it's a little pricey.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 35306 of 52622, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote on 2020-08-01, 14:58:

I dilute it with water since it's a little pricey.

That was what caught me of guard reading 12%! As it is ~ £15 for 500ml from my search.

Twitter

Reply 35307 of 52622, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found some at only 7€ for 1L. But if you do like me, even 500ml is enough since it's not a real bath, you don't have to submerge your yellow parts.
And if you use if pure, you can put it back into the bottle for the next time.

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 35308 of 52622, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't realize my new case was a celebrity! He even got a role in the game Black Mesa!

Attachments

• bmr.jpg
    Filename
    bmr.jpg
    File size
    424.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • blackmesapc2.jpg
    Filename
    blackmesapc2.jpg
    File size
    15.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • blackmesapc.jpg
    Filename
    blackmesapc.jpg
    File size
    140.03 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 35309 of 52622, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2020-08-01, 18:45:

I didn't realize my new case was a celebrity! He even got a role in the game Black Mesa!

I have one too:
AMD 5x86@160mhz., Media Vision PAS16. ( Win 95 )

Reply 35310 of 52622, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some random boxed purchases from my top shelf - some recent & some not so recent 🤣

7Id1wDYb.jpg

Might post even more boxed stuff later...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 35311 of 52622, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2020-08-01, 22:01:
Some random boxed purchases from my top shelf - some recent & some not so recent :lol: […]
Show full quote

Some random boxed purchases from my top shelf - some recent & some not so recent 🤣

7Id1wDYb.jpg

classic "Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today" post

Reply 35312 of 52622, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-02, 00:11:
Some random boxed purchases from my top shelf - some recent & some not so recent :lol: […]
Show full quote

7Id1wDYb.jpg

classic "Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today" post

Great stuff ! Dare I ask how much you paid ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 35313 of 52622, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

7Id1wDYb.jpg

A boxed Sound Blaster 1.5, very nice. I assume the contents of the box are complete?

Reply 35314 of 52622, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Horun:
I usually pay below normal eBay prices... but sometimes I just want something 🤣

pan069:
Yes. As far as I know it's complete. But not every box is CIB. At least the cards are all working 😀

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 35315 of 52622, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote on 2020-08-01, 14:53:

Good job on the retrobrighting. In my experience unfortunately the yellowing comes back after a while (a year more or less, depending on the plastic)

Still a satisfying thing to do, but too bad the results are short-lived!

Can't be otherwise, the yellowing often is a combination of yellowing in the sun and degradation of the plastic itself.

That is why black gear is better. 😉

Reply 35316 of 52622, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

7Id1wDYb.jpg

Amazing!

Twitter

Reply 35317 of 52622, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

7Id1wDYb.jpg

I remember that Fahrenheit 1280° Plus... 😀
Very nice. Especially dig the GrafixStar 600. I was on the lookout for one for years but couldn't find a boxed example which was decently priced. Also a sealed ISA Mach64. That's just decadent. People are going nuts over regular ones without accessory already. Just imagine what people would do for a boxed one and then... wrapped with cellufane. Dear god... 😁

Reply 35318 of 52622, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy balls!!!

Reply 35319 of 52622, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today the mailman brought me a few hard disks.

- 4,3GB WDC 14300, 1999. This seems like the only one that is fragile :p
- 6,8 GB Samsung SV0682D, 2000
- 8,4GB WDC 28400, 1999. big brother of the first one 😀

Now there rises another problem: which computers to put them in? Need some more I guess 😉

Stuck at 10MHz...