VOGONS

First post, by VoodooTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I’m in the middle of building my retro gaming PC and I’m looking for a PCI card to pair with my Asus TUSI-M motherboard. The card I was eyeballing on eBay got sold unfortunately, so now I’m stumped!

Perhaps someone is willing to sell their spare Voodoo 5 5500 PCI or a Voodoo 4 4500 PCI or at least point me in the right direction? I’d pay extra for an original box, manual, driver CD, etc. Preferably someone from Europe.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers, guys!

Reply 1 of 14, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trading, selling and buying is banned on this forum. See VOGONS is no marketplace!

The card shows up every now and then on ebay and the likes. Just wait till the next one shows up and don't hesitate next time.
If you aren't ready to pay current ebay prices (which I totally understand) you aren't going to find a card cheaper here or on other retro enthusiast forums. People who know the hardware know the prices.

Reply 2 of 14, by VoodooTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoops, I was not aware of that rule. Thanks for letting me know, it won’t happen again!

Price isn’t the issue, PCI cards are just much harder to come by. There are several Voodoo 5 AGP cards on eBay right now, but no PCI versions (save for a Macintosh version). That’s why turned to this forum for help.

Reply 4 of 14, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's one on UK eBay (listed as "Ideal for Amiga Mediators"), which at £350 is still not cheap, but cheaper than the Mac card that's for sale in Poland.

I lucked out buying mine from the USA as known faulty. Repaired and working great albeit with aftermarket cooling it came in at under £140.

Reply 5 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-08-10, 13:05:

Yeah, the rules aren't communicated very well, I agree.

If you want to spend the money you can flash the Mac version to work in a PC.

the "no buying/selling/trading" rule isn't even listed in the official rules page

ucp.php?mode=terms

Reply 6 of 14, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VoodooTV wrote on 2020-08-10, 12:37:

Whoops, I was not aware of that rule. Thanks for letting me know, it won’t happen again!

Price isn’t the issue, PCI cards are just much harder to come by. There are several Voodoo 5 AGP cards on eBay right now, but no PCI versions (save for a Macintosh version). That’s why turned to this forum for help.

Get the Mac version and flash it with the PC version bios, you'll have the added benefit of dvi out.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 7 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-08-10, 15:35:

the "no buying/selling/trading" rule isn't even listed in the official rules page

ucp.php?mode=terms

Yeah, That probably needs to change. These "looking for" and I have this for sale" type threads show up on a very regular basis.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 14, by VoodooTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ucp.php?mode=terms

That’s why I was confused. I read the rules, so I was surprised to find out this type of post was not allowed.

paradigital wrote on 2020-08-10, 15:24:

There's one on UK eBay (listed as "Ideal for Amiga Mediators"), which at £350 is still not cheap, but cheaper than the Mac card that's for sale in Poland.

I lucked out buying mine from the USA as known faulty. Repaired and working great albeit with aftermarket cooling it came in at under £140.

Huh, no matter how hard I try, I can’t find that card anywhere.

Nice find! I doubt I posses the skills to attempt such a repair. Good job!

Reply 9 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want a PCI Voodoo 5 5500 as well. I did buy one of the AGP to PCI adapters that work with 3dfx cards so there is that option... you just have to find a way to mount the video card somewhere else and use a riser cable along with it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 14, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VoodooTV wrote on 2020-08-10, 16:41:
That’s why I was confused. I read the rules, so I was surprised to find out this type of post was not allowed. […]
Show full quote

ucp.php?mode=terms

That’s why I was confused. I read the rules, so I was surprised to find out this type of post was not allowed.

I didn’t think I was capable of repair at first, but now I tend to hunt out damaged retro pieces (not just 3dfx) just for the challenge of fixing them!

Here’s the UK based PCI card:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114332449475

Reply 11 of 14, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Again, this is probably one of those rules of this site that you only stumble about after browsing for some time, but posting links to active ebay auctions is also frowned upon because it's a good way to circumvent the 'no trades' rule and always creates the suspicion of advertisement.
Please understand I'm not accusing anyone here, I'm simply stating that this is always a grey area on Vogons and is likely to get this thread locked (I think it had briefly been locked already) even though the OP has distanced himself from trying to buy the card here.

Reply 14 of 14, by VoodooTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2020-08-10, 17:18:
I didn’t think I was capable of repair at first, but now I tend to hunt out damaged retro pieces (not just 3dfx) just for the ch […]
Show full quote
VoodooTV wrote on 2020-08-10, 16:41:
That’s why I was confused. I read the rules, so I was surprised to find out this type of post was not allowed. […]
Show full quote

ucp.php?mode=terms

I didn’t think I was capable of repair at first, but now I tend to hunt out damaged retro pieces (not just 3dfx) just for the challenge of fixing them!

Here’s the UK based PCI card:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114332449475

Thanks! From the looks of it the seller only ships to the UK, though...

Miphee wrote on 2020-08-10, 19:34:

Wow, that description in the UK listing! 😁
I feel like a criminal just reading it. 😁

Right? Not exactly the most inviting seller... 😁