VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, please let us collect dosgames that are critical to run and what issues they suffer from.
Perhaps some of those issues can be solved via update/patch or changing the hardware.

Issue-Collection:

- Speed sensitive (200mhz TP-Bug)
- has issues with more than 16MB ram / or riquires a special ram-configuration in oder to run.
- has issues with more than 512MB harddisk or partitionsize
- requires a special hardware (gfx-card, soundcard)
- etc.

Greetings
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 2 of 5, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-08-11, 09:37:

JimPower:
- Speed sensitive
- 512MB HDD bug

What this 512mb HDD bug?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 3 of 5, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

only a view games suffer from that. From elsewhere:

theelf wrote:
In real DOS […]
Show full quote

In real DOS

I tested Jim Power in 3 different PCs

386DX40 - 2GB HDD FAT16 - DOS6.22
5x86 133mhz - 38GB HDD FAT32 - 2GB FAT16 - DOS6.22
Pentium 2 333mhz - 80GB HDD FAT32 - DOS7

In all computers, the game freeze, and hangs

After many test, I realize, the game dont freeze in the 386 if I play from floppy disk, but have random freeze from hard disk

I change the 1GB hard disk, with other smaller, a seagate 160mb, FAT16, and works OK

I think, the game have a problem with partitions FAT16 more than 512mb (cluster size?). Works Ok in FAT12 and FAT16 512mb or less

In the 5x86 without turbo (40mhz) and Pentium 2 without cache, from floppy the game run OK too

It seems this game is very sensitive to two things

1 - Speed of CPU (40mhz max?¿)
2 - disk drive

To successfully play Jim Power without any freeze in DOSbox, do this

1 - Download the game with installer, and the trainer

2 - Extract Jim Power file in to a temporary folder, for example "c:\games\jiminst" and mount in dosbox

3 - Inside dosbox, install Jim Power to disc C (install c, the game always install in a folder called "JimPower"

4 - mount Jim Power game folder to A: like a floppy

mount a c:\games\jimpower

Is important to mount JimPower folder, to have all files in root of virtual A floppy

5 - Copy trainer to A

6 - Before play game, set cycles to 3500, no more!

4 - Start game from drive A: with trainer (cf-jim)

5 - In start screen, press F11 to unlock keys

Is important to play game from A drive. From C drive, is cycles are 3500 or lower, the game look like is working OK, but have random crashes...

From A drive, and cycles 3500, I finishes the game yesterday without any trouble. From disc C and and cycles 3500, the game work Ok until second stage, when have a crash

NOTE: With the installer, the crack is not necessary. Using crack is easy. But if want to use game without crack, just configure the keys and joystick before mount to A

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-12, 02:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 4 of 5, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure this is what you call a game that is "critical", but Air Power from Rowan Games comes to mind as being a peculiar game.

It had its own two custom VESA drivers if you wanted to play the game in SVGA mode: one "fast" and one "universal", and they don't work on all video cards. I've seen more than one screenshot here on Vogons where they don't work. The universal driver even requires you to add parameters to your EMS manager (e.g. EMM386) in the CONFIG.SYS. All very unusual!

I don't think it can or should be fixed. Even though I love the game's setting, it just isn't a very good game.

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 5 of 5, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cannon Fodder doesn't run well on faster machines (Pentium MMX). It also struggles with certain video cards like the S3.

Wrote a bit about it here:
Cannon Fodder: Graphics & Sound issues and how to fix them!

Visit my YT Channel!