VOGONS

Reply 2400 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hot air is great for reworking stuff, without doubt ... but for assembling I prefer the good ol' iron + flux + wick technique.
For assembling you need some really good quality solder paste, which usually isn't cheap.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2401 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering this thread is already borderline with the admins (I did ask before opening this thread or rather as it developed) since the sale/wanted section was removed for a reason. I'm going with Synoptic's and 640k's opinion as well.

[Z?]

Reply 2402 of 3172, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All,

Buying and selling is not allowed here on VOGONS. Any such further activity by individuals will result in bans. You have been warned.

Also this thread was created by shock for "Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards", if your post has nothing to do with the topic then create your own thread.

Continue to violate the above items at your own peril.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2403 of 3172, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a few questions about this project: Is there a difference between the GUSAR Lite and the ARGUS? Have there been any schematics released for any of these, or is this still a closed project? It would be really cool to add one of these to my build, but if the project is still in limbo, I may just have to go with an original GUS.

Reply 2404 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TelamonLivesOn wrote on 2020-07-19, 22:54:

Is there a difference between the GUSAR Lite and the ARGUS?

The ARGUS is the design that is being discussed in this thread, while the GUSar designs were not-so-welcome derivatives of ARGUS based on the schematics that were released for an earlier prototype revision. The GUSar Lite is a somewhat feature-reduced version, while there is another board that is supposed to be roughly equivalent to the ARGUS. Without having looked at the other designs, I can't say for sure that they are truly functional equals. It is worth pointing out that we are trying to keep discussion of non-ARGUS designs to a bare minimum, lest we suffer the wrath of the forum moderators; if you must ask about or discuss the GUSar designs, please do it in a thread dedicated to that topic.

Have there been any schematics released for any of these, or is this still a closed project?

The schematics for an earlier-revision ARGUS prototype are presumably still available in this thread. They were immensely useful to my understanding of the ARGUS design, but because of the appearance of the knock-offs, we are unlikely to see schematics for subsequent (meaning current-generation) revisions.

It would be really cool to add one of these to my build, but if the project is still in limbo, I may just have to go with an original GUS.

Testing of the release candidate boards is on-going. Following that, the final boards will be ordered and made available to the original donors and contributors. After that production run, shock__ may use his remaining stock of InterWave ICs to make boards generally available.

Reply 2407 of 3172, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
peklop wrote on 2020-08-09, 21:58:

Who will add Mitsumi, Sony and MKE intefaces to the interwave clone board first? 😀

Hopefully nobody.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2408 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peklop wrote on 2020-08-09, 21:58:

Who will add Mitsumi, Sony and MKE intefaces to the interwave clone board first? 😀

In 2020, I doubt the number of people who would use such a "feature" is particularly high; certainly not enough to warrant the increase in cost per board. For ARGUS, we're mainly at the fix-it-if-it's-broken stage; feature changes are exceptionally unlikely at this point, especially for something like this.

Reply 2409 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What 640k said ... additionally the InterWave doesn't have support for CDROM drives ... therefore additional circuitry would be required (likely 2 bus drivers + a GAL/decoder) ... therefore not gonna happen on the ARGUS and not exactly a useful feature in my definition either.

[Z?]

Reply 2410 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2020-08-12, 15:23:

What 640k said ... additionally the InterWave doesn't have support for CDROM drives ... therefore additional circuitry would be required (likely 2 bus drivers + a GAL/decoder) ... therefore not gonna happen on the ARGUS and not exactly a useful feature in my definition either.

So, no hope for a modem add-on either...
/s

😀

Reply 2411 of 3172, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Synoptic wrote on 2020-08-12, 21:27:
So, no hope for a modem add-on either... /s […]
Show full quote
shock__ wrote on 2020-08-12, 15:23:

So, no hope for a modem add-on either...
/s

😀

Even if support for it was added to the card, modems are very painful to setup for modern-day use. You would need to get some sort of VOIP to Analog converter and a telephone simulator, along with a way to bridge the connection to an ethernet network. At that point, it would be way more practical to just insert an ethernet card into the machine and use it alongside the ARGUS. After all, the resource usage wouldn't be too different from if it was integrated onto the ARGUS.

Reply 2412 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the two months delay, I've had RL stuff to sort out etc.
The brackets are ready, and will be PMing everyone that showed interest.

Thanks, W.

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 2413 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad news once again ... lost my job yesterday (on the day I was with the company for exactly 1 year) even tho my contract was limited to 2 years.
Intended to celebrate it with my workmates, when the head of department called at 8:20am, that my termination letter was just sent off via courier.

Becoming unintentionally unemployed doesn't break my back financially, but makes the whole "collect money for something private" extremely problematic. Expect another delay.
Ain't it funny? I intended to start the money gathering process on monday ... kinda glad I did not - especially since this termination came absolutely unexpected, after getting amazing feedback less than 2 months ago.
Supposedly the company has to scale down - which seems realistic, but the whole process seems to have been extremely short sighted (supposedly it was decided on tuesday, with selections on wednesday and terminations on thursday).

Sorry.

Last edited by shock__ on 2020-08-21, 13:07. Edited 1 time in total.

[Z?]

Reply 2415 of 3172, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah man sorry to hear that!
as you said at least it happened before you started collecting money, 1 less thing to worry about after all.
As always real life commitments come first, good luck!

waited 20 odd years for a GUS, few more aren't going to hurt when these things do get released to the masses 😀

Reply 2417 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
20200827_154922.jpg
Filename
20200827_154922.jpg
File size
469.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20200827_154913.jpg
Filename
20200827_154913.jpg
File size
651.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Doing postage pricing now, will send out PM's to those who have shown interest over the weekend.

They fit perfectly in my test machine and there is sufficient wiggle room on the bracket for minor alignment differences with each card.

EDIT2: 4 brackets left

EDIT: sorry to hear about your employment shock_ hope you find some thing you enjoy that's secure soon.

Last edited by Whiskey on 2020-08-29, 12:55. Edited 1 time in total.

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 2418 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I am not yet on the list: I would like one too. I think it fits on the GUSar Lite as well
Edit: oops. Missed the google sheet.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC